Things You Don't Like In Asoiaf

old griff

Here's another who's annoyed with all the dead characters who won't stay dead. I remember the reading the first couple of books, and really getting the impression that anybody can be killed. It makes you nervous to turn the page. But somewhere after ASOS, that seemed to change.

ADWD Spoilers.

So much so that by the end of ADWD where Jon is 'killed' I'm not believing it at all. He's going to survive or be revived somehow. If that had happened a couple of books ago, I'd have thought he was gone for good. And that would have been more effective, but the more recent novels seem to have overturned that expectation.

And if there was any hope of stability after Tywin's death, it was removed with Kevan's death. :(

Actually, Kevan's death was one of the things that really annoyed me. Up to now, all of the prologues and epilogues have been from characters we've not really seen before, characters that we don't really care about. We know that they're going to die at the end of the chapter, but we don't really care.

I liked Kevan Lannister. It felt like a disservice to the character to have him as an Epilogue POV. As soon as you realise he's the POV and see that Epilogue title at the top of the page you know he's about to die. I wouldn't have minded so much if his death had come as a surprise, it would have been effective. But instead I was reading the chapter thinking "Aw dammit, Kevan's about to die".

I also get annoyed at times with the Daenerys plotline, with it's "white western girl brings civilised values to the eastern savages" sort of theme. GRRM's eastern cultures seem to come across as caricatures rather than real cultures.

• 8 months later...

I always get annoyed at characters blatantly lying because they're so delusional. I know it's a human trait but Cersei acting so upset at people when they bring up her incestuous children is silly. She actually pulls off being offended by something she knows is true. Also, the Frey's at White Harbor telling the story about how Robb and his men turned into wolves and started killing people pissed me off. Another example is all of the word of mouth stories about Dany. By the time the tales get to Volantis and Westeros, she's a bloodthirsty demon that bathes in virgin's blood and has sex with horses. Just seems like overkill to me.

Only thing i hate is the fact that some totally obscure people who nobody gives a damn about suddenly got thrust forward. I like the Greyjoys, but apart from Theon, the rest are just filling up unwanted space. And Brienne...urgh, GRRM just wanted her to help us get to know the crownlands a bit more. Her POV was PSH!!! Arys Oakheart was bloody pointless but at the end at least i was satisfied. And Quentyn Martell...who the eff is that guy?

Yes, too many resurrections is a possibility for this series (not including wights, as someone pointed out to me in another thread; I wasn't thinking of them as resurrections). Honestly, I think there are too many people with the ability to warg. Doesn't seem so special.

Also, why did we have to hear over and over again how ugly Brienne is? I mean, Jaime's internal monologue (and external dialogue) is obsessed with it, and everybody else is struck by it also. Including some folks who are rather homely themselves. But anyway, it's the author's job to realize that, yes, we get it already. (Are there any readers who have forgotten it for more than a second?) Don't waste the type; save it for something else--like advancing the plot.

Archived