Football: A Dream of Defenders

The Iceman of the North

I don't really know, it's like those full backs they had, those guys just come and go...

As for that Adebayor I remember him as a tall, clumsy striker. I suppose he ended up in some kind of unambitious english club or something.

Not like Victor Agali who er... got arrested in 2009 in Netherlands for carrying fake passports and was last seen playing in the Chinese Super League. :uhoh:

Bad news tonight: Accrington Stanley's JPT match vs Tranmere abandoned after a serious injury to youngster Tom Bender. Treated on the pitch for half an hour with oxygen and a drip before being taken off in the ambulance, still unconscious. I've heard there's fears he may have broken his neck. I pray that's not true and best wishes for a recovery.

Not like Victor Agali who er... got arrested in 2009 in Netherlands for carrying fake passports and was last seen playing in the Chinese Super League. :uhoh:

:eek: An Agali hattrick. Not something you see that often. I think he averaged about 5 goals per season when he was with Rostock and Schalke. Didn't know about his arrest, though. What was that about?

Don't listen to people telling you that you shouldn't follow a losing team. That's bullshit! By following a small team, you learn to appreciate the small things in life.

:lol:

Fenryng, follow who you like, but you don't need to support a poor club to appreciate the small things in life!

The problem with following a 'small club' is that it precedes mediocrity from conception. The 'big clubs' are built upon a series of small things, slowing developing over time. If your club hasn't become big by now, there's a good chance it never will. Of course you may attain economical strength, such as Chelsea, but it's nigh on impossible to attain true strength in followers (not the rabble that come and go, dependent upon on-field success), or the suckle of having your feet dipped in the history, the great years the main European clubs have felt in the past.

Take the likes of Wigan and Bolton who've been in the Premiership for a good amount of time. They've been treated to the wonders of the glamorous Super League of Europe that all football existence seems to be held on now, as it's been like this forever and will remain so for everlasting time. Anyway, I cannot ever envisage a time in which you'll see the same kind of religious fervour in their grounds that you'll see with the likes of Man United, Liverpool or Celtic supporters hold for their clubs when they're in their heavenly quarters. There's a reason grounds such as those receive nicknames the Theatre of Dreams and Paradise. The ecstasy you can experience is a wonder few in comparison, despite the pitch being full of egotistical, swaggering young men.

A great many dismiss the greatness of the big clubs too easily, forgetting their roots and the simple values they were born of. True, even I despise the capitalist drive of United, yet I will never hold the club with hatred in my heart. The club is one deserving of respect and admiration. They've grown into a colossal producing despise from practically every club in the land, but that's's due to their success, which I believe is down to their working class (Irish ) supporters. Not undeserving, IMO.

However, due to the nature of the game now, I feel the power-houses can no longer be allowed to exist in their current conditions, and should be broken by a bill produced from UEFA destroying any more of their attempts to dominate the sport. Their tools are too powerful and they're killing the sport. Perhaps a part of their profits should be feed into grass-roots level, allowing the youth of tomorrow to grow up receiving a better education?

ETA: Following a club is integral upon support. I respect a team that garners a great atmosphere. Take these Greeks, for example. That is what a football crowd should look like.

kuroishi -- alas, the football channel that Fenryng gets doesn't carry Ligue 1, except for very rarely. Regular FSC carries EPL, Serie A, MLS and the occasional Mexican or South American league match (I remember seeing a bunch of River Plate matches one season). ESPN occassionally shows EPL, MLS and the odd La Liga match. Those who want to watch La Liga, Ligue 1 or Bundesliga have to subscribe to additional channels (if they are even available in that area). Mr. X and I decided a couple of years ago that, yeah, we wanted to watch those other leagues and ordered those channels, and we don't regret it. :) (holyshitrayhudson!)

:eek: An Agali hattrick. Not something you see that often. I think he averaged about 5 goals per season when he was with Rostock and Schalke. Didn't know about his arrest, though. What was that about?

I don't know either, I only learnt about it when looking at his wikipedia page yesterday. :blushing: But there was a german article linked, so you might be able to tell us.

And Agali only scored 6 goals for us that season, so he didn't really overdid himself... But he scored on the right day.

I don't know either, I only learnt about it when looking at his wikipedia page yesterday. :blushing: But there was a german article linked, so you might be able to tell us.

And Agali only scored 6 goals for us that season, so he didn't really overdid himself... But he scored on the right day.

Hm, that article only states that he had two passports on him, in one 'personal data' had been modified, in the other a visum. I looked around a bit and it seems that he was released after 11 days and continued to play, so presumably he wasn't charged/sentenced.

To all and sundry - X-Ray is right; my channels are limted to those that she listed. This is not to say that I don't try to watch the games that have the rare Real Madrid games, but they are damn rare. Seeing any teams from Germany and eastward is not a possibility. I don't think I could get more channels short of satellite.

I haven't gotten involved in the game long enough to know the rosters of any of the teams that I follow, and I don't know how long it will be (if ever) before I get to that point. The main things that draw me to the game are (in no order of importance):

The passion of the fans. Their dedication is incredible. I mean, how often do you read about rioting in the US by fans because their team lost (or won)?

The fact that the sport really is international. I love being able to see Germans play Japanese, or whomever.

The rules. People being penalized actually has an effect on the overall team.

If I was going to request one thing of my channels, it would be that they would televise more friendlies; the countries involved wouldn't matter. Hell, there are some countries with soccer teams that I have never seen play.

If I was going to request one thing of my channels, it would be that they would televise more friendlies; the countries involved wouldn't matter. Hell, there are some countries with soccer teams that I have never seen play.

I doubt you'd find many people that have seen more than half of the 200 something national teams out there, Looking at sovereign countries, and dependencies (with a population), there's less than a handful without a national side. (On the top of my head, there's Sahrawi, Pictarin, and Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha.)

We get some choice as to what to watch, as we get the English Premier League and Championship highlights, La Liga and some other selected stuff.

In order to select who to follow when I started watching I used the highly scientific method of supporting whoever one the first game I started to watch.

Archived