Jon Snows parents

smokeyvamp

I am new here so hello to everyone :)

I am also fairly new to reading ASOIAF, I started about a month ago and now on feast for crows.

There has been somthing thats been bugging me since the first book and the more I advance along the more it keeps bugging me and seeming right.

Im sure its come up along the lines somewhere on this forum, I did look but couldnt find anything.

Im convinced that Ned stark is not Jon Snows father.

At first I couldnt explain why I thought this other then I just wanted to believe Ned didnt break his wedding vowles but now more crops up to make me think that Lyanna was actualy Jons mother and Ned took him on as his own to save his sisters honour.

I refuse to except Ned could go to such stubburn extents about his honour and yet cheat on his wife.

I think when Ned found his sister she was actualy dieing from giving birth and (this is where my theory will probably fall apart) that Rhaegar is is father, another reason to lie about his parantage.

This is all probably leading to somthing greater for Jon down the line ie birth rite (after all wouldnt that make him heir to the throne rather then Daenerys)

Anyway id be interested in what others thought and if this is all already discussed then forgive me im new :)

I am also fairly new to reading ASOIAF, I started about a month ago and now on feast for crows.

There has been somthing thats been bugging me since the first book and the more I advance along the more it keeps bugging me and seeming right.

Im sure its come up along the lines somewhere on this forum, I did look but couldnt find anything.

At first I couldnt explain why I thought this other then I just wanted to believe Ned didnt break his wedding vowles but now more crops up to make me think that Lyanna was actualy Jons mother and Ned took him on as his own to save his sisters honour.

I refuse to except Ned could go to such stubburn extents about his honour and yet cheat on his wife.

I think when Ned found his sister she was actualy dieing from giving birth and (this is where my theory will probably fall apart) that Rhaegar is is father, another reason to lie about his parantage.

This is all probably leading to somthing greater for Jon down the line ie birth rite (after all wouldnt that make him heir to the throne rather then Daenerys)

Anyway id be interested in what others thought and if this is all already discussed then forgive me im new :)

Here is a thread to discuss this. A lot of people have the same opinion, but you might be better suited to speculate there :)

Yeah there are a lot of theories, and even more posts about this. I, personally, am a believer in Ned+Lyanna=Jon, as crazy as it is.

It's highly unlikely that Ned is the father if Lyanna is the mother. George has said in a SSM that Jon was born about 8-9 months before Daenerys. Since she was born around 9 months after the Sack of King's Landing, that puts Jon's birth at somewhere around the Sack, and his conception at a few months into the year-long war. So for Ned to be the father, he'd have to have found Lyanna a few months into the war, sleep with her, then lose her again to Rhaegar. Seems like a very contrived scenario to me.

Here is a link that gives a very detailed break down of who is possibly Jon's parents with quotes from the books...I'm in 100% In agreement with u...I personally feel Rhaegar & Lyanna are his parents an there are clues thru out the books to prove this an this site will help out tremendously....

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/mlarchives/faq/jon.html

• 1 month later...

Yeah there are a lot of theories, and even more posts about this. I, personally, am a believer in Ned+Lyanna=Jon, as crazy as it is.

It wouldn't really surprise me, we've read about incest in the books, maybe even too much for my taste. Then again, it's GRRM... Therefore, your theory can easily turn out to be true :eek: I can only really, REALLY hope it's not! I like Ned's character too much!!!

Here is a link that gives a very detailed break down of who is possibly Jon's parents with quotes from the books...I'm in 100% In agreement with u...I personally feel Rhaegar & Lyanna are his parents an there are clues thru out the books to prove this an this site will help out tremendously....

http://www.angelfire...es/faq/jon.html

Thanks for that link. The Rhaegar/Lyanna = Jon theory does seem compelling.

I think it's clear from everyone's recollections (apart from Robert) that the relationship between Rhaegar and Lyanna was a consensual one.

Rather than looking to prophecy, I think it's simpler to assume that Rhaegar was just infatuated with Lyanna (and she presumably with him) - particularly given that he had no real choice in his marriage to Elia of Dorne.

I wonder if the two of them might have gone through a form of marriage. The first Aegon, after all, married both his sisters, so bigamy isn't out of the question, at least for Targaryens. In which case, Jon (if he is indeed their child) would have a very strong claim to the Iron Throne.

I don't think the Iron Throne is Jon's destiny.. I believe that belongs to Daenerys. But I do believe that Jon's parents are Rhaegar and Lyanna. It makes perfect sense, because the prophecy states there must be three heads of the dragon. Daenerys is obviously one - the second head is revealed in ADWD - and that leaves Jon to be the third (unless, of course, another new character emerges later).

I think that Ned concocted the story of Wylla to protect the secret of Jon's Targaryen bloodline, probably with Wylla's consent.. and she is the one who will reveal his true parents. After all, I think she may be the only one alive who knows the truth now that Ned is deceased.

• 2 months later...

Archived