*March's What are you Reading?!*

nobodymN

Still slugging through The Diviners and enjoying Catch-22.

Finished The Count of Monte Cristo (audio) on saturday for the second time *heart*

Otherwise; artiles, essays and books on the Tibetan Revolt. (Test tomorrow worth 50% Yay for me...)

I too am busy working my way through a pile of recommendations from this board. Currently I'm reading Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber, and enjoying it very much. I like the unusual mixture of film-noir-style dialogue and psychedelic landscape changes.

Strange? I don't remember it being strange. Pretty much entirely unremarkable and cliche, to my memory (I read it a couple years ago), except for an absolutely atrocious overuse of the apostrophe in invented words (and non-invented words such as Wit'ch). It was bad enough that I didn't read the sequels, and I almost ALWAYS read the sequels.

Perhaps you can remind me what was interesting?

hmm, Ive read my post over and over and I still cant seem to see anywhere where I said the book was interesting. You must be mistaken my friend. Care to tell me where you saw me say the book was interesting?

hmm, Ive read my post over and over and I still cant seem to see anywhere where I said the book was interesting. You must be mistaken my friend. Care to tell me where you saw me say the book was interesting?

You implied it wasn't shit :unsure:

You implied it wasn't shit :unsure:

I said it was strange and it was, and believe me I havent rushed out to get the second book either, i highly doubt I will. I wont say it was shit either because I understand that it was James Clemens first book, I will give him that.

I'm reading Desolation Road by Ian McDonald. It's a magical realist/cyberpunk novel set on mars and it's very good. I'd say that anyone who likes Miéville should enjoy this novel. (And it would make a kick ass anime series as well.)

Yeah, it's a weird combo she manages here. Reminds me a bit of A Tale of Time City. I've only read this one (and The Merlin Conspiracy) once. I wonder if they would both benefit from a re-read. Hopefully I'll be dealing with an ever-enlarging re-read pile in the summer, after I get done with uni.

I haven't read any of these. Hexwood reminded me a bit of Archer's Goon, but sort of like it had been written from the other side of the story. It didn't work quite as well as AG though.

Archer's Goon was never really one of my favourites but I still can't deny that it's a great story. Did you ever see the TV series? I might even have it on video from when I was a kid.

The Merlin Conspiracy is the most recent of her books (I think). After F&H I'd probably say that Charmed Life and Witch Week were my most loved DWJ books. Miles better than HP.

I'm currently reading Gardens of the Moon for the first time, and I must say I'm really enjoying. Can't believe I waited so long in reading it; it's been sitting on my bookshelf for about a year now. Just tracked down the next two installments today, so I'll be reading those through my Spring Break.

:D

Archer's Goon was never really one of my favourites but I still can't deny that it's a great story. Did you ever see the TV series? I might even have it on video from when I was a kid.

The Merlin Conspiracy is the most recent of her books (I think). After F&H I'd probably say that Charmed Life and Witch Week were my most loved DWJ books. Miles better than HP.

She has written so many excellent novels that it's hard to chose a favourite, but if I were pressed I would probably say Archer's Goon. It's perhaps the only absolutely pitch perfect novel I have ever read; there isn't a misplaced word in the entire book. (I haven't seen the TV series though, but I've heard that it isn't very good.)

I've only read Fire & Hemlock once, so it's a bit hard to compare to some others that I've read more times than I can remember, but it's definitely up there among her best. My favourite Chrestomanci novel is The Lives of Christopher Chant, but the whole series is obviously much better than HP; I guess it helps having protagonists with at least a shred of personality. :)

Other favourites are Howl's Moving Castle and The Power of Three.

Armageddon Rag, GRRM

I am reading what works I can find by GRRM', as I usually enjoy his novels. AR is, so far, realistic fiction, which I do not usually like. Reading it, I am reminded why. i love the actual writing. The Nazgul sound just awesome, but there is too grand a plot and too much mysticism( even if revealed as fake) for it to feal like realistic enough, and too strong a grounding in this world to have the plot freedom of fantasy. I may be wrong, but I feel that the whole Nazgul revival plan is inevitably doomed to failure. There will be violence and there will be blood, and in the end, nothing will change. The theme will will be that time just keeps going on. I hope I am wrong. The book conveys well the nostalgia for a bygone era, but reading about character after character whose life has wasted, become pointless and mundane-- that is just depressing. At least there hasn't been a Dysfunctional Family... oh wait the crazy Mr. Byrne and Slum.

A short book, yet I have been reading it for 10 days already. Classic literature may take this long, but for contemporary...I just wish I were done. I can't wait to move on to Darkness that Comes Before, and Gardens of the Moon, books I have heard too much about on this board.

Cteresa, Alan Garner is one of my favourites, and The Owl Service is an uncanny book. In fact, his novels seem to have gotten progressively ... not weirder, exactly, but different. Hard to describe. His earliest books, The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and The Moon of Gomrath, you might also be interested in.

Side note about Garner: he gets a sigil in the Roll of Arms at the back of the Hedge Knight comic, three owls on three dinner plates. If ever I meet GRRM, I'm gonna ask why. :)

Just finished Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, which I liked better than American Gods, but I usually am more in the mood for funny stuff.

I am reading Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte. It sounds like a good novel. I hope that I will complete it in a few days. :D

I love Bronte sisters, they're really good....

I am finishing the second part of Claudius by Robert Graves, it's taking me ages, from all the studying. Not sure what to read next, we'll see...

Armageddon Rag, GRRM

The book conveys well the nostalgia for a bygone era, but reading about character after character whose life has wasted, become pointless and mundane-- that is just depressing. At least there hasn't been a Dysfunctional Family... oh wait the crazy Mr. Byrne and Slum.

I wasn't too convinced about the nostalgia. While the main character is certainly nostalgiac, his memories don't really make the past sound at all attractive. I didn't like the characters of Sandy's friends much either, they frankly didn't add much to the story.

I read it about a month ago, I do have more to say about it, but I did start a thread about it last month, so I don't feel like repeating myself here. I would say that together with Windhaven it is a contender for being GRRM's weakest book, although it is still at least sporadically good.

Archived