[TWoW Spoilers] Arianne I

KSC

Tagging just in case...

I'll bet she's thinking that exactly. Too bad maybe-Aegon seems set on marrying his aunt.

so, you want him to marry his cousin instead?

EDIT: Loving that "shiny" comment, sounds just like Aegon.

Interesting stuff.

Seems like "Aegon" survived the capture of Storm's End at least. Would have been awfully anticlimactic if he managed to get himself killed that early, of course, but given how so far he hasn't really demonstrated much in terms of competence, there was some doubt in my mind.

I'm guessing that the Tyrell army on the way to Storm's End is not that big, in fact it's probably just the force they sent out after learning that Connington had returned and before he captured the castle.

Is there a reason given why Elia is coming along for this trip?

I wonder if the Tyrells have neglected to throw quite as much of their lot in with the Lannisters as everyone was meant to think. Between Lady Olenna's involvement in Joffery's murder, the conveniently vague and protracted "death" of Loras, and two fishy conquests of Storms End in a row, I'm starting to think that Highgarden has been playing a much longer game than it's seemed.

IA. I always felt that they flip-flopped too much so they aren't that trustworthy.

I'm eager to learn what Aegon/JC did to take Storm's End so quickly.

Another implication is that some other lords have joined their cause, otherwise it seems like facing the Tyrells in open combat would be a bad idea. Hard to imagine that the Tyrells don't have a sizable edge in numbers, tho very likely the GC is far superior in terms of experience, discipline and probably leadership.. Especially if it's Mace leading the host.. If it's Tarly then things get verrry interesting.

Word.

*seethes*

I have a big problem with these interlopers and carrion eaters fighting over Storm's End, like any of them have any right to it. Someone get one of Robert's bastards legitimized, that's the seat of House Baratheon, dammit. :)

Connington was lord of storm's end back in his hand days, so he would know the best way to get in. i think he mentions in his last chapter that there will be sneakiness involved.

storm's end is considered the strongest castle in westeros, right? so griff and aegon being based at storm's end would be a real advantage when facing off with the tyrells and co.

I'm eager to learn what Aegon/JC did to take Storm's End so quickly.

Another implication is that some other lords have joined their cause, otherwise it seems like facing the Tyrells in open combat would be a bad idea. Hard to imagine that the Tyrells don't have a sizable edge in numbers, tho very likely the GC is far superior in terms of experience, discipline and probably leadership.. Especially if it's Mace leading the host.. If it's Tarly then things get verrry interesting.

Connington was lord of storm's end back in his hand days, so he would know the best way to get in. i think he mentions in his last chapter that there will be sneakiness involved.

Connington was only Hand for a short while and during that frame of time, the Tyrell's were sieging it against Stannis for close to a year. So his title of lord of Storm's End was likely an honourary title (and a reward for after quelling the uprising) so I doubt whether he had supreme knowledge of a fortress he never took ownership of.

Very interesting though. I wonder why GRRM picked this particular chapter to read and not the Sansa/Arya/Cersei/Damphair one.

Did he perchance mention anything about uploading the chapter on his website? Like he used to do with preview chapters for AFfC and ADwD?

Probably closer to release, I'm sure the chapter will go through shitloads of rewrites.

Very interesting, thanks for the synopsis all!

Since this subforum is part of the ADWD forum and there is a warning for TWOW spoilers in the title we don't have to use tags here, right?

Regarding the "one of 2 chapters moved" question: I guess Trebla meant "one of 2 Arianna chapters" rather than "one of 2 TWOW chapters"? After all, we know more than 2 chapters were completed and since Martin isn't writing right now he could hardly have junked them by now.

Very interesting that Connington is planning to meet the Tyrell army (the part on its way to Storm's End) head on.

A couple possibilities:

-it's a relatively small Tyrell army as Jon AS speculated, the Tyrells may have underestimated the situation. In this case, the Margaery situation may not have been resolved yet with a pretty large part of the Tyrell forces remaining in KL and only the rest off to face the Golden Company. Connington would presumably still be outnumbered but could win due to the GC being an effective, experienced fighting force (think "band of the red hand" in WOT, for those who have read that)

-the situation with Margaery has been resolved and the bulk of the Tyrell forces (minus the part defending the reach, with Garlan) is approaching. In this case, if Connington is planning to meet them head on then possibly either a number of lords have joined him or he is counting on part of the Tyrell army to defect shortly before or even during the battle.

Elia Sand is 14, right? I'll second the notion of wanting to know why she was sent along, seems not very appropriate even for a Sand Snake. Interesting that they meet signs of the Children of the Forest - is this a reminder Bran and Bloodraven are watching, maybe? There must be a story related reason to mention this.

I'm guessing Connington and Aegon may have pretended to be a relief force for the garrison; they only had to overwhelm the small Tyrell holding force to be quite believable, especially if they used the correct banners to pretend allegiance for Stannis (burning heart etc)? However they took the castle, I'm curious if they put the garrison to the sword or if they spared those who surrendered, hoping on Stannis bowing down to Aegon once the latter would control the south.

Was anything mentioned about the Connington relatives/captives at Griffin's Roost?

Is Myrcella still supposed to be returned to KL, or are Nym and Tyene now supposed to turn back? If Arianna decides to side Dorne with Aegon, those sand snakes would be in big trouble in KL and letting Myrcella go would be stupid (unless Doran is afraid Aegon will demand her death, in which case he might let her go to avoid that).

I'm also wondering if Arianne will attempt to one-up Quentyn by succesfully doing what Quentyn could not (though only the readers know at this point): marrying a Targaryen (or a supposed one, at least).

Seems like Storm's End being taken this quickly must be through a ruse, and for storytelling purposes I could see that being done to speed up the plot and because we will get to see a siege of Storm's End anyway since the Tyrells are marching there.

So as expected after ADWD, Connington and Aegon are going to use Storm's End as a holdout until such time as they are ready to move to King's Landing. It seems unlikely they'd just want to take Storm's End and leave it at that and wait for Dany. Waiting for Dany does not seem to be part of the plan at all, except in the sense that she is the ideal marriage candidate when she returns to Westeros.

So looking at what this may mean for their storyline in ADWD, looks like the fight will be between Connington/Aegon and the Tyrells for the duration of book 6, ultimately leading to either a defeat of Connington/Aegon, or a Tyrell defeat that would lead Aegon towards or even on the Iron Throne by the end of book 6. Hard to say what will happen to Cersei and the boy king, but the Lannisters are a diminished presence now.

Asd for the battle at Storm's End, a good friend of mine suggests paralles to the Siege of Acre. Connington would withdraw to Storm's End after a defeat on open battle, or withdraw there right from the start, whilst the Dornish take the Tyrells in the back. We expect that over the course of ADWD the Connington/Dorne alliance will be settled, and the Dornish have no love for the Tyrells anyway. End result: Tyrells gets sandwiched.

Otherwise, like Wouter I am very interested in any description that could be conveyed about them being in the cave where markings of the Children were found. This could just be worldbuilding on GRRM's part, but it would be nice to know the description of that, if it seemed remarkable etc.

I'm stilling hoping that GRRM still plans the scenes at the Rock - and that those scenes involve Cersei raising an army in the West. A nice 3-way fight between Tyrell, Lannister, and Aegon/Dorne would be awesome. If only because it makes it easier for Connington to conquer Westeros before he dies. I'll damn sad if the man doesn't pull it off before he dies/Aegon fucks it up for him.

Archived