Howland Reed and Arthur Dayne

Tyroshi Sellsword

For Lyanna and Rheagar's child (if they really did) to be legal in line for throne, then their had to be some sort of legal wedding ceremony with some legal precedent for bigomy since Rheagar was married to Elia of Dorne.

The polygamy issue has been covered by others.

A legal wedding ceremony would not be hard for Rhaegar to arrange.

very minor ADwD spoiler

we saw that a northern wedding requires only a bride, a groom and a witness, in front of a heart tree. And we saw that a greenseer (Bran) can witness events through the heart tree even through time.

I think we will see him (H reed) eventually. I would also like to see Greywater Watch. Is he as honest as Ned? Will he be a POV Character? If not, he could just say

"Yeah...I took down Arthur Dayne all by my lonesome...pretty much...no help at all from Ned...Im a badass.....Oh and Jon your parents are Blah blah blah...........but lets get back to the story on how I kicked Dayne's ass"

Everyone else that knows the truth is dead, he could make up any story. I guess we will never know for sure?

Everyone else that knows the truth is dead, he could make up any story. I guess we will never know for sure?

I made this same point somewhere: why would anyone believe that Jon is really the heir to the realm? I mean, you keep it secret for 20 years, everyone who can corroborate it is dead, so what good would it do for it to come out now? What difference would it make? And who would believe it anyway?

Even if

Bran somehow sees it all through his tree power, no one would believe him either.

I do just want to meet Howland Reed, though. We'll probably have to wait until the last book, which is at least 5 years away... :crying:

IMO the Tower of Joy is the most haunting and interesting event to theorize about. At the end of the day, its going to come down to Lyanna's secret (promise me, Ned) and yeah, I think AD/NS/HR stopped fighting and made an agreement. Remember, AD and Rhaegar were BFF's.

I don't think it was a poisoned arrow. After all, Dayne was covered in full plate mail. An arrow isn't going to do anything to him.

I've always thought that Reed stabbed Dayne from behind with his trident, perhaps in the joint at the knee, right before Dayne was readying to kill Stark. IIRC, we don't know explicitly if it was Reed or Stark who killed Dayne.

"Yeah...I took down Arthur Dayne all by my lonesome...pretty much...no help at all from Ned...Im a badass.....Oh and Jon your parents are Blah blah blah...........but lets get back to the story on how I kicked Dayne's ass"

That would be awesome if the last book was 1500 blank pages with a single one paged chapter titled Howland Reed and it contained only this verbatim! And he waited 5 years from the previous book to release it!

• 2 weeks later...

I've read the whole topic and I was surprised that no one mentioned Meera's fight with Summer. When I first read it I actually though something like so this is what killed Dayne. Even direwolf had problem with a net. Fully armored knight have it even worse. Of course, Dayne could have cut the net, but while he was doing it Ned killed him. Maybe Ned thought using net against the knight wasn't very fair way to die for Dayne, but is it fair to expect your enemy to fight you your way?

I never considered Howland using poison against Arthur Dayne, but I suppose it's possible. As has been made abundantly clear, we don't know enough about Howland at the time of the events at the ToJ to say how good a fighter he was and how he would have fought against Kingsguard. Maybe he would have used poison to even the odds. The way I picture it, however, is that he somehow distracted Dayne long enough for Ned to kill him. It's possible that it wasn't an epic fight by any means. Maybe Ned and Howland just got lucky. That's more GRRM's style.

Archived