NFL Regular Season 2011 Mk.II

Spring Bass

All they were doing with those "headlines" was trying to continue the storyline they created during the NFC Championship Game, when their director or producers or whoever made a conscious decision to only show certain views of Cutler. That's why they lingered for 5 seconds on Cutler standing by himself listening to headphones (that surely must be an iPod and not a link to the coaches headsets) but immediately cut away from a shot of him going over plays with Hanie.

It's Fox. Creating trash that is supposed to outrage others is pretty much what they do.

All they were doing with those "headlines" was trying to continue the storyline they created during the NFC Championship Game, when their director or producers or whoever made a conscious decision to only show certain views of Cutler. That's why they lingered for 5 seconds on Cutler standing by himself listening to headphones (that surely must be an iPod and not a link to the coaches headsets) but immediately cut away from a shot of him going over plays with Hanie.

It's Fox. Creating trash that is supposed to outrage others is pretty much what they do.

Tip o' the hat to Kal and some others who saw right through that stuff same day.

"DeAngelo"? Who's that? ;)

Horrible impression. And who needs a Caliban Imperinario when we have Zadok in this thread...?

Damn it! I always do that. I have no idea why I'm compelled to put the "De" in front of his name. Sorry for the mistake. :(

If it were truly the priority we all know it is, it would have been addressed last year...or by never hiring Mike Martz...

I don't think that it's Martz's fault. I know he has a reputation for getting his quarterbacks hit, but Cutler is getting hit before he even finishes his drops. That line is so bad, I don't think it would really matter who the O-coordinator is. Mike Tyce is a very good O-Line coach, and his schemes are very effective, but what the Bears are dealing with on the offensive line is a general lack of talent. Roberto Garza is the best of the bunch, and he's serviceable but not all that great.

Yeah, that fox news shit is some serious bullshit. I guess it's not surprising, but it's funny that no one in Chicago was questioning his toughness - especially after the truth about the injury came out - but they were still harping on it.

That being said, ugh on the Bears offense. 11 running plays? Forte is probably the Bears' best offensive player right now. LET HIM FREE, MARTZ!

I don't think that it's Martz's fault. I know he has a reputation for getting his quarterbacks hit, but Cutler is getting hit before he even finishes his drops. That line is so bad, I don't think it would really matter who the O-coordinator is. Mike Tyce is a very good O-Line coach, and his schemes are very effective, but what the Bears are dealing with on the offensive line is a general lack of talent. Roberto Garza is the best of the bunch, and he's serviceable but not all that great.

The line is atrocious, but it kind of is partially on Martz. He called nine running plays in the first half. Six of them went up the middle for three yards. Three of them went outside for 46 yards. Forte's two carries in the second half were both up the middle.

A staple of Martz's offense is that the QB cannot audible. There simply are no audibles. It's not allowed. Which means when Martz calls for a seven-step drop that's it. That's the play. Even if Cutler is standing behind center and sees an overload blitz coming from the right side and knows he'll never complete his drop, he can't call a new play. He can't tell Forte he's going to hand him the ball and go left.

It's ridiculous. Martz's offense is run with a combination of ignorance and arrogance. Arrogance because the offense once was formidable. Ignorance because he doesn't care or doesn't realize that it was formidable because he had a future HoF QB, RB, WR (maybe 2), and LT all participating.

To be fair, in every place Martz has gone the offense has improved significantly from year to year. Including Chicago. The problem is that he's making it into a Martz offense without the people in place. They have a good RB and had a good TE, but TEs have no place in the Martz offense.

Archived