NFL Regular Season Mk.III

arrowfan

I seriously hope there is some fallout against Fox for their fabricated headlines and intentional defamation of Cutler.

ETA wishful thinking, I know. If Fox can get away with it for fabricated political stories I imagine they can with sports too. I feel... like taking a shower

I seriously hope there is some fallout against Fox for their fabricated headlines and intentional defamation of Cutler.

ETA wishful thinking, I know. If Fox can get away with it for fabricated political stories I imagine they can with sports too. I feel... like taking a shower

I fiercely defend my status as "independent liberal", and have little problem with people who are more conservative (normally republicans). But the moment someone says they watch/got something from Fox "news", I want to punt them into a volcano.

(Sorry, not trying to turn this into a political thread.)

<Quote>

The line is atrocious, but it kind of is partially on Martz. He called nine running plays in the first half. Six of them went up the middle for three yards. Three of them went outside for 46 yards. Forte's two carries in the second half were both up the middle.

A staple of Martz's offense is that the QB cannot audible. There simply are no audibles. It's not allowed. Which means when Martz calls for a seven-step drop that's it. That's the play. Even if Cutler is standing behind center and sees an overload blitz coming from the right side and knows he'll never complete his drop, he can't call a new play. He can't tell Forte he's going to hand him the ball and go left.

It's ridiculous. Martz's offense is run with a combination of ignorance and arrogance. Arrogance because the offense once was formidable. Ignorance because he doesn't care or doesn't realize that it was formidable because he had a future HoF QB, RB, WR (maybe 2), and LT all participating.

<Quote>

Yeah, but remember. 42 of those yards came on one play. It's hard to keep running the ball when you're behind, and getting stuffed. I definitely agree that Martz has a share in the blame, but the O-Line is the ultimate problem here.

Thankfully Chicago Tribune was having none of Fox's BS. This link has a screenshot of one of Fox's lies. So some overpaid clown in Fox's control (war) room decides to manufacture a lie and they've already got their henchmen generating graphics.

ETA still trying to figure out why the Chi Tribune waited until now to release this...

Yeah, but remember. 42 of those yards came on one play. It's hard to keep running the ball when you're behind, and getting stuffed. I definitely agree that Martz has a share in the blame, but the O-Line is the ultimate problem here.

No one disputes that the O-Line is a serious issue...but the fact that Mike Martz insists on running his, mostly outdated and mostly complicated, system of offense in spite of he fact that he doesn't have the O-Line or other pieces it requires to work effectively is pig headed and stupid. The offense only was able to balance out and click last season once Martz was given the "come to Jesus" speech...let's hope that speech came this week for this season...

Headed to my first NFL game this weekend... supposed to be a high of 65 with scattered Thunderstorms in Cincy this weekend. :bs: Had hoped for a bit better weather, but I'll enjoy it nonetheless.

The offensive line is bad. Everyone knew it would be when the Bears made very little effort to improve it. When you have a weakness on your team you work around it. You don't let all the success of your play calling revolve around that weakness, which is exactly what Martz does when he continuously calls those seven-step drops in spite of the fact that Cutler can barely complete a three-step drop before he has company in the backfield.

Week 1 against Atlanta showed that this offense can score on a good defense even while Cutler is being treated like a tackling dummy.

As for the running game, the fact that Forte got 42 yards on one carry is exactly why you keep going back to the run. If he's getting stuffed 8 out of 10 times and getting 50 yards on those other two carries, those are good odds. You keep playing those odds.

No one disputes that the O-Line is a serious issue...but the fact that Mike Martz insists on running his, mostly outdated and mostly complicated, system of offense in spite of he fact that he doesn't have the O-Line or other pieces it requires to work effectively is pig headed and stupid. The offense only was able to balance out and click last season once Martz was given the "come to Jesus" speech...let's hope that speech came this week for this season...

We can only hope. That and the defense is pissed off big time. I want to see Peppers wiping that douchey smirk off Aaron Rodger's face in a bad bad way.

Headed to my first NFL game this weekend... supposed to be a high of 65 with scattered Thunderstorms in Cincy this weekend. :bs: Had hoped for a bit better weather, but I'll enjoy it nonetheless.

