Parallels between ASOIAF Characters and Historical Figures

mediocre cheese

I'd completely agree with the connection between Thomas Stanley and Walder Frey. They were traitors who were acknowledged as traitors time and time again.

I found a lot of Ned Stark - rather than Tyrion - in Richard York. He just wanted to do the right thing and help out his brother. When he was declared Protector until Edward V came of age, the Queen Regent staged a bit a coup like our darling Cersei and Richard never quite recovered from it. He was a northerner who had Yorkist loyalties and tended to scorn the Londoners who essentially helped bring about his downfall. Both were extremely loyal, especially to their wives and family. Maybe I'm too much of a Ricardian, but I bet Richard III was as likely a "traitor" as Ned Stark was. But people remember him as that.

Joffrey Baratheon is about as self-entitled as Margaret d'Anjou's son, Edouard, was.

I've always loved the comparisons between Renly/Loras and Achilles/Patroclus sweet and fitting. Especially when Loras and Patroclus don their late lovers' armor.

History has many Princes who died before becoming the Kings they promised to be. And left behind a legend that overshadowed the subsequent generation like Baelor Breakspear did in Westeros. But I think he’s most like The Black Prince. Especially because the cracks that developed in the Royal Dynasty in both cases had consequences for many decades after.

• 4 months later...

Late to the party - sorry!

I keep thinking of Davos as Odysseus.. He's been away from his wife for war for shit knows how long, he lost his ship, PLUS he is on his way to an island of cannibals.

agreed. and Robb Stark as Julius Caesar,betrayed by his own and murdered by one of his most powerful friends/bannerman

• 8 months later...

Just thought of a new take after reading ADwD again:

Ramsay Snow/Roose Bolton equal Shakespeare's version of Richard III (Princes in the Tower---Bran + Rickon). Wyman Manderly equals Lord Stanley (Plotting against their supposed ally). Stannis Baratheon equals Henry VII. And Winterfell is Bosworth Field.

As Ricardian, I abhor comparing the most maligned king in history to a psychopath like Ramsay Snow, but as a Stannatic I would like to think of my king winning ;)

Stannis has always reminded me of Philip the Fair (Philip IV of France). Philip was nicknamed "le roi de fer" (the iron king) because of his inflexible personality; he was severe, unemotional and puritanical. He preferred to rely on advisors of rather humble birth (e.g. Guillaume de Nogaret) than on the French aristocracy. He was also responsible for burning some people (the Templars).

• 3 months later...

I agree with the war of the roses comparisons. I don't think it's a direct allegory but I think the broad narrative of it matches a lot of the things that happen in the book. It is a parallel version of the war with some changes and other historical periods/events mixed in.

With that comparison in mind, I originally saw Dany as a kind of Margaret Beaufort when she was pregnant with Rhaego. Just as Beaufort was in hiding in a faraway place, so war Dany and both womens' marriages gave them an army. I thought she was going to be her son's number one advocate for the throne just as beaufort was. Also, whilst the houses of Lancaster/Lancaster and York/Stark were fighting, both were plotting and neither were really thought of as a threat. This was until Rhaego died, in which case, Daenerys could probably fulfill Henry VII's place as opposed to Beaufort's.

I think this is particularly interesting for contemplating the future of the series. Henry VII married Elizabeth of York to enhance his claim and support. This could be paralleled with Dany marrying young griff to enhance her claim. It could also be the case that young griff is a pretender and isn't really who he says he is, which would parallel perkin warbeck's claim of being Edward IV's son. If Dany came to the throne first, she could do a Henry vii and have Aegon assassinated.

Of course I know that the series won't directly correlate to real history but it could turn out something like this.

On another note, I saw Viserys/Dany as a kind of bonnie prince charlie. The rightful king of Britain disinherited when his grandfather was deposed. He was also called 'The King across the Water' while Viserys was called 'The King Across the Narrow Sea'.

