2011 Major League Baseball 2 - The Postseason

Bronn Stone

And to briefly bring back the lol Oakland A's, at the Coliseum they have colored dots racing around an oval.

But crap like this is not what I meant when I asked about this sort of thing. I mean in game shenanigans, not in between innings tomfoolery that I'm sure every park has in abundance.

A buddy of mine had a promotion idea that I thought was totally hilarious. Completely impractical, but hilarious. If the home team is up ten runs or more going into the 9th, a lucky fan gets to start off pitching the inning! Hilarity ensues!

I never offer football picks because I don't know enough about it. But baseball I feel like I know a little about, so I guess I'll do my playoff prognostication:

Division Round:

Rangers in 4

Yankees in 5

Brewers in 5

Phillies in 4

LCS Round:

Rangers in 5 (this is me dreaming)

Phillies in 6

World Series:

Phillies in 7

Realistically I would expect the Yankees to beat the Rangers and then the Phillies, but I can't predict that any more than I could root for it, because it would make me sad. So maybe the 45% chance the Rangers will win will hit.

What's worse is the electronic scoreboard version of this. At AT&T, they used to do different colored cable cars racing through a computer generated San Francisco.

It's computerized boat races now. At the very least it could be computerized kayaks, but real ones would be funnier.

Anyway, I can't really bring myself to hate the Phillies, so I'll take them over whatever AL team for the WS. Consider the ASG favor returned, Philly.

If St. Louis does not resign Albert, I hope we go for Reyes.

If we had Wainwright this year you would all fear our coming.

ETA: Per my previous post about Boston, I just watched both Kruk and Schilling basically say "this is all on the players." I totally agree. This was a psychological breakdown of a talented team being chase by another talented team. Calls for Epstein's head or Francona's head feel extremely premature to me.

Sounding more like there really aren't calls for their heads, but offers to take there heads out of there. From a few different sources it sounds like the Boston boys are heading to Chicago - Theo to the Cubs, Francona to the other Sox.

What do they do to appease Sawks Nation this summer? Pick up another 4 pitchers capable of being in the starting rotation, get Crawford to a psychologist/psychiatrist/shaman to exorcise his "big market demons", find a training team that will get the team healthy and in shape.

Heard some folks talking about going after Pujols...be interesting to see what they do. Ortiz doesn't have a contract for 2012, but letting him walk won't endear management to the fans. Plus they'd have to figure out who is on first and who is DH - neither of whom seem likely to want to back down.

And so help me, if someone ever tries to introduce a vuvuzela to American sports, then I want to get medieval. Drawn and quartered and then flayed alive on the pitchers mound.

flayed alive after drawn and quartered?

Heard some folks talking about going after Pujols...be interesting to see what they do. Ortiz doesn't have a contract for 2012, but letting him walk won't endear management to the fans. Plus they'd have to figure out who is on first and who is DH - neither of whom seem likely to want to back down.

I don't think most fans will mind if Ortiz doesn't re-sign. He's going to want too much money for what he is (i.e. an aging, overweight DH with a history of PED use). I'm sure they would love to get Pujols but I can't see either him or Gonzalez wanting to be the full time DH.

Reyes is a chump for that shit he pulled in game 162. He, ser, is no Albert Pujols.

As for no clamoring about the chop by local Indians... Georgia doesn't have any: Andrew Jackson made them all walk to Oklahoma when gold was discovered in Dahlonega. /sarcasm

I believe the Phils will rue the day they swept the Braves out of the Playoffs. Berkman, Pujols and Holliday (if he does come back healthy) are far more fearsome than Arizona then the winner of Milwaukee vs. Atlanta would have been.

I don't think the Cardinals bats are that much scarier than the Brewers. Their SP staff is better, but the St. Louis bullpen is a disaster (pretty much Motte or Not).

As to whether you'd rather face the D-backs or the Cardinals up first, that is harder to say. With Wainwright down, the Cardinals can't match the Arizona starters. The D-backs bats are untested in the post-season, but there are plenty of emerging stars. Arizona is a team that really doesn't make sense in the first place, so it is hard to predict what they'll show. I can see them going all the way or flaming out totally. Either way, I can't wait.

As to whether you'd rather face the D-backs or the Cardinals up first, that is harder to say. With Wainwright down, the Cardinals can't match the Arizona starters. The D-backs bats are untested in the post-season, but there are plenty of emerging stars. Arizona is a team that really doesn't make sense in the first place, so it is hard to predict what they'll show. I can see them going all the way or flaming out totally. Either way, I can't wait.

This is probably my N.L. West bias coming out, but I'd give the D-backs a slight nod over the Cards. They've got power up and down that lineup, good starting pitching and their bullpen is a little better than everyone thinks. On top of that, they just believe. I got to see a lot more of them than I did the Cards this year, so I'm sure that factors in to my assessment.

So it sounds like Tito is on his way out, and the word is that it's coming down from John Henry to personally do the firing.

Such a mixed feeling. It seems weird to fire such a prolific Boston manager when you know that he's going to immediately be hired somewhere else.

The only way I see Theo leaving is if he wants to leave, which isn't really clear at this point. I can understand him wanting to get out on his own and out from under Lucchino's shadow.

The Sox have so much shit to do this offseason. I have to imagine they want to have a new coach and GM in place before the end of the postseason.

Rebuild a rotation, 4-5 position players, a new bullpen and they just have questions about so many players. Ortiz, Wake, Lackey, Papelbon, catcher situation, right field, Bard, Crawford...going to be a long offseason.

Rebuild a rotation, 4-5 position players, a new bullpen and they just have questions about so many players. Ortiz, Wake, Lackey, Papelbon, catcher situation, right field, Bard, Crawford...going to be a long offseason.

Part of the problem is that you can't really question some of those players - Lackey isn't going anywhere with the contract he has, Crawford is the same way. Between those two you are Johnny Damon away from the whole Rays roster in salary, and both are signed for atleast two years beyond next season. If Youk comes back healthy, the only question is about SS and if they bring Igelsias up or give him another year. Outfield - got a couple of replacements for Drew in house, other than that they are kinda locked in to who they have now.

Tek needs to hang up the cleats and become a coach/advisor/something. What will be interesting is how the unique snowflakes in the rotation handle not having him to throw to.

They're definitely locked into Crawford but the situation with Lackey isn't as clear. They could easily eat a large chunk of his salary, as they've done in the past, just to get rid of him.

I'd also like to see them not just piss away money on a big name for RF or 3rd and instead look for some character guys.

I'm also a bit worried about everyone now calling Youk a clubhouse cancer.

They also need to figure out a rotation behind Beckett and Lester. No one is going to want to start the season with Buchholz, Lackey, and a converted Bard filling things out.

St. Louis does have a really scary lineup. It's not just the big three either. This young 3B David Freese looks like a new Scott Rolen (at the plate more so than in the field, but he's not bad there either). We have two young outfielders in Jon Jay and Allen Craig (Craig has played some infield too) who have hit at or around .300 all year. Yadier finished the year hitting .305 with 14 home runs which I believe are both personal bests. We added Furcal at the top of the lineup and he's been hitting high .200's since coming over. Our regular starting lineup features a worst batting average (not counting pitchers) of Scot Schumaker's .283.

I hope they give the Phils a run for their money. I'm just looking forward to some good, close series, seeing as how I don't have a dog in this hunt.

Archived