[ADWD Spoilers] A Pattern to the Singers' Eye Colors?

Hello, all...loooong time lurker, first time poster. Made this account just to post this topic. So, something caught my eye in one of the Bran chapters when he is talking to Bloodraven. This is more speculation than an actual theory, but there may be an unfinished pattern in there. Here is the quote.

"In a sense. Those you call the children of the forest have eyes as golden as the sun, but once in a great while one is born amongst them with eyes as red as blood, or green as the moss on a tree in the heart of the forest. By these signs do the gods mark those they have chosen to recieve the gift."

Chapter 34, page 498 eBook version.

Now, what got me thinking is that these eye colors can be accosiated with different seasons.

Yellow - Fall

Green - Spring

Red - Summer

The green is obvious, yellow and red less so. My first inclination is that red is the "hottest" color so it should be summer and yellow would be fall, as leaves tend to turn yellow in the fall--among other colors. However, we could also go with:

Yellow - Summer

Green - Spring

Red - Fall

The reasoning behind this combination is that the yellow eyes of the singers are described as "as yellow as the sun," and the red eyes are described as "as red as blood." Blood and red also work for fall, as things are dying--hence the blood--and also because as we all know that some leaves turn red in fall--again though, among other colors.

Now, if there is indeed a pattern--and it would make sense that there is, as the singers are very much tied to nature and its workings in the books--what happened to winter? Why is this pattern unfinished? ARE there children with blue eyes? If so what does this signify for them? Have they too been chosen by the gods just like those with red and green eyes? If so, what have they been chosen for? Could these maybe-existant blue-eyed singers have something to do with the Others?

Like I said, a little speculation on something that caught my eye as soon as I read it. Could be nothing, but it did seem to me as if there was a pattern there and the fact that it wasn't finished stood out to me.

It feels too color-coded, I don't like it. Not to mention that I'd expect a more even distribution of eye colors if that were the case...as it stands "fall" and "spring" eyes are very rare.

Though I do like the thought of the Others being Singers.

Has anyone found out what makes Singers' eyes red yet? Green eyes are obviously greenseers, but I'm not certain that red eyes are wargs...

It feels too color-coded, I don't like it.

Yeah, and that's my major issue with the idea as well. It does seem a bit too clear cut.

But like I had said, it felt did feel like there was a pattern being established there and it feels odd that if it IS a pattern, why wasn't it finished? Maybe because of who was relating the information to Bran?

I mean, this IS the same guy who decided that all of the warging basics (Or Warging Ethics I should say?) brought up in the prologue weren't needed for Bran...

EDIT: Yes, Pappy, the wights rise with blue eyes.

Another tie-in could be the "Seasons of Our Love" song that Tyrion learned from Tysha and occasionally hums a few lines to himself:

1.) "I loved a maid as fair as summer, with sunlight in her hair": summer = golden

2.) "I loved a maid as white as winter, with moonglow in her hair": winter = silver (including blue in this context?)

3.) "I loved a maid as red as autumn, with sunset in her hair": autumn = red

The "autumn" line is sung by someone else at Riverrun. I have no idea what the "spring" hair color is supposed to be-- but Shaggy's eyes are indeed green. I think Lady's were golden. Not sure about Nymeria's or Grey Wind's.

It feels too color-coded, I don't like it. Not to mention that I'd expect a more even distribution of eye colors if that were the case...as it stands "fall" and "spring" eyes are very rare.

Though I do like the thought of the Others being Singers.

Has anyone found out what makes Singers' eyes red yet? Green eyes are obviously greenseers, but I'm not certain that red eyes are wargs...

All Singers are skinchangers. Those with either green or red eyes are 'greenseers'

Very interesting theory, it could be that the eyes do signify the seasons with blue obviously being winter. btw do you know the color of shaggydog's eyes? Ghost's eyes are red, IIRC summer's are gold, if shaggy's are green that could signify something as well

This actually came up in another thread. ShaggyDog had greenish eyes, Ghost had red eyes, the other 4 had yellow/golden eyes.

