Hugos: For Your Consideration - UPDATED for 2013 starting at post 144

LugaJetboyGirl

I'm afraid there's no way whatsoever that Gaiman's WHO episode is going to lose. But second place ought to be in reach for "Baelor" or "The Pointy End". Or "Fire and Blood".

Interestingly, according to what Kevin Standlee (IIRC) has said, in theory the whole of season 1 of Game of Thrones can be nominated in long form (as John suggests). After all, it tells the same story, more or less, as was contained in a single book. I think it'd be wise for nominators to nominate both individual episodes and the entire season (if they feel it's merited). This could lead to potential trouble -- the rules may require that a work can't be both in long and short form -- but the administrators can figure that out.

I know nothing about this category, except sometimes I look at these websites. So...

Semi-prozines:

Salon Futura

Clarkesworld

Strange Horizons

Lightspeed

Claresworld especially has some truly gorgeous artwork, which I think would fall into the Best Professional Artist category?

Clarkesworld removed themselves from competition in the semi-pro section this year (or at least they are discouraging nomination, I cannot find their original announcement).

Their Editors, the writers (fiction, and fact fan-fiction) and probably the cover artists can be nominated.

Clarkesworld removed themselves from competition in the semi-pro section this year (or at least they are discouraging nomination, I cannot find their original announcement).

Their Editors, the writers (fiction, and fact fan-fiction) and probably the cover artists can be nominated.

Whoops, thanks!

Dramatic Presentation, short form:

A Game of Thrones: The Pointy End

A Game of Thrones: Baelor

Anything but that shit awful show, Dr. Who.

Eureka, the awesome animated Christmas episode, 'Do you see what I see'

Supernatural,

, everyone nominate this, its the ep when:

the bros get sent into the alternate universe where they're actors in a show called 'Supernatural.' It's brilliant

Supernatural, 'The Mentalists,' pretty funny episode

My Little Pony, 'The Best Night Ever'

I have to disagree with the idea that "Dr. Who" will win inevitably. If we got everyone who is a supporting member on the bwb board, or ones that are at least going to the con to vote for "Game of Thornes" then it is at least a very possible winner. I also think Dr.Who is watchable but very much a average schlock sci-fi show at best.

Here are some of my votes for a Hugo

Best Novels:

Dance with Dragons. GRRM. Gets my top nod eventhough there were books I liked better, I'm voting for it as a continuation of quality writing in a overall epic and masterful storyarc, which has long been deserved of more awards.

The Heroes. Joe Abercrombie. As a standalone fantasy tale I enjoyed this most of all this year. Best high brow writing, no, but that doen't mean much if you like to be entertained by great characters and hard edged action.

Embassytown. Mieville. What it lacked in character development it masked with great ideas and highly fantastical worldbuilding.

Ready Player One. Ernest Cline. Grew up in the 80's and the premise appealed to the gamer/sci-fi geek I conceal(with limited effect) from the real world.

Best Artist.

Jon Foster!! look this guy up if you aren't familiar with his work. Huge in the illustration world but sadly unnoticed in the awards world.

As a side note. As a visitor of GRRM's "Not a Blog", I really wish he would expand his recommendations outside his little group of collaborators and friends, it's just to unvaried to be taken at all seriously, and lets face it, while some of these people he mentions are good, they are rarely best of the year except in the GRRM related category.

Best Artist.

Jon Foster!! look this guy up if you aren't familiar with his work. Huge in the illustration world but sadly unnoticed in the awards world.

Thanks for pointing him out. I found his website, but in his portfolio he doesn't give any information about the images. Can you suggest any particular ones that were done in 2011?

I'd like to remind everyone that our very own Peadar had quite a year in 2011. His second novel, The Deserter, may not be widely available in the US yet, but several of us who were at Reno got to hear his reading of his short story "The Drowner." Also, another short story, "Heartless" is available to read online:

http://www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.com/story.php?s=176

This is good stuff, people. Check it out!

As a side note. As a visitor of GRRM's "Not a Blog", I really wish he would expand his recommendations outside his little group of collaborators and friends, it's just to unvaried to be taken at all seriously, and lets face it, while some of these people he mentions are good, they are rarely best of the year except in the GRRM related category.

Ma Rc is that you? GRRM addressed this complaint quite well to Ma Rc in the comments of his post.

Okay, I gathered up all the recommendations and listed them out in the first post of this thread. I will periodically update it.

The list includes everything mentioned in this thread (except for those that weren't actually eligible), the recommendations from GRRMs Not A Blog, and a few other things I added because I figured it would be redundant to put them in their own post (e.g., my favorite story from Fort Freak, Paul Cornell's “More!")

I just realized that pretty much all the Best Artist recommendations are men.

Where are the women artists?

That's an honest question. If you can recommend some great female artists, please post them here!

Stephanie Pui-Mun Law, what is eligible for this years hugo... I don't know.

Archived