The Rule of Robert (What went wrong?)

One-Armed Bandit

that is an intersting idea... except to me a conqueror has ambition and aspirations for power...imvho Robert was not particularly ambitious, he was an emotionally immature man who had power thrust upon him.. and he simply was not up to the task... I mean his pastimes were fighting drinking and womanizing... and even at the end f his reign he wished he could leave it all behind ( a quote from eddard I AGOT springs mind but don't recall it exactly]

aside to morgoth

if you highlight the text you want quoted then press fast reply a small button with "add selected text as quote" and press that..

voila... perfect quotes :D

I don't think we disagree, Shewulff. I think it was stated earlier in this thread that characters such as Donal Noye and Ned Stark actually stated that Robert was a great one for winning the throne but he wasn't good at all with ruling after he won it. I think the throne was just another prize (albeit, the greatest) to him and he wasn't interested in it after he got it. He spent the rest of his life casting about for the next thing to conquer but, militarily, there was nothing to compare so he turned to women, tournaments, etc. That's why I think, if he had been able to "have" or "conquer" his "true love" Lyanna Stark, he would have quickly grown tired of her and moved on to the next conquest.

I guess that makes the throne just another one of Roberts whores. Cersei thinks in Feast (thinking about how much Robert would have enjoyed Taena Merryweather) Robert would have loved you, for an hour. But once he spent himself inside you, he would have been hard-pressed to recall your name. Robert loved taking the throne, but after that he was just bored with it and wanted something else to entertain him.

Robert loved taking the throne, but after that he was just bored with it and wanted something else to entertain him.

I disagree. Robert went to war to kill Rhaegar (and all other Targs, I suppose) and to save his own skin, as well as Ned's. He never wanted the throne, he says as much to Ned in AGoT (can't remember where exactly atm).

I disagree. Robert went to war to kill Rhaegar (and all other Targs, I suppose) and to save his own skin, as well as Ned's. He never wanted the throne, he says as much to Ned in AGoT (can't remember where exactly atm).

I think he mentions it to Ned when they're in winterfell. I'm probably wrong and if I am I'm SURE that someone will let me know.

That's a good point and I think we're all basically saying the same thing. Robert was a warrior first and foremost and he absolutely loved defeating his enemies (who happened to be the ruling family). In Westeros, taking out the ruling family wins you the throne whether you like it or not.

This brings up some other interesting questions: Did Robert know he would automatically be King if he defeated the Targs? Or was he only interested in winning the war and then the question of who'd be chosen to replace Aerys would be sorted out after? In other words, was the kingship thrust upon him by his peers after the war (and, if so, did they do it because they were wise enough not to want it :cool: )?

This brings up some other interesting questions: Did Robert know he would automatically be King if he defeated the Targs? Or was he only interested in winning the war and then the question of who'd be chosen to replace Aerys would be sorted out after? In other words, was the kingship thrust upon him by his peers after the war (and, if so, did they do it because they were wise enough not to want it :cool: )?

Your question is interesting enough but I also think that it goes without saying that if you take out the king and the ruling family then you are the new king. Can you imagine what it would have been like if Robert refused the throne? Who would have pushed for it? I think that there would have been wars between houses as to who SHOULD be the king. Do you think that Tywin would have bid for it? Stannis? Renly? Ned Stark (I doubt it).

I don't know that there's anything written about this. I know that Robert said that he didn't want to be the king. He also alludes that Ned should have been king and not him. It seems apparent that he hated being a king.

The problem of Robert was that he had the best claim upon the throne. The Baratheons had a bit of Dragonblood and so the only way to end the rebellion and not leading it in a civil war was to set someone on the throne with legitimation and for Roberts misfortune it was him, even if he didn't like it. He himself said that other had done more to win the war that himself, but the Trags removed he was the one with the best claims. Even if he was a bad king (well not that bad; he spent a lot of money but that was all, for the rest he wasn't that bad) there was no one else who could sit on the iron throne without starting a rebellion of the other lords, IMO.

Your question is interesting enough but I also think that it goes without saying that if you take out the king and the ruling family then you are the new king. Can you imagine what it would have been like if Robert refused the throne? Who would have pushed for it? I think that there would have been wars between houses as to who SHOULD be the king. Do you think that Tywin would have bid for it? Stannis? Renly? Ned Stark (I doubt it).

