Syrio Forel

Ice & Fire

As to the guardsmen:

"A knight of the Kingsguard stood beneath the arch of the door with five Lannister guardsmen arrayed behind him."

"Five men were down, dead, or dying by the time Arya reached the back door that opened on the kitchen."

I suppose the chances are same on Syrio being dead, and alive. As there is nothing in the book concerning his fate, I guess we will either find out in later books, or never know.

Also, I believe, that the metallic clang in the TV show was coming from the fighting upstairs, even though she turned around. At least it should, if it was to be according to the book. Arya ran through the kitchen first, just then she got to the stairs and I believe that no sound from Syrio should have been able to reach her by then.

That is the same feeling I got because in the book it doesn't say she heard the sound of a sword hitting the floor...and yes we can say for certain those 5 men were dead, if I recall correctly he started off by dodging and one of the unbalanced guardsmen lurched into the other and they both went down, then he stabbed that guy's eye out, then as the two on the ground were getting up he took one's cap and kicked the other in the face, the one with the dagger then was blocked by the cap and had his knee cap shattered, Syrio then dodged another great wood-chopping swing and it caught the guy with out a helmet right in the collarbone area, then before he could get the sword out of his comrade Syrio smashed in his throat with his stick. Then it says that there were 5 men laying on the ground, dead or dying.

Another point I thought was different in the show was how certain it was Syrio was dead, because as Arya runs away all of the guardsmen are getting up and Ser Meryn had Syrio in close holding on to his arm (I think) and then smashing his wooden sword. I found it even more odd that G.R.M.M. was the one who directed that episode, so I think it might be that Syrio really did die but G.R.M.M. wanted to change how that scene played out so it was more obvious. Having said that, I really do hope Syrio comes back because I need to hear "Just so" a few more times.

It would be interesting, but I don't think so.

CoK spoiler

Jaqen looked more like one of the Faceless Men to me, although by the end of CoK (that is where I am now in the series) we have not read anything specific about them, except that they exist :-) Crafty murder, change of face, that seems like an expensive assassin rather than first sword of Braavos (sounds like a man of honor). Also, now that I write about it, the very name of the guild suggests it - FACELESS men. Could be why they are so successful :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I liked Syrio, but always saw him as a means to an end, storywise. To get Arya on her road with some credibility.

Having taking the dancing lessons it is made believable she could survive when she is forced to leave Kings Landing.

And Syrio had a function in assuring that Arya was not taken captive, like Sansa, after Cersei took control.

With that Syrio has fulfilled his role in the storyline, I think. What purpose would it serve in bringing him back again?

Mind you, I wouldn't mind. I liked his character in the novel and the actor in the show stole my heart in how he portrayed the character.

Edited for spoiler regarding a character who is not in AGOT. Sorry, didn't realise this is a still reading-thread.

Can we assume that Syrio killed the Lannister guards who accompanied Trant? Because I never got that impression, neither from the book nor the show. So, it seems fairly likely that at least a few of them would've gotten back up at some point to help Trant take down the Braavosi (that is, if he needed help).

There are various conspiracy theories floating around as to what happened, but best not get into those until you read further into the series. We'd definitely be in spoiler-territory if we did.

In the book it said that they were either dead or dieing .

But getting to the point of the author , it is said that Merrin Trant surivied I remember reading it , and I saw him near the iron throne when they fired Barriston. But I think he is alive .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Schroedinger's Syrio, exactly like that.

Until we know for sure, he is both alive and dead.

Personally, I don't necessarily need him to pop up later in the story, but I would really like to believe he is still alive, even if he didn't finish off Trent and the guards (which I'm not sure of). Simply because a world with a Syrio in it is a merrier place than a Syrio-less world. I really liked the character and to me, it is easily credible that he somehow escaped, even without killing everyone else in the room. All that was needed is the six attackers be temporarily unable to fight and for a water dancer it shouldn't be impossible.

Greetings,

Steph

I can't see how we're supposed to 'know' that he's dead. It's very strongly hinted at, and from the POV of Arya it makes sense that she doesn't find out, but there doesn't seem to be anything in the book or TV series that confirms his death.

We see other characters literally come back from the dead later on

so I don't see how it's impossible that Syrio is still alive

I was thinking ... (minor A Clash of Kings spoiler)

... maybe Syrio 'shapeshifted' into Trant, just like Jaqen H'Ghar did as he left Harrenhal. I don't think I'm the first one thinking about this theory, but it just came up into my mind.

Archived