Syrio Forel

Ice & Fire

well the theory on syrio beeing or red and white haired friend might be possible acording to some reasons but its highly unlikely hopfully the subject will be cleared out :) as for me i do think he killed the guards but Trant didn't die right? a vaguely remember but think later on there is a certain boat trip. so if Trant is not dead Syrio would be i guess. Im not getting my hopes up just yet :P

In the site FAQ it stipulates that he is dead and that GRRM has stated as much in multiple interviews and is honestly annoyed that people won't let him be dead. Also you've got to consider that Ser Meryn is still alive, had an actual sword and as a member of the Kingsguard should have been a challenge even for the first sword of Braavos, especially when that first sword had a wooden sword.

In the site FAQ it stipulates that he is dead and that GRRM has stated as much in multiple interviews and is honestly annoyed that people won't let him be dead. Also you've got to consider that Ser Meryn is still alive, had an actual sword and as a member of the Kingsguard should have been a challenge even for the first sword of Braavos, especially when that first sword had a wooden sword.

Aw, sadness. Don't rain on our parade, GRRM. You hate hope.

You Bastard!

In the site FAQ it stipulates that he is dead and that GRRM has stated as much in multiple interviews and is honestly annoyed that people won't let him be dead.

He never said any such thing. GRRM said something like "people don't live forever you know... blah, blah, blah vague GRRM comment."

What do we say to the God of Death?

I know people has disproved it somewhat, but I can't help but think maybe Syrio was thrown into the black cells, where he befriended Rorge and Biter. I know it's a long-shot, but it would be awesome if he went from teacher to guardian angel of Arya.

Either way, I hold out on hope that my favourite character meets her mentor once more before I finish the series.

What do we say to the God of Death?

I know people has disproved it somewhat, but I can't help but think maybe Syrio was thrown into the black cells, where he befriended Rorge and Biter. I know it's a long-shot, but it would be awesome if he went from teacher to guardian angel of Arya.

Either way, I hold out on hope that my favourite character meets her mentor once more before I finish the series.

Time-wise this was proven impossible. It is mentioned that there are three men down in the black cells before Syrio's final fight. My theory: Syrio shapeshifted into Meryn Trant.

Why isn't Ser Meryn dead then?

By the time Arya leave Syrio is down to a half stump of wood and is facing off Trant with it.

He obviously did not pick-up a true sword at any point or Ser Meryn would be dead.

Seems pretty clear Syrio is dead.

This is from this site.

In 2005, GRRM pointed out that Syrio seems to have been left in a hopeless situation when he was last seen, and suggested readers should "draw your own conclusions" based on this (SSM), which seems to imply that Syrio Forel was in fact killed. More recent reports (but, it should be said, unconfirmed) indicate GRRM does not understand why he gets asked the question repeatedly, pointing out that Syrio is not immortal; if accurate, this seems to more heavily imply that Syrio Forel is dead.

Does anyone get a feeling that GRRM might bring back a few characters at some point in the last two books instead of just killing more? Syrup, benjen, drogo, etc?

Would any of these characters be of importance? I'm not done with agot yet, but in fantasy I guess nothing is completely outside the realm of impossibility.

Why isn't Ser Meryn dead then?

By the time Arya leave Syrio is down to a half stump of wood and is facing off Trant with it.

He obviously did not pick-up a true sword at any point or Ser Meryn would be dead.

Seems pretty clear Syrio is dead.

This is from this site.

He didn't need to kill him, he most likely knocked him out and escaped. Trant was not in the same league as Syrio skill wise, half stump of wood or not.

Why isn't Trant dead then? More than likely he was shamed into defeat by Syrio, who then escaped his clutches. I could then see him telling his Lannister cohorts to keep quiet about it otherwise they would all be in trouble with the Lannister officers/commanders for losing Arya. Probably even start a rumour that Arya is dead (I mean, it wasn't exactly long before everyone started assuming Arya was dead). We don't hear Tyrion/Cersei or anyone on the small council mention a "dancing instructor" who singler handedly destroyed a squad of Lannister men-at-arms.

This thing with Syrio reminds me of "the Russian" mystery that surrounded The Sopranos. If you've seen it you'll know what I mean.

Archived