Football: A Dream of Defenders

The Iceman of the North

Is Goetze the wunderkind at Dortmund? If so I don't see Dortmund letting him go.

Yeah, unless they have a special release clause (like Sahin did for Real Madrid) there is no way Dortmund are allowing any key players to leave. I'm not sure if they're completely debt free yet, but they definitely don't need to sell players for monetary reasons and they would be insane to let him go. I guess he's gotten some international attention recently, so he has to be thrown into the occasional transfer speculation.

According to the BBC Arsenal are in "advanced talks" with Werder Bremen's Per Mertesacker.

Horses and stable doors come to mind.

If they land him it'd almost make up for it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2030501/Owen-Hargreaves-fights-The-moving-story-gifted-footballers-refusal-up.html

Owen Hargreaves is hella persistent.

I'm not looking forward to Liverpool - ManU. I'm afraid. Last year, they truly looked crap for much of the season, but still won thanks to their unerring penchant for grinding out victories. This year, they look formidable. I fear City - United will be a more even contest than Reds - Devils this season. I hope I'm wrong.

Coates and a backup striker before the deadline, and I think 3rd place is an achievable goal for this season.

Maloney off, new striker in. Pleased.

“I am delighted to be joining a club the size of Celtic.

“I’m flattered that someone like Henrik Larsson would recommend me. I know all about Henrik and what a great player he was for Celtic, and I’m looking forward to joining up with my new team-mates and working hard to do well at Celtic and help the club be successful.”

He better be good! I love how Neil is totally ignoring our defensive frailties...if only we could play a 3-4-3 like Barca and use just one traditional defender.

ETA: Apparently we've signed Baba Diawara, as well, but he won't join us until January due to visa reasons. Bah. Guess I'll have to settle for the 'new Larsson', until then. :laugh:

The dreadlocks are coming back.

Also, surprisingly ambitious. Still speaking of making the England squad and improving 'most of the teams' in the league. Bold claims. I dearly hope he stays fit, as I always liked him as a footballer.

Edit: WTF, he's going to City? What a dickish move.

Edit: WTF, he's going to City? What a dickish move.

Free agent signs for club who offer him a contract. Now I call that totally out of order. :rolleyes:

Seriously, best of luck to him. I hope he gets another four or five years to make up for the time he's lost.

Free agent signs for club who offer him a contract. Now I call that totally out of order. :rolleyes:

Seriously, best of luck to him. I hope he gets another four or five years to make up for the time he's lost.

Owen has taken over 15m out of United in wages, plus whatever signing on fee he received, and then a transfer fee of around 17m. He played one season. The fans were patient and showed their support when he make a long-awaited comeback. Even applauded him when he came off after 5 mins.

And now he signs for their biggest rival, where he won't play 40 games a season, despite stating that as his ambition. It's all the more queer when you take into account he had multiple offers.

Yeah, it's a dickish move. Prompting United fans (not I) to wish further injury on him. It's a good thing there's no Scholes or Keane currently in this United team.

Leicester City and West Brom. Sven offered him an opportunity to play for him again under new City management. Roy Hodgson came in after to offer him the chance to continue to play in the EPL.

I can't understand why he'd not sign for them, when it's his ambition to prove to people he can play a full season. City are not going to guarantee him a starting position. He'll be lucky to make the bench.

ETA: Hell, there were rumours even Spurs wanted to sign him. Even that would've been better than City. He's went to the worst club possible.

Any footballer will choose a team who are going to challenge for the Premier League title and are playing in the Champions League over Leicester and West Brom. Signing for City makes sense for him personally anyway as he won't have to move house.

Do you think that ex-Liverpool player Michael Owen is a dick for signing for Manchester United on a free transfer despite interest from Hull City?

Owen has taken over 15m out of United in wages, plus whatever signing on fee he received, and then a transfer fee of around 17m. He played one season. The fans were patient and showed their support when he make a long-awaited comeback. Even applauded him when he came off after 5 mins.

And then his contract ran out and the club let him go because he could not prove his fitness. And that was the end of their relationship.

There are, we're told, no hard feelings on either side about what happened. He didn't agitate for a move or go on strike or conduct himself badly in any way. He behaved with more respect toward the club than their most highly-paid player did - in fact, he's their most highly-paid player because of that behaviour, but let that go for now. Hargreaves has fulfilled his contract and behaved with total respect towards Manchester United. He is now a free agent and he is as entitled to sign for Man City as he is to sign for West Brom or anyone else.

And now he signs for their biggest rival, where he won't play 40 games a season, despite stating that as his ambition.

Time will tell on that, but in any case what it has to do with whether he's being a dick by signing for City escapes me utterly.

It's all the more queer when you take into account he had multiple offers.

It's not hard to guess that Man City probably offered most money, and it's obvious that they offered a chance to play for a team that will compete for the title and play at a high level in Europe. I've got to say: in his place, I'd sign for City even if they offered less money. It's a no-brainer. (Not that he has actually signed yet, according to what I can see. I've little doubt that he will, though. He should.)

Yeah, it's a dickish move. Prompting United fans (not I) to wish further injury on him. It's a good thing there's no Scholes or Keane currently in this United team.

It's a perfectly reasonable move. He was released, for heaven's sake. He has no further obligations to Man U. It's not as if he's Gary Neville or something, someone who was developed and raised in the club and professes to be a fan: he's a guy who came to the club on a contract for a few years, a contract which he and the club both honoured in full, and which came to a mutually agreed end due to an injury. Now he has a good contract offer elsewhere. The appropriate reaction would surely be, 'best of luck to him'. He'll need it, if he wants to get into that midfield.

Best answer I've seen so far: he won't have to move house. That I can understand.

Time will tell on that, but in any case what it has to do with whether he's being a dick by signing for City escapes me utterly.

It's a kick in the teeth for United's medical staff, and more importantly, their fans. I repeat, he's left for their biggest rivals. How that escapes you, Mormont, baffles me. It's one of the most basic rules in football. I dislike anyone who shows disloyalty towards their club.

It's not hard to guess that Man City probably offered most money...

This shouldn't be his main focus, right now. He's made his millions. He's well set. I would have thought he'd want to play football. He'll not do much of that at City.

The appropriate reaction would surely be, 'best of luck to him'. He'll need it, if he wants to get into that midfield.

Yeah, pretty much.

It should be noted that Hargreaves offered to play for us for free, but we told him nah. So it's not as if he just sat there and took the money (plus it's the club's fault for the wages- they knowingly signed a player who didn't pass his medical, meaning no-one would insure him for injury).

Tbh, I don't greatly care. I hope he doesn't do well there, obviously, but that's nothing to do with him personally.

I would have thought he'd want to play football. He'll not do much of that at City.

But if he doesn't play much football due to being at City, maybe he won't get injured as often and will be able to prolong his career? :dunno: *clutches at straws*

It's a kick in the teeth for United's medical staff, and more importantly, their fans.

As a sometime United fan, I say bullshit. It's not like the Tevez saga - Hargreaves was out of contract, he can go where he likes and has no obligations to anyone.

I don't get why he wouldn't want to play every week and prove himself; maybe if he did that, in a year's time it could seem more likely that he is capable of getting a game for Man City (e.g. Scott Parker standard). As it is now I can't see him getting a sniff of first-team football, which I hope doesn't show that he's more interested in money than actually playing.

Still, the captain's armband may still be up for grabs in their reserve team :laugh:

Archived