Just don't think about how you'd be getting a better view of the game from a more comfortable seat with less expensive food and drink from your couch and you will have a good time at an NFL game. That's really the only trick to it.

Just don't think about how you'd be getting a better view of the game from a more comfortable seat with less expensive food and drink from your couch and you will have a good time at an NFL game. That's really the only trick to it.

And bring your own beer. Lots of beer.

:rofl:

You go to a game to experience the crowd and the game with thousands of other people. It's decidedly far inferior to watching a game at home with HD and a DVR in a nice room with a cushy couch - but there is nothing like 80,000 screaming fans and the excitement that brings. They're not comparable - it's like being on a roller coaster vs. watching the latest big-budget action flick.

It's decidedly far inferior to watching a game at home with HD and a DVR in a nice room with a cushy couch - but there is nothing like 80,000 screaming fans and the excitement that brings.

There's also something to be said about shared agony and shared ecstasy.

In 2007 I went to the first game the Pats played after "Spygate"; it was the most amazing sporting event I have ever been to. It was the day "evil Patriots" was born because at that precise instant every other fan, player and representative of football declared the Patriots to be "The Villain" and the Patriots- from the players to its lowliest fans -declared in unison that it was us against the world. Belichick came out and waved to the crowd (something he has never done before or since); people booed at the most inappropriate times; Teddy Bruschi would run up to Belichick after almost every big play and say "that one was for you, coach"; I saw proof that Adalius Thomas was, in fact, alive (there has been no corroborating evidence of this since that game). It was electrifying. After the Pats scored (Moss first TD at home), by buddy Jay turned to me as the place was going absolutely out of its mind and said, "Sometimes, you just want to drink the Kool-Aide."

Conversely, I was at the Jets-Pats playoff game last season. Holy fucking Hell. Just 80,000 miserable people yelling "LOOK AT THE CLOCK!" like 2500 times. After the game, it wasn't the worst feeling in the world because, well, you shared it with 79,999 other idiots who thought that a team with the worst 3rd down defense in playoff history (look it up) could actually win playoff games. Fucking shit that sucked balls. But it was made far more palatable because you got to share your misery.

Then I posted here and everyone laughed uproariously.

You go to a game to experience the crowd and the game with thousands of other people. It's decidedly far inferior to watching a game at home with HD and a DVR in a nice room with a cushy couch - but there is nothing like 80,000 screaming fans and the excitement that brings. They're not comparable - it's like being on a roller coaster vs. watching the latest big-budget action flick.

And add on to that the expanded field of vision being in the stadium gives. You can see every open receiver, see running lanes develop, see whats going on further down field during punt/kick returns, see where every one (including all DBs) are lined up.

I get so sick of the close up shots TV broadcasts show. QB snaps the ball ... and most of the time all you can see is the QB and the pass rush. Drives me crazy.

Provided you have decent seats (no endzone) ... being at the game is the best even for viewing, IMO. Comfort and expense is another story. But, being there ... pure football satisfaction.

If you are in seats where you can see a TV when you want to, all the better.

The seats my buddy had at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley were awesome. It was an old building, very few amenities but great atmosphere and a gorgeous setting. A half-arsed Jumbotron was the only source of replays for 99% of the stadium. Except for those of us right next to the press box. We could just turn around and peek in at the TV there when a controversial call was being replayed and the rest of the crowd was being kept in the dark.

If two beers isn't enough for you to enjoy a football game, you may have an issue that needs addressing. And two beers at the stadium isn't all that expensive.

If two beers isn't enough for you to enjoy a football game, you may have an issue that needs addressing. And two beers at the stadium isn't all that expensive.

Of course you can enjoy a football game with only two beers, but this is America, dammit! Certain standards need to be be maintatined.

Of course you can enjoy a football game with only two beers, but this is America, dammit! Certain standards need to be be maintatined.

:thumbsup: On game day? 2 beers would be my minimum just for the parking lot. Hoping to finally see a game at Lambeau this season. Buddy o mine has tix :smoking:

The seats my buddy had at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley were awesome. It was an old building, very few amenities but great atmosphere and a gorgeous setting.

For sure - Raiders and 9ers games must be sweet with all the setting elements. I cheered on the Bears at Soldier Field a while back. Pretty cool looking old stadium . Loved it.

Archived