I don't know that there's anything written about this. I know that Robert said that he didn't want to be the king. He also alludes that Ned should have been king and not him. It seems apparent that he hated being a king.

Absolutely, but what I'm wondering is if Robert was actively pursuing the throne or if he was just warring during the rebellion? I think it's the latter. From what we saw of Robert's personality I don't think he gave the war's aftermath much thought at all until the time came. Of course, when the war ended he was the best choice because he had the most Targ blood in his heritage and he was the heroic figurehead of the rebellion.

It's just that I get this amusing picture in my head of all the leaders of the rebellion playing hot potato with the kingship. I can imagine them standing in a circle pointing fingers at each other saying "I don't want it, you take it" when deciding what to do after the fighting :)

Absolutely, but what I'm wondering is if Robert was actively pursuing the throne or if he was just warring during the rebellion? I think it's the latter.

It's just that I get this amusing picture in my head of all the leaders of the rebellion playing hot potato with the kingship. I can imagine them standing in a circle pointing fingers at each other saying "I don't want it, you take it" when deciding what to do after the fighting :)

I think that Robert fought the rebellion because of the peril that his house was in and the same for House Stark. I agree that Robert fought without any thought of being the king. I'm willing to stand by that.

I think that had the crown been offered up that Tywin Lannister would have taken it. There is no question in my mind about it.

I think that Robert fought the rebellion because of the peril that his house was in and the same for House Stark. I agree that Robert fought without any thought of being the king. I'm willing to stand by that.

I think that had the crown been offered up that Tywin Lannister would have taken it. There is no question in my mind about it.

I completely agree! Power-hungry Tywin Lannister would have been the first one grasping at the crown if it were up for grabs.

I'm just having a little fun applying modern-day standards to the question of who wants to be king? I mean, what conscientious, sane person would want to be a king, president, etc.? As we've seen in the books and in real life, it's a losing proposition any way you slice it!

I completely agree! Power-hungry Tywin Lannister would have been the first one grasping at the crown if it were up for grabs.

I'm just having a little fun applying modern-day standards to the question of who wants to be king? I mean, what conscientious, sane person would want to be a king, president, etc.? As we've seen in the books and in real life, it's a losing proposition any way you slice it!

agreed.

As am I.

This is also why I think it completely unfair of Dany (who of course can't really be blamed, because she doesn't know any better) to keep calling him Usurper (with the capital U, no less). Robert did not seek to usurp the throne. He fought to defend himself and his best friend, as well as their houses. And, of course, in the vain and misguided hope of saving Lyanna. This is, IMO what sets him apart from people like Balon and Theon Greyjoy, Cersei and Tywin Lannister and, yes, even Dany and Stannis.

• 11 months later...
Robert was weak of character from the beginning. He fathered his first bastard when he was still with Jon Arryn in the Vale. He didn't lose Lyanna to Rhaegar. She never wanted to marry him because unlike Ned she saw his vices. Robert was just unfit to be king. Disaster was inevitable.

I just seem to love dredging up old topics, but then again I have time on my hands this week so here goes.

The main reason Robert was chosen as the contestant was because outside of the Baratheons and Martells none of the other houses had a legit claim. But he was an exceptional warrior.

...once.

• 4 years later...

One: King Robert should'nt drink on his wedding. Yes. He should to be COMPLETELY SOBER in his marriage bed. He was nice for Cersei after ceremony it was good beginning.

Two: he should try from all his might to be extremely discreet about his whoring. Maybe Cersei could feel shadow of the shadow some "gratitude" for that.

Three: he should listen his Hand. Really listen and did what Jon said.

Four: he should send Jaime Lannister on the Wall and execute Pycelle. Maybe Varys too.

Maybe I am wrong...

Robert was an idiot and completely incapable of governing, that's what went wrong. Instead of dealing with the problems of the realms, he spent all his time drinking, whoring and hunting, even when there were serious crisis at hand. He went hunting for days when two of the most powerful families of the realm were practically in open war against each other.

Archived