2011 Major League Baseball 2 - The Postseason

Bronn Stone

Well, to respond to the Lord O' Bones then...

I went to FSU and am a native of Atlanta, so try being me if you think the Chop is trite. When Neon Deon brought the Chop to the ATL in 91 it was hot, but it should have died when Mad Dog, Glav and Smoltzie broke up. I personally miss Chief Knockahomer. I get it though, but it was iconic in the 90s and will always be better than rally monkeys, white towels and thundersticks.

will always be better than rally monkeys, white towels and thundersticks.

I would love to hear the rest of the MLB thread posters weigh in on this. Because I'm thinking hell no.

Though the Rally monkey really is stupid as hell, and the thundersticks should have remained in Japan, I don't see much of a problem with towels of any color. But the Tomahawk Chop? Absolute worst. Barely beating out Beach Balls in the stands or the Wave.

I would love to hear the rest of the MLB thread posters weigh in on this. Because I'm thinking hell no.

Though the Rally monkey really is stupid as hell, and the thundersticks should have remained in Japan, I don't see much of a problem with towels of any color. But the Tomahawk Chop? Absolute worst. Barely beating out Beach Balls in the stands or the Wave.

I kinda like the Rally Monkey, but I love monkeys in general. They add an instant 15% to the funny scale.

Thundersticks are annoying as hell, particularly if you are in the stands. Very hard to tune out. Easily the most intrusive stand gimmick activity.

My standard for this stuff is that quirky, organic things are better than fake things that the team tries to push. I'm not close enough to any other fan base to really assess which is which. My perception is that the Rally Monkey was just such a quirky thing, and that white towels are boring and unoriginal. Anything that you can import to any other team and it makes just as much sense (maybe if you change the color scheme) is lame.

Tomahawk Chop is cool by this standard in a vacuum but there is all the racial baggage to consider.

Tomahawk Chop is cool by this standard in a vacuum but there is all the racial baggage to consider.

The Seminole Nation endorsed the Chop when it was unveiled in Tallahassee. A statute of Chief Osceola on Renegade stands triumphant outside Doak Campbell Stadium bearing the quote "Unconquered" on its pedestal to memorialize the Seminole tribe. The Seminoles endorsed the chop at Florida State and did not oppose it when Deon Sanders implemented it with the Braves while he was playing for them in 1991. Therefore, unlike Chief Knockahomer, the indian tribes were not as offended by the chop, albeit some, mostly the Cherokee, surely were and remain so today.

The ghost of Chief Noc-a-Homa is sitting by a littered roadside somewhere, with one tear on his cheek over the slanderous spelling of his name.

Wave

Costumed Mascot Races

Beach Balls

Rally Monkey

Sweet Caroline

Tomahawk Chop

Thundersticks

In ascending order of sacrilege and annoyance

I friggin' hate the Chop, but the Rally Monkey is just ingrained in my mind as the Second Worst Thing in Baseball after a rule which I won't bring up lest it take over yet another thread.

Hopefully the NLDS has Brewers in 3. Get those motherfucking snakes out of the motherfucking playoffs.

Anyone that brings or uses thundersticks at a game deserves to be taken under the stadium and shot in the face.

I don't mind stuff like the chop or Sweet Caroline, as they seem like more unique traditions to specific teams. Other than that the only thing I don't mind is towels.

And so help me, if someone ever tries to introduce a vuvuzela to American sports, then I want to get medieval. Drawn and quartered and then flayed alive on the pitchers mound.

Part of what made it okay to be a Mets fan in the 90's (when, like now, they sucked), was knowing that even if the Braves beat the shit out of us week after week, we still had moral superiority over those fucking racists.*

* Especially John Rocker. Fuck that guy.

Part of what made it okay to be a Mets fan in the 90's (when, like now, they sucked), was knowing that even if the Braves beat the shit out of us week after week, we still had moral superiority over those fucking racists.*

* Especially John Rocker. Fuck that guy.

I admit, I'm somewhat surprised that the racial undertones of thousands of (mostly) white people doing a generically stupid mockery of a "native war chant" isn't a bigger deal. No matter how many dozens of Seminoles said "whatever" before it moved to Atlanta.

What's worse is the electronic scoreboard version of this. At AT&T, they used to do different colored cable cars racing through a computer generated San Francisco.

And to briefly bring back the lol Oakland A's, at the Coliseum they have colored dots racing around an oval.

But crap like this is not what I meant when I asked about this sort of thing. I mean in game shenanigans, not in between innings tomfoolery that I'm sure every park has in abundance.

Archived