*March's What are you Reading?!*

nobodymN

Finished Barbara Kingslover's 'The Bean Trees'. Her writing style reminds me a lot of Maeve Binchy but with a darker touch. It was a quick, solid and easy read.

Still reading 'Bone Doll's Twin' by Lynn Flewelling. I know I'll breeze through it once I get into it, just having some difficulty finding a foothold.

Started Dry by Augusten Burroughs last night. It is very good so far. In a nutshell it is his experience in rehab for alcoholism. It is much more realistic than A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. I liked MLP, but Frey's bravado (and bullshit) was grating.

Probably not as much to read this month due to starting a new job that will keep me very occupied, but here are the ones I think I should finish reading:

Elena Poniatowska, La Piel del cielo - This one the Spanish-language Alfaguara Award in 2001 and it's an interesting, emotional read so far.

Anonymous, The Poem of El Cid (bilingual edition) - I've been wanting to read this for a long time and it's really, really good so far, about a quarter into it. And the Old Spanish rocks :D

Shashi Tharoor, The Great Indian Novel - A loose retelling of the Mahabharata starring modern Indian politicans/heroes. Interesting, in a darkly comic way.

Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio - This was recommended for me to read and I'll get to it in the next week or so.

Dan Simmons, Olympos - A friend lent me his ARC, so I guess I should read it, huh? ;)

And hopefully a few others, depending upon time and when they arrive to me. Most of them being in Spanish.

Currently working my way through Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I don't at all like her writing style, especially the loose third-person/omniscient perspective the book is written in, but it's nonetheless an interesting read.

I just finished Hexwood by Diana Wynne Jones. Not as good as her best stuff, but it's still a complex and original mix of space opera, Dickian weirdness and mythopoetic fantasy.
Yeah, it's a weird combo she manages here. Reminds me a bit of A Tale of Time City. I've only read this one (and The Merlin Conspiracy) once. I wonder if they would both benefit from a re-read. Hopefully I'll be dealing with an ever-enlarging re-read pile in the summer, after I get done with uni.

I still have about 100 pages of Quicksilver to go. Reading for pleasure is limited to bed-time for me now and it hurts to take so long to finish a book. :cry:

I'm currently reading "Memories of Ice", a truly massive tome.

I just saw the US trade edition of MoI next to the trade DHG for the first time yesterday, and I was amazed at how ridiculously massive that edition of MoI is. I have the Canadian mass-market and the two books are roughly the same size, but in the American trade MoI is half again as big as DHG. In fact, that MoI is almost as thick as my copy! I don't get it...

I really don't recommend mass-market for such big books though; they always feel like they're just this close to falling apart.

I just finished Wi'tch Fire by James Clemens...strange very strange book, dont know what to make of it

yeah, Ive read the full series and it...is decent but isnt anything to write home about.

as for me, Ive just started Eriksons -The Bonehunters

I just finished Wi'tch Fire by James Clemens...strange very strange book, dont know what to make of it

Strange? I don't remember it being strange. Pretty much entirely unremarkable and cliche, to my memory (I read it a couple years ago), except for an absolutely atrocious overuse of the apostrophe in invented words (and non-invented words such as Wit'ch). It was bad enough that I didn't read the sequels, and I almost ALWAYS read the sequels.

Perhaps you can remind me what was interesting?

I'm reading "A Fire Upon the Deep" by V. Vinge. I just finished Part I and it's been a little bit of a struggle. Definitely some interesting concepts but it just seems disjointed thus far. Part I ended with a bang so I'm hopeful it will drag me in a bit more as I continue.

I've also started "Thud" by T. Pratchett. I think I've overdone TP novels lately as I'm just not feeling it.

Actually, both these books may be great. I finished Bakker's "The Warrior Prophet" a week ago and it was truly remarkable. It's hard to follow an act like that and half my attention still seems to be focused on the events of that book. I need to get my hands on TTT as soon as possible.

Been running out of books that the local B&N has that look worthwhile... so I picked up a second Conan anthology, tore through that in a couple of days, and grabbed my first one again to reread.

Currently building a large Amazon shopping cart, mostly of authors I've never read before, though it includes Stackpole's Cartomancy and also Perchance to Dream, and a couple of Martin and Kay.

Most of the shopping cart is built from reccomendations from this board.

Currently building a large Amazon shopping cart, mostly of authors I've never read before, though it includes Stackpole's Cartomancy and also Perchance to Dream, and a couple of Martin and Kay.

Most of the shopping cart is built from reccomendations from this board.

I've been doing the same thing - also mostly due to recommendations from the board. I have so many books I already own I figured adding them to the Wish List was a better option than running out and buying them all so they could collect dust until I get around to reading them.

As for my current reading - I'm in the middle of Lust by Geoff Ryman. I picked this up awhile back as a result of a Stego review on the old board. I haven't read anything else by the author, but this one has been entertaining so far.

I am starting Don Quixote. I know the story well enough that I had tricked myself into thinking I had read it before. I am breaking it up with Roddy Doyle's Rabbitte triolgy.

Next I'm probably going to do Hitchiker's Guide to the Universe for the first time.

Did you mean The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy, or did I miss something? The Guide is a deeply religious tome to me, and it was written by an atheist. Man I am so confused.

Archived