Ser Duncan's progeny

Which Tyler

I for one don't recall any single mention of George saying there were four descendants of Dunk. Could somebody please point to the quote?

so, I googled it... a lot! and all I could find was "there is a rumor that..."

and I also found this -lets say- rumor "What is truth is that GRRM said one of Dunk’s descendants would have a POV in AFFC, and that Brienne first had a POV in AFFC" but still without the actual quote :(

• 1 month later...

If Dunk had children, they're surely all bastards. So we should look at characters that have bastard mothers.

It's unlikely that bastard fathers could sire any royalty but maybe if a lord is into tall bastard girls...

Although I'm not sure the tall trait would necessarily go on to be dominant.

Could be Hodor. Brienne as well.

Left and Right could also be his descendants.

The Cleganes... I doubt it. Other lords, little or big, as well.

Brienne could be the best candidate.

She is tall. Her mother isn't mentioned. Her father has a shield that belonged to Dunk.

And she is a POV character.

I think we can safely assume that Dunk didn't couple w/ Mr. Evenstar of Tarth, so Dunk would've had to bag the Evenstar's lady mother? Do these timelines work?

that is my bet too....I think they work, Lord Selwyn is 54 or 55 I believe (in Briennes POV in year 300), which puts his birth in +/- 245/46. At that time Dunk would have to be in his early 50-ies (if he was born in 193 as stated in Wiki of Ice and Fire ) , but then he would have to already be Lord Commander of Eggs Kingsguard and by that act break the wows. (though I seriously doubt Egg would mind his friend banging Lord Evenstars lady wife...LOL)

He died at Summerhall which happened in 259

Technically, it is possible that Dunk is Brienne´s grandfather.

erryk and arryk maybe

... Those guys killed each other in the Dance of the Dragons, eons before Dunk was even born. And the way Sansa references them in Clash of Kings, they might have been cadet-line Targs.

I think Brienne and Hodor are probably legit. Not convinced about the Cleganes, by a long shot.

... Those guys killed each other in the Dance of the Dragons, eons before Dunk was even born. And the way Sansa references them in Clash of Kings, they might have been cadet-line Targs.

I think he's referring to Left and Right, whose real names are Erryk and Arryk (IIRC).

• 2 months later...

I don't know why everyone is so shocked by the idea of the Cleganes as some of Dunk's descendents. I can totally see this being the case, with GRRM's fondness for playing around with the whole 'true knights' idea.

Of course, there is no evidence whatsoever at this point, but if it turned out to be true, I wouldn't think it was all that far-fetched.

I don't know why everyone is so shocked by the idea of the Cleganes as some of Dunk's descendents. I can totally see this being the case, with GRRM's fondness for playing around with the whole 'true knights' idea.

Of course, there is no evidence whatsoever at this point, but if it turned out to be true, I wouldn't think it was all that far-fetched.

Everyone has to remember this is the same universe where Egg's grandson is Mad King Aerys; what's to stop the Cleganes from being descended from Dunk?

Brienne´s freckles might be a hint that her mother or one of her grandparents was a Webber. Dunk & Egg spoiler.

So lady Rohanne probably gave Duncan more than her braid and a kiss.

Why do they have to be tall?

My guess is Boros Blount.

They don't *have* to be tall, but given how many characters in the series are mentioned as being exceedingly tall.....it just seems likely that this a clue towards the identity of a possible ancestor in Ser Duncan the Tall.

Brienne´s freckles might be a hint that her mother or one of her grandparents was a Webber. Dunk & Egg spoiler.

Or Dunk paid a visit again to Coldstone after Ser Useless died to see the what 5-time widow?

Maybe, but it´s Coldmoat,

remember the moat started the trouble.

:)

That's right how silly of me, and

wasn't it the dam that caused the trouble? I know I guess she lists the moat as one reason they need the water diverted by the dam but I think most probably went to the crops because they said the moat was only a few feet deep or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe that's not completely absurd. Assuming

Lady Rohanne took advantage of more-or-less comatose Dunk, a child conceived during that act would legally become Ser Useless Whatshisname's son/daughter, and possibly heir/ess to Coldmoat and Ser Useless' tower

That person should be perfectly marriable for someone from House Tarth (or any other noble house Brienne descends from in the maternal line).

Archived