Son of Videogames Thread

Inigima

I lost a whole darn summer of my life to Fallout 3. And then wondered why Oblivion wasn't nearly as good.

I really like Fallout 3, i do. it's just im 2 story missions away from beating the game, im level 17 good guy, but ive been sitting like this for a year. I haven't been able to pick up the game and get into again, i just feel bored to death now when i play it. And yes to anyone wondering i am a hardcore RPG fan since original Nintendo Days, i aint no noob.

i just feel like it will kill me to keep playing, cus i wanna finish all the side missions also, i just don't want to put another 60 to 80 hours into the game. Thats not counting the DLC which i have.

i really wanna sit down and finish it, every time i turn my Xbox on and see the load screen for Fallout 3 i walk away.

Seems to be getting a mixed reception (check out the comments for early reactions, there's also a few links to reviews).

Main complaints are that it's too short and repetitive, but for mindless violence with a tinge of tactically interesting combat it's reasonably entertaining. For some reason almost everyone is comparing it to Gears of War, with quite a few people saying it's better and a few others saying it's worse.

Well, it has more colours than GOW (the player character being an Ultramarine makes that kind of unavoidable), that's definitely a plus.

I played the demo and it is fun. Not challenging at all in that little bit (all the weapons feel appropriately overpowered for Astartes equipment), but there's something very satisfying about the feel of the combat nevertheless. Regaining health by killing enemies is at least slightly better than regenerating health, and the jump pack is fun and easy to use.

Doesn't look like a game to buy at full price, though, particularly since I'm unlikely to do much with the multiplayer component.

I really like Fallout 3, i do. it's just im 2 story missions away from beating the game, im level 17 good guy, but ive been sitting like this for a year. I haven't been able to pick up the game and get into again, i just feel bored to death now when i play it. And yes to anyone wondering i am a hardcore RPG fan since original Nintendo Days, i aint no noob.

i just feel like it will kill me to keep playing, cus i wanna finish all the side missions also, i just don't want to put another 60 to 80 hours into the game. Thats not counting the DLC which i have.

If you're 2 missions away from the end of the main quest, you haven't got anything like 60-80 hours left to do the side-missions and the DLC. I did every quest in the game and every bit of the DLCs and came out at maybe 75 hours for the combined load (or about two-thirds what I put into Oblivion). Compared to Oblivion, it's a pretty small game, despite the map being roughly the same size. There's far fewer quests, even with everything combined.

The DLC also varies up the game nicely and introduces some solid new environments: frozen Alaska, the industrial wasteland of the Pitt, the swamps of Point Lookout and, erm, the inside of a flying saucer. It's at least better than tramping through brown wilderness and fighting off giant radscorpions :)

I was very interested in the game until I tried the demo and found it a little dull but I probably need to give it another chance. I'm hearing mixed things about and the single player campaign is supposed to be short. I'm waiting to hear more about the multiplayer experience to see if that might change my mind about buying it. I'm a warhammer fan so I will probably pick it up sooner or later when it goes on sale on steam.

My son got Killteam off PSN and is enjoying that. Are you are 40K fan or a Fantasy fan? Personally I'd like a Warhammer game more than a WH40K game. Though what I really want is a WH game that is basically what you do on the table top. I love WH (Wood Elves FTW!) but I really don't have the time or money to put into creating the actual table top armies and then doing the battles. If I could play actual WH on PC or console that would be really cool, to me. RTS is all well and good, but I like the turn based element and all the rules of engagement as opposed to units just going at it in RTS games.

Oh and isn't here the right place to be talking about this?

http://www.westeros.org/ASoWS/News/Entry/Game_of_Thrones_Genesis_Release_Date/

September 07, 2011

Game of Thrones: Genesis Release Date

Focus Home Interactive and Cyanide Studio have set the releae date for their forthcoming strategy game, A Game of Thrones: Genesis: September 29th. Mark your calendars! They’ve released a few new images—I’m fond of the shot that shows both Sunspear and Storm’s End, I admit; and unless I’m mistaken, they’ve worked further on the model of the Eyrie to make it more reminiscent of Ted Nasmith’s masterful depiction in the 2011 calendar—to go with the following press release, so be sure to check them out.

‘‘A Game of Thrones - Genesis’‘, the new strategy game developed for PC by Cyanide, today unveiled 5 new screenshots.

