Alton Lannister

Patchface12

I've heard a bit about Alton Lannister. General consensus is he's a stand in for Cleos Frey. Others say he's Tyrek Lannister renamed to avoid confusion with Tyrion and Tywin (much like Asha's renaming)

I'm starting to wonder if he's both (he's not Pod, fortunately. Pod's just been cast)

ACoK spoilers

Since Tyrek (renamed Alton for the show) wasn't squiring for Robert w/ Lancel in the show, suppose he was captured at Whispering Wood. Robb could send Alton to KL for negotiations as well as a potential hostage exchange. Whatever the reason, when Alton gets to KL, he stays there, and Tyrion sends the Lannister guards off to Riverrun with Ned's bones without Alton. While they make their failed attempt to break Jaime out at Riverrun, Alton, now in KL, disappears during the bread riots.

ASoS spoilers

That actually works, since the only purpose for Cleos beyond this following his escape w/ Jaime and Brienne is to get killed so Jaime can take a sword off his dead body. In the show, just Jaime and Brienne could escape. Jaime could just take the sword off any old body. There should be plenty of bodies with the war going on.

Thinking about it this way, I actually don't mind Alton as a stand in for Cleos and Tyrek. At least I like to think D & D won't go all True Blood on this series.

As for other changes fans aren't happy about, I'm beginning to wonder if Ros will be a stand in for Alyaya for the whorehouse scenes in the upcoming season.

Honestly, I'm fine with this. So long as they keep a logical chronology and stay true to the storyline and characterization of interesting people, I don't plan on throwing any books at anyone.

The main thing I have a deep fear of them getting completely wrong is trying to move Jaime's release up before the sack of Winterfell and Renly's death. It would be illogical for Catelyn to resort to that before Sansa and Arya are all she has left, and Brienne would never leave Renly. If Jaime simply escapes, it scraps the whole plot and his whole character development.

What does it mean to go all True Blood on a series? Deviating from the original source material?

Cause the TB books are 100% from Sookie's point of view. It's hard not to abandon the books early on if you want to develop any other characters.

Archived