[Pre-ADwD Spoilers] Jon 2 - Spoilers for ADWD

Jon Targaryen

Or do you think the church of Rh'llor was founded by some fraud who found a book of nondenominational magic spells he passed off as prayers?

Actually... when Thoros told his biography he himself said that spells were part of R'llorian ritual. He just never saw them work until Beric. Also, Thoros admitted that he had some vision powers from the beginning - and they were the reason why he wasn't booted from the priesthood of R'llor despite his less than devout ways.

And BTW, Thoros gives his Kiss of Fire to a lot of dead - certainly to all the BwB's dead.... yet it only works on very few individuals. So, we have the case of:

magic only works _for_ certain people

Kiss only works _on_ certain people (very few)

and since it all seems so unpredictable, it looks like a divine intervention to Thoros.

I bet that the same was true for Melisandre - she already knew that she was special because of the visions, then R'llorian spells suddenly worked for her - and she instantly believed herself to be her god's chosen prophet!

But of course, it is just the case of magic being stronger for everybody who has the ability to work it and knows proper spells.

Thoros gives his Kiss of Fire to a lot of dead - certainly to all the BwB's dead.... yet it only works on very few individuals.

I think the kiss works on "resolute" people.. if i remember correctly, GRRM himself said that thoros's kiss works better if the dead person had a mission, or wanted something really bad.

maybe this is the reason

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry if I'm asking something that should be obvious, but where can I read Jon's second chapter? I read the first one on GRRM's "sample" web page.

Other Jon chapters, beyond the one on GRRM's website, have been read by him at various conventions and reported on by BwB members who attended. They have not been issued in any form on the internet or elsewhere.

Beyond the chapters that GRRM has given us on his website, the only other chapters that have been issued for general consumption are the three Dany chapters that were issued in a mini-booklet several years ago, and a

Theon/Reek

chapter in a magazine a few months ago.

Other Jon chapters, beyond the one on GRRM's website, have been read by him at various conventions and reported on by BwB members who attended. They have not been issued in any form on the internet or elsewhere.

Beyond the chapters that GRRM has given us on his website, the only other chapters that have been issued for general consumption are the three Dany chapters that were issued in a mini-booklet several years ago, and a

Theon/Reek

chapter in a magazine a few months ago.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm suspecting Bowen Marsh will be the traitor, but that may be too obvious... I'm hoping it's not Grenn and Pyp, they're the only close friends Jon still has on the Wall, even though he hasn't hung out with them for awhile.

From the Sam chapter in AFFC, I think Jon realizes that Stannis needs to succeed in order for the Night's Watch to survive, or the Lannisters may destroy them once Stannis is finished. It's a tough call on Jon's part, but he has the Night's Watch interest in mind the entire time. There is a conflict of vows and much ambiguity, yes, but Jon is holding his ground as much as possible without insulting Stannis completely. What would Lord Commander Janos Slynt be doing if he had been elected...? Running the Night's Watch into the ground I'm sure, and aligning it with the Lannisters probably. Jon is the best hope for the Night's Watch in this situation, and maybe even for the North as well.

The wildling decision, I'm sure, will come back and bite them all in the ass later on, but for the meantime they may be useful. There will be also some interesting interaction between Jon and Melisandre once Stannis goes off to war. She may be watching Jon's back, even though Jon does not wish to become dependent on her... perhaps one of her shadow men will be stopping any attempts on Jon's life?

The Night's Watch is filled with interesting minor characters: Ulmer of the Kingswood, Iron Emmett, Pyp, Dolorous Edd, Grenn, Janos Slynt, Alliser Thorne... I'm excited to see them all fleshed out in the next book.

I agree that Bowen Marsh will be the traitor. I believe that Marsh has wanted to become the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch for a long time. He knows that with Jon Snow as Lord Commander, unlike the previous Lord Commanders Jon isn't old so he won't be dying from natural causes anytime soon and he's more like to outlive Marsh, so if Marsh ever wants to be Lord Commander, Jon is going to have to be out of the picture. Plus, to see what he perceives as a green boy who has only been part of the NW for two years and rumored to be a traitor chosen over the Lord Steward of the Night's Watch for years and defeated the Weeper at the Bridge of Skulls is probably taken as an insult.

Archived