All Singers are skinchangers. Those with either green or red eyes are 'greenseers'

Hmm...there could be something to that. So Fall and Spring have the least representatives in the Singers. Fall and Spring are the transition seasons in Westeros and if Im not mistaken, they are also the shortest seasons, with Winter and Summer making up the bulk.

So, perhaps if these Winter/Blue-eyed Singers were to exist, would they be as plentiful as the Summer/Golden-eyed ones?

Hello, all...loooong time lurker, first time poster. Made this account just to post this topic. So, something caught my eye in one of the Bran chapters when he is talking to Bloodraven. This is more speculation than an actual theory, but there may be an unfinished pattern in there. Here is the quote.

Chapter 34, page 498 eBook version.

Now, what got me thinking is that these eye colors can be accosiated with different seasons.

Yellow - Fall

Green - Spring

Red - Summer

The green is obvious, yellow and red less so. My first inclination is that red is the "hottest" color so it should be summer and yellow would be fall, as leaves tend to turn yellow in the fall--among other colors. However, we could also go with:

Yellow - Summer

Green - Spring

Red - Fall

The reasoning behind this combination is that the yellow eyes of the singers are described as "as yellow as the sun," and the red eyes are described as "as red as blood." Blood and red also work for fall, as things are dying--hence the blood--and also because as we all know that some leaves turn red in fall--again though, among other colors.

Now, if there is indeed a pattern--and it would make sense that there is, as the singers are very much tied to nature and its workings in the books--what happened to winter? Why is this pattern unfinished? ARE there children with blue eyes? If so what does this signify for them? Have they too been chosen by the gods just like those with red and green eyes? If so, what have they been chosen for? Could these maybe-existant blue-eyed singers have something to do with the Others?

Like I said, a little speculation on something that caught my eye as soon as I read it. Could be nothing, but it did seem to me as if there was a pattern there and the fact that it wasn't finished stood out to me.

I like this, also Drogon has Red eyes, Viserys Gold and Rhaegar Green I think, or something similar - correct me if I'm wrong - and as someone else pointed out Ghost has red eyes, Summer - Gold & Shaggy Dog - Green

I like this, also Drogon has Red eyes, Viserys Gold and Rhaegar Green I think, or something similar - correct me if I'm wrong - and as someone else pointed out Ghost has red eyes, Summer - Gold & Shaggy Dog - Green

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/55460-adwd-spoilers-eye-color/page__p__2628513#entry2628513

aye

its also worth mentioning that:

1. Melisandre has red eyes

2. The naath has gold eyes ( Missandei's pepole)

The Naath believe in one god, the Lord of Harmony, who has existed and will exist for all time. He is the source of creation.

sounds like the old gods to me and even more after looking at that sentence by Leaf when those who have the gift dont tend to live long since the world needs balance.

Blue eyed Children are Others-Winter's children...

I think it's a fascinating idea, but there's something important to remember: the Children/singers are much different in stature than the Others. To me, this suggests that it's unlikely that they're members of the same species.

However, we still don't know what happens to the boys that Craster sacrificed to the Others. Celtic mythology is full of references to members of the fae courts abducting human children and raising them as soldiers/servants. It may be that the Others are not the true masters and there could be something like blue-eyed children behind or associated with them.

Celtic mythology is full of references to members of the fae courts abducting human children and raising them as soldiers/servants. It may be that the Others are not the true masters and there could be something like blue-eyed children behind or associated with them.

Indeed a possibility--and I always did kind of like the idea that the Singers and the Others are kind of like the Seelie and Unseelie.

Bran has blue eyes. Does this make him winter's child?

It just might. Like I mentioned before, Bloodraven did not give Bran a run down of the Warging Basics (or as I like to call them, Warging Ethics) that were presented to us in the prologue. Bran is already doing morally questionable things. And we all know how children with great power and no one to curb them end up...monsters.

Archived