Filming season 2 in Croatia!

Tom the Merciful

I must say I am pretty excited about the news published on winter-is-coming.net. I always new Croatia (not only Dubrovnik) had a great potential as a filming location for fantasy movies/series. There's a great variaty of landscapes - from mediteranian to continental. There are ruins and castles from both Greek/Roman and medieval periods. Climate is such that within 200 miles you can find extremely warm summers and extremely cold winters with snows that would not be put to shame in comparison with Winterfell's.

Dubrovnik can stand in as Storms End, or Dragonstone or King's Landing, but also as any city on Essos. There's a tower that looks really close to Ted Nasmith's picture of Storm's End, in fact. There's another that is built right on the cliff above the sea and in the background there's a steep hill that can be made to look lie a volcano with some CGI work.

Close to Dubrovnik, there's another walled town - Korčula. Also close is Ston, with longest defensive wall in Europe which used to be borderline between Republic of Dubrovnik and Ottoman Empire.

Some 200 km up the coastline, there's Split with a lot of well-preserved Roman architecture (Diocletian Palace is a must-see, BTW), and yery close to Split is the town Trogir, another walled town with a lot of venetian architecture and an interesting medieval fortress on the seafront.

In the continental part, near the city Karlovac (built on 4 rivers), there are many castles - one of them is triangle-shaped like Riverrun. Varazdin is also potential location with a preserved old city center and a beautiful medieval castle Trakoscan very close.

I loooove Croatia! I went with my husband back in 1999, we drove from Italy to Slovenia to Croatia, and down the coast. I remember Split, Pula, Rovinj.. Such a beautiful country, the cities are incredible! Now I want to know when GoT is filming there, maybe I can talk the husband into a second visit.. :wideeyed:

I loooove Croatia! I went with my husband back in 1999, we drove from Italy to Slovenia to Croatia, and down the coast. I remember Split, Pula, Rovinj.. Such a beautiful country, the cities are incredible! Now I want to know when GoT is filming there, maybe I can talk the husband into a second visit.. :wideeyed:

Last, unofficial info is autumn/winter. However, since it has to be on screen in April and filming is ongoing on Iceland, I'd say it'll happen very soon.

I live in Split :smoking: Used to work in Dubrovnik for some time too. Anyway, I've been thinking lately about going to audition for extras but logistics isn't really on my side at the moment.

And, according to Croatian portals shooting will start on September 19th and will last four weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting piece of information. There are some photos published from set in Dubrovnik here:

http://www.tportal.hr/showtime/film/149095/Giuliano-statira-u-seriji-Game-of-Thrones.html

Even though Dubrovnik stands for Kings Landing, you will find Jorah Mormont on some photos, together with KL City Watch.

Croatian TV also showed a brief report and interview with Janos Slynt on yesterday's news.

Interesting piece of information. There are some photos published from set in Dubrovnik here:

http://www.tportal.h...of-Thrones.html

Even though Dubrovnik stands for Kings Landing, you will find Jorah Mormont on some photos, together with KL City Watch.

Woo Jorah looks awesome if a bit ragged... and sweaty... :blushing:

Why is he there though, are they shooting some scenes of him without Dany? He's practically always with her in aCoK.

There is one small part where Jorah goes to the Docks to get news of Westeros and to try to get ships (that's how they discover Robert is dead),

maybe this is doubling as the Quarth docks as well as KL? Or maybe it is just rehearsals for a fight scene or something.

THANKS FOR THE LINK!

They're also filming the Quarth scenes in Croatia so it's no surprises that Iain Glen is around. Emilia Clarke should be there as well.

Exactly, Emilia, Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage are expected to show up in Dubrovnik any day now.

Right I'm just thinking it must be a scene without Dany in it since she wouldn't have arrived by the time pics were taken, correct? So I was speculating on what scene it might be.

This link was posted on Winter Is Coming...includes some truly cryptic stuff on Dany's storyline

"...or they represent parts of the world which Dany finds herself, which I have to keep a secret because it's not exactly as in the books, It's close, but we don't want to give away all the surprises."

Hmm...I'm really hoping this means she's going to free the Unsullied in this season!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if they bring some stuff from the third book in the second season. Daenerys has like 5 chapters in the second book...that's not much. They might do the same with Robb and Jaime. I say more power to them...I actually cannot wait to see Arstan aka Barristan Selmy joining Dany.

I wouldn't be surprised if they bring some stuff from the third book in the second season. Daenerys has like 5 chapters in the second book...that's not much. They might do the same with Robb and Jaime. I say more power to them...I actually cannot wait to see Arstan aka Barristan Selmy joining Dany.

Yes, the only significant thing Dany does in this book is in the House of the Undying .

Archived