Faithful to the world imagined by George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones - Genesis emphasizes the backstabbing and political intrigues which are common in Westeros and the fight for the Iron Throne. Command the assassination of an opponent’s Great Lord, set up secret alliances, send a spy to take the place of the opponent’s unit, or harass his trade routes to weaken his economy. Treasons, espionage, kidnapping and ransoms… treachery is everywhere, so always watch your back!

It is also very possible, by cleverly using all the low blows the game allows you to use, to earn victory without ever entering an open war or recruiting any army. A real first in a real-time strategy game!

Of course, military approach is valid as well! Raise an army, besiege enemy villages and castles, force them to submit to your rule, and crush all resistance. You truly have all options at your disposal to achieve victory and reach the Iron Throne!

A Game of Thrones - Genesis will release for PC in retail and digital stores on September 29th

So just 3 weeks! Hmmm I think I see a new PC in my future. Though I will wait for impressions from those with PCs capable of playing the game first. The thought of being able to win the game by, basically, playing like Littlefinger is a pretty cool concept.

Cyanide is unbelievably bad at everything.

Not true, Blood Bowl is fun. Of course it's basically just a board game port.

I have to admit that I'm much more excited about the Medieval II Total War mod being finished one of these days than this, though.

Not true, Blood Bowl is fun. Of course it's basically just a board game port.

Right, the part that Cyanide had nothing to do with is good. Everything else--UI, stability, connectivity, basic functionality, AI, their original game mode, whatever--is bad. After three paid iterations. It's just that Blood Bowl is a good enough game that it's worth putting up with Cyanide's bullshit in order to play it. Which, y'know, I wouldn't be if I had to get miniatures and paint them and so on.

RPS point out (moreso in the comments) that the game coming out in two weeks yet there being no review code, demos or substantive gameplay videos is highly unusual, and usually reserved only for games that have been massively rushed or the publisher know are going to bomb hard (the two frequently going hand-in-hand, of course).

This being a Cyanide game, of course, it'll likely be riddled with bugs on release and take months to sort out (if we're lucky; Blood Bowl is still broken in multiple areas several years after release). I'm hoping against all the odds it's great, but it's really not looking like it at the moment.

A desire to play an oldschool action game lead me to dusting off my copy of Jedi Knight II. First the game wouldn't install from the (rather badly scratched) disk, then I created an ISO of it and burned that on a new CD with the same result, then I tried the original again and it worked without a hitch. Just gotta be persistant.

And holy crap does this game require persistance. I'd forgotten how fiendishly difficult it is before you get a lightsabre. Just brutal. They don't make 'em like they used etc...

The only reason you stand a chance at all is because you're facing Stormtroopers.

If you're 2 missions away from the end of the main quest, you haven't got anything like 60-80 hours left to do the side-missions and the DLC. I did every quest in the game and every bit of the DLCs and came out at maybe 75 hours for the combined load (or about two-thirds what I put into Oblivion). Compared to Oblivion, it's a pretty small game, despite the map being roughly the same size. There's far fewer quests, even with everything combined.

The DLC also varies up the game nicely and introduces some solid new environments: frozen Alaska, the industrial wasteland of the Pitt, the swamps of Point Lookout and, erm, the inside of a flying saucer. It's at least better than tramping through brown wilderness and fighting off giant radscorpions :)

You know why im worried it will take me forever, cus im border line OCD. Im also a little bit of an achievement whore on the 360, i wanna find all the boble heads, all the books, build all the weapons and find all the Nuka Cola bottles. I don't care if i get every achievement just as many as i can. i think im just gonna run through and finish the last 2 story missions and put the game in the vault so to speak.

Now with big games coming out, like Gears 3 and Arkham City. Im afraid im just gonna put Fallout on the back burner again. plus i still have dozens of games i haven't gotten around to playing yet.

A desire to play an oldschool action game lead me to dusting off my copy of Jedi Knight II. First the game wouldn't install from the (rather badly scratched) disk, then I created an ISO of it and burned that on a new CD with the same result, then I tried the original again and it worked without a hitch. Just gotta be persistant.

And holy crap does this game require persistance. I'd forgotten how fiendishly difficult it is before you get a lightsabre. Just brutal. They don't make 'em like they used etc...

The only reason you stand a chance at all is because you're facing Stormtroopers.

Bust out the original Dark Forces and I'll be impressed :P

They really make you appreciate those force powers though.

We need another Jedi Knight game. Hasn't been a good Jedi Simulator since like Jedi Academy.

Archived