Making editing easier

mor2

if you guys have tips, tricks or some genral insights on what makes your life easier, do share :commie: just the same if there is something you wish or have trouble with, dont be shy to ask, Scafloc is usually around with helpful insights.

Tough crowd... it doesnt have to be DEEP insight or serious. a simple when you get those cursed SQL errors , it's a good time as any for a coffee run...

some experience or fun observation to make our time editing more pleasant or at this point a simple hi can be nice, just to know that Song of ice and fire editors are out there, live and kicking :thumbsup:

Well I saw that we currently have more then 4000 articles so I guess a celebration is order :cheers:

Great job everybody! And a special cheers for for The Pale Griffin with over 6000 edits in the last 91 days!!! Not to forget everybody else of course. If you look at the list of lot of people are working on the wiki. Great to see!

Thank you for saving me from having to post a fun fact about me talking to myself.

Other than that, either our fellow editors dont really visit this part of the forum or they think that this is silly :(

well anyway, cheers for 4000 articles, respect for Pale Griffin Editing and ASHaber. if we had userbars I would have made you something silly about it, but as it is as long as we are gaining on the French, it's all good B)

4000 :) Cheers, it's good news !

well anyway, cheers for 4000 articles, respect for Pale Griffin Editing and ASHaber. if we had userbars I would have made you something silly about it, but as it is as long as we are gaining on the French, it's all good B)

It's not a race mordin, it's a collaboration :)

BTW, you worked so hard that we now have a lot of interlink to add/repare.

Still no news of the italians or the spanish-guys ?

Lol. When I put this sig, the wiki of ice and fire didn't even exist ^^

And as I choose "don't show the signatures" in the profile settings, I even forget it was there.

No you didn't screw templates, but new articles, articles renamed and things like this automaticaly make interlinks to do/repare.

if new articles is the problem, then I am happy to keep you occupied ;) as for renames only made few (for consistancy) but unless it's something todo with the en-fr bridge, that I am not familiar with its workings, there shouldnt be a problem with wiki auto generated redirects.

speaking of en-fr bridge, I was using bable fish to make sense of fr-wiki and create a few links between articles, the trouble with its translation is that it translates page names as well, thus leaving me guessing as to the original page names for the links... any ideas how to avoid it (beside learning french).

btw for anyone who edits regularly, I suggest to check out the option for advanced Recent changes show(something with java), i find it very useful.

speaking of en-fr bridge, I was using bable fish to make sense of fr-wiki and create a few links between articles, the trouble with its translation is that it translates page names as well, thus leaving me guessing as to the original page names for the links... any ideas how to avoid it (beside learning french).

Learn french!

Or you can make a research in english on the french wiki, each article contains the "Nom en V.O." (name in original version) so if you write "arys oakheart as research on the french wiki, you will find the good page, "Arys du Rouvre".

Or you can use this page : English / French asoiaf dictionnary

This is something I can use (to bad we dont have a bot thou).

Btw anyone seen Pale lately? Anyway, it seem that the Featured Article section is kind of stale, how about our top posters Pale and ASHaber nominate a new one (I'll even do the technical part)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway, it seem that the Featured Article section is kind of stale, how about our top posters Pale and ASHaber nominate a new one (I'll even do the technical part)

I believe that Scafloc nominated Tyrion's page, and that is why it has been under so much construction lately. I beefed up everything from the top down to the ACOK summary, but the rest of the page still needs some editing/tweaking, particularly the new Relationships section. It would be great if we could get everyone doing more work on it!

Reverting back to the original question of improvements, has anyone considered altering the file path from index.php to simply wiki? Shorter URL would be awesome.

Additionally, is their a specific reason to why the article tabs have no name? This same oddity results in user page and user talk page just displaying 'user' and main articles just having a barely visible tab.

I like the Idea of 'short path' very much but it seem to me that the idea etitles few complication, first we used a shared host(for the forum and wiki) thus I assume it's not something that it's entirely up to us and second unless it comes with some kind of backward computability redirects, many people would have trouble accessing their favourites.... in either case the person who can say yeah or nay is RAN.

about the tab problem, I have posted about it before, it's something we got after the recent software upgrade, that still needs to be fixed.

Ah, okay - missed that post. That is an odd issue with the tabs.

As far as the "short path"-ing, it shouldn't cause any links to break as far as interwiki - only any direct-to-current-url-bookmarks people may have. I saw it done once before and its a farely painless process on the backend (just adding a couple lines of code) and all pages update and continue to link (again, only interwiki) correctly. Hopefully, any direct-url-bookmarks would be easily remedied when those people visited the page by just updating the bookmark.

Thanks, Scafloc, that would be a great! one little request thou, if you include few editions there, please rearrange it so the first column is always the edition that is referenced in Citadel Concordance(I think it's US UK UK UK US)

p.s. I just figured out that those Rollbacks, are not a quick way to undo the last change as I thought but to undo all changes by the last editor, thus using older revision are usually better (especially if it's best to provide a reason for the change).

Archived