Novel:

A Dance With Dragons by GRRM

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Since the Hugo nominations are now open, I thought I'd bump this topic up again.

Obviously, everyone will have their own opinions and should nominate accordingly, but here's our chance to remind each other of things, and make our cases for nominees. This way we can get closer to avoiding the dreaded "oh yeah, I meant to nominate X" and "boo, Y didn't make it to the final ballot by only 3 nominations!"

Don't forget, the full list of categories is:

• Best Novel (40,000 words or more)
  • Best Novella (17,500 to 40,000 words)
  • Best Novelette (7,500 to 17,500 words)
  • Best Short Story (up to 7,500 words)
  • Best Related Work
  • Best Graphic Story *
  • Best Dramatic Presentation "Long Form" (more than 90 minutes)
  • Best Dramatic Presentation "Short Form" (less than 90 minutes)
  • Best Editor Short Form
  • Best Editor Long Form
  • Best Professional Artist
  • Best Semiprozine
  • Best Fanzine
  • Best Fan Writer
  • Best Fan Artist
  • Best Fancast (This is a special, one-time award, this year, allowed under 3.3.15 of the WSFS constitution)

Take this as tongue-in-cheek, but I'm eligble for two categories: Short Story (if translations of Augusto Monterroso's "Mister Taylor" and Leopoldo Lugones' "The Bloat Toad" count in this category) and Fan Writer. Not that I think I should be nominated for either, but it is odd to realize that I may actually be eligible for these things :P

For reminders and inspiration the locus recommended reading list (which isn't out yet I believe) can help to jog ones memory, as can the various year's best anthologies for short stories and novellas.

John Scazli has a post he opened up for award-season self-promotion http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/01/05/sff-authorseditorsartistsfans-2011-award-awareness-post/, The information and quality of the works in the comments is a mess, but can again be used to check for those works you might otherwise forget.

And in all the author self-promotion on their own blogs, websites etc I liked Jim Hines' effort, who is kind of recommending others in the same breath. http://www.jimchines.com/2012/01/jig-vs-jig/

I have a question about the Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form category. Its defined as, "Any television program or other production, with a complete running time of 90 minutes or less, in any medium of dramatized science fiction, fantasy or related subjects that has been publicly presented for the first time in its present dramatic form during the previous calendar year."

So does that mean any tv show episode that aired during 2011? So taking the tv show Fringe, for example, that would mean episodes from the second half of Season 3 (which aired Spring 2011) as well as episodes from the first half of Season 4 (which aired Fall 2011) would be eligible?

I'm also eligible for the 'Best Fan Writer' award for my work on my blog, SF Signal, and (maybe?) Tor.com. A Dribble of Ink is eligible for the 'Best Fanzine' award.

I've written a bit about it here. I'd really love to see a blog and/or blogger make the ballot (even if it's not me.)

If you are eligible to nominate, you may cast a nominating ballot through the Chicon Hugo Nominating Website or by paper ballot by mail. No matter which method you use to vote, Chicon 7 must receive your ballot (postmarks/timestamps do not count) by Sunday, March 11, 2012, 23:59 Pacific Daylight Time.

There is plenty of time to nominate, but make sure not to forget!

Amongst choices I'm considering on my ballot: GAME OF THRONES, Season One for Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form; and GAME OF THRONES "The Pointy End" for Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form.

GAME OF THRONES winning the Long Form is a longshot but not impossible.

In Short Form, there will be the inevitable Dr. Who selections that will dominate, and probably a left-field surprise or two but I'm curious if you folks think any other episode from GOT Season One has a better shot at nomination.

There is plenty of time to nominate, but make sure not to forget!

If the system is still the same as when I could vote you should be able to nominate now, and keep changing them until the deadline. So there is no need to keep postponing until you are really sure.

In Short Form, there will be the inevitable Dr. Who selections that will dominate, and probably a left-field surprise or two but I'm curious if you folks think any other episode from GOT Season One has a better shot at nomination.

The Pointy End has obvious attractions but I can see people voting for Baelor also. Just because of what happened in that episode. I'm not sure though. It will interesting to see.

ooh, Neil Gaimans Dr Who vs. GOT could be an interesting fandom showdown...

Yeah, the Gaiman fans AND the Whovians getting behind Gaiman's Dr. Who episode.....that's a formidable fan army for a very worthy episode. It'll take all of Westeros rallying together to pull off a GOT victory. ;)

The Pointy End has obvious attractions but I can see people voting for Baelor also. Just because of what happened in that episode. I'm not sure though. It will interesting to see.

Yeah, "Baelor" makes sense too. Curious if anyone thinks any other GOT episodes have a consensus shot at a Best Dramatic Short Form nom...

Archived