Joe Abercrombie - A Red Country

Topher

I'm certainly looking forward to this. Interesting that there seems to be a lot of variety in the different parts of the narrative, so I guess it is more along the lines of Best Served Cold, rather than the more static The Heroes.

Western fantasy is pretty much the best idea ever.

It's not exactly a new concept. There's a Robert E. Howard Conan story (possibly more than one, I'm no expert) with very clear Western elements, complete with evil, bloodthirsty Picts as a neat racist analogue to Native Americans.;)

It's not exactly a new concept. There's a Robert E. Howard Conan story (possibly more than one, I'm no expert) with very clear Western elements, complete with evil, bloodthirsty Picts as a neat racist analogue to Native Americans.;)

Not to mention The Dark Tower, Mieville's Iron Council and last year's Half-Made World by Gilman.

But yeah, if this takes any inspiration from Deadwood, I'm there. Maybe the Swearengen character is Logen... >_>

Oh, I know. I've always loved stories with that western atmosphere in a fantasy setting- it's why I'm a big Dark Tower fan (and even like some of the later books more than most people) and really enjoyed Iron Council. And since Abercrombie is one of my favourite authors, I can't imagine I won't love this. I should check out this Conan story, though, thanks for the recc.

Edit: Also, Gilman's Half Made World sounds interesting. Worth reading?

Edit: Also, Gilman's Half Made World sounds interesting. Worth reading?

It's the coolest beans this side of that left-over chili you accidently tossed into the freezer instead of the fridge cuz you were on some sort of drug.

Is Dread Empire actually getting finished? I'd be ecstatic if it is the case!

A Path to Coldness of Heart is coming in Janurary 2012 according to Night Shade, so next year is already awesome with new Abecrombie and Cook ( hopefully ).

A fantasy western certainly sounds intriguing and something that I've wanted to read more of. It was the reason why The Gunslinger was my favorite part of The Dark Tower series.

I'm just curious how stand alone we're talking when he says "semi-stand alone". I've been meaning to read Abercrombie but already have a pretty large pile of books to be read. It'd be nice to be able to just pick this up if I haven't read his other work before this one is published. I don't doubt his other books are good, but this one piques my interest a bit more that the others.

A fantasy western certainly sounds intriguing and something that I've wanted to read more of. It was the reason why The Gunslinger was my favorite part of The Dark Tower series.

I'm just curious how stand alone we're talking when he says "semi-stand alone". I've been meaning to read Abercrombie but already have a pretty large pile of books to be read. It'd be nice to be able to just pick this up if I haven't read his other work before this one is published. I don't doubt his other books are good, but this one piques my interest a bit more that the others.

Standalone in the sense that the story is standalone, but still part of the same setting and time period. It is not part of a the series, but some of the reoccurring side characters existence and/or roles may spoil earlier books.

Yup, the opening trilogy establishes a new status quo in the world (which can possibly be compared to a Cold War-style stand-off between opposing powers) which is then the backdrop for the stand-alones. You can certainly read Best Served Cold, The Heroes and (presumably) Red Country without having first read The First Law, but it adds a lot of fun and more interesting depth to them if you've read the books in order first.

I doubt it. If he's still alive I don't think we'll see him again until the next trilogy.

I agree. No feature appearances from any of the main POVS until the next trilogy is the impression I'm under. So that's Glokta, Logen, Ferro, Jezal, Dogman and West (at least two of these characters might be dead). When you see what a good job he has done with Shivers, Cosca and Caulder, I'm hoping he goes for the fleshing out of some pre-existing characters from the first trilogy or either the stand-alones.

The old empire is a hazy memory for me now. Can anyone remember if any characters showed up in that part of the "epic" quest? That or someone from the Union quit being a soldier/politician and went to seek their fortune out there. Maybe the woman Glokta met with a couple of times?

Archived