House Stark armor design

Vympel

Was anyone else a bit disappointed with the costume design for the House Stark army? In particular - why are all basically wearing variants of the same outfit? Ned, Robb and random Stark infantry - its all the same thing. And the armor doesn't really make sense in so far as Robb is concerned - he's got elements of plate armor yet his entire chest is basically only protected by nothing more than studded leather - whilst Theon in the same scene is wearing full plate. Huh?

Or am I missing something?

Tywin's armor looked pretty good (the armor you see him in after Tyrion wakes up after the battle), also the armor looks far better then other TV shows of similar genre, its just a matter of budget, giving everyone plate armor would be insanely expensive.

I understand that, but we're talking about Robb Stark. Surely the first son of Eddard would have plate armor - Theon has it! It just seems really odd for the most important person in the north's army to be so poorly protected.

Take for example, Loras Tyrell's mangificent looking suit. Nothing that fancy, but surely Robb would have had something made for him. Maybe in Season 2. In the books this was the first time he ever fought in a war, after all.

Honestly, I was more disappointed in the design of the direwolf sigil of house Stark than the plate and armor. I am sure Season 2 will give Robb the proper attire for battle. Its very cliche. Another thing I was disappointed in was the lannister helms/helmets. WTF!

I understand that, but we're talking about Robb Stark. Surely the first son of Eddard would have plate armor - Theon has it! It just seems really odd for the most important person in the north's army to be so poorly protected.

Take for example, Loras Tyrell's mangificent looking suit. Nothing that fancy, but surely Robb would have had something made for him. Maybe in Season 2. In the books this was the first time he ever fought in a war, after all.

It depends what you're protecting from. Coming from the North, and with winter approaching, protection from the elements (specifically the cold) would be an issue. As such, thick leather would be better in that regard compared to plate armour of equal weight. Moreover, based on the design (the raised, rectangular patterning on the coat), I believe Robb and the Northmen in general wear something called a 'coat of plates'; which has metal plates sewn or riveted into a leather tunic/coat. This gives the wearer a fair amount of protection while maintaining some of the advantages of leather armour.

Another thing to consider is fighting style. As should be obvious, full plate armour is incredibly heavy. As such, wearing it on top of leather would cause a person to tire out quicker - which is very, very bad in warfare. Hence, a person who spends a significant amount of time fighting on foot might opt for lighter armour.

And this is all before taking cultural aspects into the equation. In short, armour selection is a complex decision which involves more than just 'metal armour > leather armour'.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if the snow plays a part here...when you're knee deep on snow heavy armor plates could be a major problem and we all know that the Starks love to remind the world that winter is coming, so maybe its just what suits them. The ironborn avoid heavy armor too since they fight on their ships and armor like that certainly means drowning...

Heres' a couple of shots of his armor from c. episodes 9 & 10

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Baelor-game-of-thrones-460x258.png

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Graphics/Gallery/Previews/GameOfThrones_Stark01_Screencap_40.jpg

I actually rather like the look of it. Not sure I agree that it wouldn't be suitably protective. You've got quite a lot of plate elements there, the arms, pauldrons, the the top of the chest.

As for armor in general... eh, the Lannister armor annoys me for it's odd "Japanese" styling (especially the helms, wtf?). Jorah's armor was the best, just plain old plate.

http://media.screened.com/uploads/1/16883/522149-jorah_in_armor.png

ETA: Actually looking at it, the... waddaya call it... upper chest part of Robb and Jorah's armor look pretty similar. I guess they tried to keep a consistent "northern" look, even across the Narrow Sea. Cool touch, HBO.

I thought at least the Ironborn that are faithful wore plate or chain because they have no fear of drowning due to their faith in the Drowned God? I remember Victarion making disparaging remarks about weakings who feared drowning and didn't wear heavy armor as I just finished my reread of AFFC.

You're right...guess I should've said SOME ironborn wear plate others dont

• 2 months later...

Was anyone else a bit disappointed with the costume design for the House Stark army? In particular - why are all basically wearing variants of the same outfit? Ned, Robb and random Stark infantry - its all the same thing. And the armor doesn't really make sense in so far as Robb is concerned - he's got elements of plate armor yet his entire chest is basically only protected by nothing more than studded leather - whilst Theon in the same scene is wearing full plate. Huh?

The northern brigandine type armour system is a leather with metal plates riveted in. This is used in the cold harsh north because it is somewhat lighter than a steel plate plus giving flexibility when using hand weapons. I have worn plate armour and if it covers the body, in a consistently cold climate, will lower your body temperature and you will get hypothermia in the end - even if you have padding underneath the plate.

The northern armour system will protect againt sword slashes as good as Mail haulberks but will not be as effective as plate when it comes to withstanding a sold thrust from a sword, pike or spear.

If struck by a poleaxe, warhammer or war axe it will probably cut through but even if you wore plate armour the kinetic energy of such a blow will shatter bones and rupture internal organs and tissue.

Hope this helps.

The northern brigandine type armour system is a leather with metal plates riveted in. This is used in the cold harsh north because it is somewhat lighter than a steel plate plus giving flexibility when using hand weapons. I have worn plate armour and if it covers the body, in a consistently cold climate, will lower your body temperature and you will get hypothermia in the end - even if you have padding underneath the plate.

Nevertheless the same thing happens while wearing a ringmail.

I didn't notice it tbh, and I doubt most people did. Now you've pointed it out I'll probably end up judging it when I rewatch, but since I'm in it for the story it doesn't bother me. For the most part I thought the costume and set for the TV series was excellent.

Archived