As Ricardian, I abhor comparing the most maligned king in history to a psychopath like Ramsay Snow, but as a Stannatic I would like to think of my king winning ;)

I'd say Richard III was most like Stannis, he is the brother of the victor of the trident (towton), before Robert's (Edward IV) death he was faithful to the crown, after allegations that Edward and his sons were illegitimate he claims the throne, Stannis obviously does this after the rumours of Joffrey's parentage emerge (albeit unsuccessfully atm...)

Therefore we could see Stannis on the throne for a short period, but this would mean that a House of Tudor is lurking somewhere and could take the throne in a Bosworth like manor (major parties not arriving in time for the crown/key groups choosing their side midway through a battle)

Just a theory...

• 2 weeks later...

I go along with Tyrion and Sansa being Richard III (not necessarily Shakespeare's Richard III) and Anne Neville. Perhaps the more kind accounts of Richard, a decent man who rules well stuck in a time of great upheaval doing the best he can only to have his enemies Machiavellian accounts of him take root and become truth.

Will be very interesting if Tyrion has the chance to name Tommen to the throne and himself as Regent, good chance he could instead declare Tommen illegitimate and take the throne himself.

Lyanna's story reminds me of the story of my namesake, Nest Ferch Rhys, the 11th century princess of Wales; she was supposedly (the details are fuzzy) so beautiful that Prince Owain of Powys became obsessed with her and abducted her, breaking a truce between her family and his. Some believed that she loved Owain and the abduction was planned by both of them, it has also been claimed that she secretly bore his children.

There's also parallels between Richard III and Viserys II (and Tyrion and Viserys II). The conversation between Tyrion and Oberyn over the field of ash (where Oberyn is trolling Tyrion) closely resembles the debate about how accurate Richard III and his short reign were portrayed after his time.

ASOIAF is based on the War of the Roses so:

Robert - Edward IV

Aerys - Henry VI

Stannis and Tyrion - Richard III

Cersei - Margaret of Anjou/Elizabeth Woodville

Renly - Duke of Clarence

Littlefinger - Thomas Seymour

Lysa - Juana the Mad

Melisandre - Mary I/Rasputin

Tommen - Edward VI

Bran and Rickon - The Princes in the Tower

Dany or Aegon - Henry VII

Sansa - Elizabeth I

Sansa - Elizabeth I

I see the comparison sometimes, but what have Elizabeth and Sansa in common except for red hair, and lately some reluctance towards marriage? Is there anything else what point that way what I've been overlooking all this time? (Barring, of course, some - wild, if you ask me - speculation that Sansa will suddenly transform into political mastermind and manipulate everybody and order them around.)From what I've read Sansa appears to share more with Elizabeth of York (except for the claim to the throne, of course, which applies to her and Elizabeth I as well; unless you mean that the kingdom would split and she would rule to the North only).

I see the comparison sometimes, but what have Elizabeth and Sansa in common except for red hair, and lately some reluctance towards marriage? Is there anything else what point that way what I've been overlooking all this time? (Barring, of course, some - wild, if you ask me - speculation that Sansa will suddenly transform into political mastermind and manipulate everybody and order them around.)

Brief points because I can't be bothered :P :

* both were branded the "traitor's daughter"

* had to survive in a ruthless court with no allies

* seen as the weak link from their siblings

* underestimated and manipulated by power hungry adults

* viewed as weak and passive because that's how they survived

* very cautious

* must be noted that they both used courtesy as their armour; Elizabeth sucked up to Mary badly

If Elizabeth was a fictional character she'd be Sansa and no one would like because she's so damn passive.

From what I've read Sansa appears to share more with Elizabeth of York (except for the claim to the throne, of course, which applies to her and Elizabeth I as well; unless you mean that the kingdom would split and she would rule to the North only).

How's she like Elizabeth of York?

Although Robert seems like the obvious Henry the Eighth comparison, I was reading about his succession and he sounds really like Rhaegar. Very popular and awaited successor of an unpopular king, played the lute (was it the harp for Rhagar?), handsome but headstrong. I feel maybe Rhagar would have been a more controversial king than many realise.

There's definitely a Margery\Anne Boleyn comparison, though Anne was never popular. In the show she seems more like Princess Diana.

Archived