[Book Spoilers] Will the impact of the RW be different due to differing medium

Aegnor

I won't be surprised if they change the LADY STONEHEART storyline. It seems too cheesy for TV. They might just say she survived. And is hellbent on vengeance. I just feel like people will think this UN-CAT character is so strange compared to the rest of what's going on in the TV series. At least that's my hope.

I won't be surprised if they change the LADY STONEHEART storyline. It seems too cheesy for TV. They might just say she survived. And is hellbent on vengeance. I just feel like people will think this UN-CAT character is so strange compared to the rest of what's going on in the TV series. At least that's my hope.

Why would it be too strange? It won't be the first example of dead ones becoming "un-dead".

no, please. I love Lady Stoneheart - and a bit of The Walking Dead in a HBO show would be cool ;)

I cannot wait to see the Red Wedding on tv! I can hardly imagine it being more powerful and out of the blue than in the book. I just hope that's the end of the episode because I'm afraid it will lose a lot of the impact if it isn't. After reading in the book, I put it down and just stared in disbelief for a few minutes - it has to be the same with the show, so it has to end with it, in my opinion, to get the same reactions.

• 2 weeks later...

The RW was the strongest chapter I ever read in a book. I think they should put it in the Tv final, but they have to be careful because it is upsetting.

I think a good solution is to do the red wedding but then change to Bran and Jojen Reed who gives the greendream prophecy, I mean this prophecy was given to the reason BECAUSE the RW was so upsetting. (I had to stop reading for a few days... that never happened to me before)

The one thing that I think will be unfortunate about splitting ASOS into the 2 seasons is that for me, ASOS ended on a real high note... Even though so many people died in the book you had:

1. Stannis attacking the wall- which was awesome. and Jon becoming the 998th commander of the NW with the help of Samwell... YEA SAM!

2. Arya and Sandor kill the Tickler and Polliver. Arya finally uses the coin and goes to Bravos... God I was dying to see Bravos after that

3. Tyrion kills Tywin (I wasn't too thrilled about that tbh) but he leaves on a ship and you're DYING to know where he's headed

4. LF throwing Lyssa out the moon door and "Only Cat"... Man maybe I'm the only one, but that was one of my favorites scenes of the series. I hated Lyssa so much and to find out LF had Jon Arryn killed is such a crazy reveal

So yeah certainly everything wasn't all rosy, but I was so excited when I finished the book I had almost forgotten about the RW...

I think ending on the RW will just be too depressing. The way the book ends just filled with anticipation for what happens next. I mean I couldn't contain myself after I finished ASOS

However they do it, I will be sad to see Michelle Fairley and Richard Madden leave. Casting was great all around, children and adults, but Michelle Fairley was one of the standout adult actors in my opinion.

SERIOUSLY!!!! I love them both, they are beautiful and such good actors <3 *sigh* I am glad they have to split the books though, we get a little more Robb that way (;

no, please. I love Lady Stoneheart - and a bit of The Walking Dead in a HBO show would be cool ;)

Not to mention that as the story progresses it is sort of hard to get around the fact that the dead are walking about now in Westeros. Sure most of them are unnamed voicesless others but between Coldhands and Beric the idea is certainly in play. That and the BWB and Stoneheart do fuction a bit as a salve to the RW wound...knowing that they are out there knocking off any Frey they find does feel a bit like justice working slowly (particularly since we won't "know" of the North's real reaction to the RW till parts of ADWD makes it into the series).

One big thing people tend to overlook is the ages of the children.The actors who portray Arya, Sansa and Bran are going to change in appearance significantly as they stretch the seasons out. Years will go by in real time, but only months and so forth technically happen in the story.

How do you all think they will deal with this?

Well, I don't think it'll be a problem because they'll naturally appear the ages that GRRM originally wanted them to be by the end of the story (ie the scrapped 5 year gap Martin was going to do because he didn't realize how fast paced his fantasy epic would be.)

you could have it be that the lower half of the hound is shown so we don't see who it is. he's shown riding towards Arya and then Arya gets hit in the head. then cue the credits.

That scene, along with Bran's fall was one of the couple times skipped ahead to make sure they weren't dead.

So glad I'm not the only one who did that. As soon as that Arya chapter ended I flipped through the remaining pages just to see her name. Mind you at that point I was completely distraught and NEEDED her to live since I didn't put much stock in either Catelyn or Robb getting out alive.

I also think it will be like Bran's fall in the first episode in that it will end whatever episode it is in. I just hope it isn't the last episode for the season. Hell even now that promo gets to me "Wolves are bleeding" - yes they are and have been for four books since. It would be torture to wait for the conclusion/confirmation of who made it out for a whole year.

Then again I'm sort of hoping the RW stays in the same season as Joffery's death, it would be a nice way to bookend the season with the deaths of kings. I just don't feel like the RW is a good place to end it given how everything plays out, it would be like ending season 1 with "Balor." People are going to need to process their grief by seeing who is left standing. I know Joffery doesn't die at the exact end, but close enough that if they do the RW as the season opener you could have Joffery die one or two episodes from the end.

I'm thinking, to save a few objects from going through TV's, they're gonna HAVE to show Sandor genuinely save Arya by KO'ing her with the flat of the axe, throwing her over his shoulder, and riding like hell out of there. If they end a season with most viewers thinking Robb (who will be a WAYYYY more loved character thanks to his love story with Jeyne/action scenes,) Catelyn, AND Arya dead, that just might be too much for any audience to bare.

• 2 weeks later...

I yelled at the book all through reading the Red Wedding chapter. It was so frelling upsetting, I was in complete shock at the end of it. My heart was racing, my face wet with tears, even my hands were shaking. I have never had that with a book before. I doubt it will be as powerful on screen, but the way the filmed Ned's death tells me it will pack enough of a punch to shock most viewers.

I agree with those who said that it should be a season finale episode. People will need to take a breath after watching it, and will be sure to tune in next season to find out what happens to Arya, Bran and Jon.

I can't wait to see it.... lol it hurts even imagining what it will be like.

I am so looking forward to the RW in the show, just to see how they go about filming it. The show, so far, has managed to hit all the emotional parts of the book right on point for me. I just hope they keep all the tension and paranoia there is preceding and building up to the RW. I also hope they keep the image of Cat scratching and clawing her face showing her go absolutely mad right before she is killed. I just know I am going to cry ridiculously when it happens. I had to read the lasts bits of the chapter again after the first time just to be sure I just read what I read. It blew my mind.

It is definitely one of the most, if not the most, gut-wrenching and heart-breaking chapters in the book, but I can't wait to see it play out. Plus Michelle Fairley is one hell of an actress and she is going to rule. that. scene.

Archived