Can Arya and Sansa be reconciled?

Sand Snake No. 9

oh all the families i want happy endings to go to its the starks, Targaryens and martells they had it really bad in the series. I don't see them holding any grudges with each other i see they happy each was alive since both of them thought they were the last starks alive. Its just i wonder if they will recognize each other (well maybe a theon and asha moment happens when one recognizes the other and tests if they recognize them), but i see tears in both their eyes. I honestly feel that they and rickon and jon will be the starks to meet again, since i see bran not leaving the far north, but he may warg to say good bye. I mean come on their wolves are gonna reunite i see them doing the shame go starks

It all depends on how they meet each other again. And if Arya finds out about Sansa's betrayal of their father. That is one big "IF". Arya come next book will be a trained, disciplined, cold blooded killer, and maybe be even a skin changer worthy of her own motion picture. Sansa is still barely more then a ditzy air head who has flowered, and is being completely carried by Littlefinger.

It all depends on how they meet each other again. And if Arya finds out about Sansa's betrayal of their father. That is one big "IF". Arya come next book will be a trained, disciplined, cold blooded killer, and maybe be even a skin changer worthy of her own motion picture. Sansa is still barely more then a ditzy air head who has flowered, and is being completely carried by Littlefinger.

Are you so sure about that? She's able to lie to him and he doesnt know it, lies and Arbor gold. She is also able to see through his schemes quite well.

Beyond that, she was very good at her studies while back at WF. She is running the household at the Eryie by herself. Sansa is also very good at reading people and figuring out their motivations and how to handle that. Tyrion even reflects on that during the Purple Wedding. She also watches LF meeting with the Lords Declararant and figures out exactly what each of them want and correctly reads their faces. Beyond that, LF, who many believe to be one of the smartest people in all of Westeros, thinks she is very intelligent and worthy of his time teaching her.

Sansa is very much not a ditzy air head.

No. Sansa is partly respon sible for Neds death.

No, Ned's fate wAas sealed when he confronted Cersei. At this point, Cersei put her plan to kill Robert in to action. Ned was twice offered help, by Renly and LF, to move before Cersei could. Ned refused both times. He never spoke to Robert about what he knew. Ned later trusted LF with the gold cloaks despite the fact that LF even said not to trust him. Sansa, who had absolutely no knowledge that any of this was happening, spoke to Cersei about staying in KL. If you follow the timeline of events closely, its becomes apparent that Sansa's information did not change anything. The only thing it did was alert Cersei to when her and Arya were going to leave KL.

Cersei claims that Sansa betrayed her father to Tyrion during Clash. But, just because she says this, does not make it true.

I think their "rivalry" is blown way out of proportion. They have a lot of common ground. It's not like they are the Cleganes.

It really is. In all honesty, it reads like normal sibling rivalry to me. As you say, neither of them is even close to a Gregor. And you know how much I love my dog.....

No matter what, no matter how much they are different, no matter how much time they were separated or where their paths have led them, deep down, in their hearts they love each other. And, I can say it is going to be difficult and painful reunion, and maybe they won`t be ever so close, but blood is blood...

To be honest, it's difficult to guess when Arya's character development in the next two books could go oh so many ways, but I don't think a certain amount of outrage on Arya's part would be out of order if she and Sansa are the only survivors. In Arya's eyes I don't think it would be unfair to see Sansa as the least of the Starks, that she survived where Robb, Jon, and perhaps even Bran died fighting for their ideals or family...

Rick can be let off the hook on account of age, but Sansa is older than Bran who seems to be on track to becoming a powerful magic wielder at a minimum.

• 1 month later...

I have a theory that littlefinger wants to assemble his own (stark) family. With only Sansa & Arya left, he has Sansa who he treats like he would catelyn, I think he is going to discover where Arya is and what she is, and will seek out the faceless men, hire Arya for an assassination that she can't complete.....to assassinate the stranger, or death, or to assassinate himself at a certain age (100) and she will have to remain until the task is completed.

I hardly think they will still be holding grudges after all they have been through. Simply put, at the beginning of the story they were both selfish little kids who squabbled over everything. Just like most kids do.

Now? They have both been through so much, seen so much and survived so much that those arguments are going to seem petty and stupid, hardly worth remembering. They didn't understand what Ned was trying to say when he was talking to them about family, but I think they will understand now. When they remember each other in later books, there seems to be no resentment or anger - only sadness because each thinks she is the last Stark or is totally alone without family.

Personal experience (my brother and I had knock-down-drag-out fights as kids, we get along great now as adults) tells me they will be fine should they ever meet up again.

This is the condensed story of how Arya and Sansa reunite.

Arya – Chapter One

Arya pulled on her fishing pole and felt what she believed to be her dinner bending the pole. Quickly she brought her catch to shore only to discover an old boot covered in algae. In disgust, she poured out the boot and before she could toss it back in the lake she saw the ring. “I wonder who left this ring with a three-headed dragon on it in a boot in this lake”, she said to herself. Then she remembered that water dancers were better with inner monologue than soliloquy.

Dany – Chapter Two

Dany broke her fast that morning on olives pitted and stuffed with deviled dog meat, orangutans, and breakfast cereals. She could see the Sun rising in the east and felt a twinge of pain as she remembered that in no uncertain terms could she ever get knocked up again until the planet’s poles did a switchermaroo and the Sun rose in the west. (hey it could happen, FU!) She yawned and stretched then changed into a tokkar. Then she padded down the stairs attended by her strangely silent servants. Entering the great hall she noticed a full house waiting to plead their cases before her and hear her justice. “Ser Selmy, who is first today?”, she asked in a flat monotone voice. “Your Grace, did you read that prophecy or hear it?”, he asked. “Umm what?”, she replied looking confused and a bit annoyed that her own question was answered by a question. “You were just thinking about the Sun rising in the west. I was wondering if it was a spoken prophecy then the word ‘son’ would sound like the word ‘sun’ and maybe it is NewEgg gaining ground in Westeros that fulfills the prophecy nicely.”, he said with a confident look on his face as if he’d just solve the R+L=J debate. She blinked then in the most condescending manner possible she said, “first, when I ask a question you answer it. I am your Queen, ya know? And second, the words ‘sun’ and ‘son’ sound alike in English not the common tongue of Westeros and its neighbors nor in high valerian, nor in Italian, nor in Catalan, nor in Spanish or any of the ten zillion languages that SoIaF has been translated into. Now, tell me, brave Ser Knight, who is first today?” She turned before he could answer and plopped down onto her thrown and glanced briefly at the empty throne next to her where he dead husband the former King would have sat had he not died suddenly of the strong gripes. “Your Grace, I saw you looking at the empty throne there. It was a shame the King died suddenly.”, he said. “The King’s death was necessary to move the plot along. But now I warn you: Think before you speak. Listen to my question. Answer my question! Who is first today?!”, she spoke slowly and over enunciated each syllable in the manner one might use to speak to a special needs child or a Welshman six hours into a Manchester United game. “Your Grace, up first we have Brown Ben Plum of the Second Sons who has so recently turned cloak again to your side and has come to pay homage, bend the knee, and make a gift of some sort.”, he finally answered. “Excellent, I do love presents!”, she beamed.

Plum stepped to the mark made a leg then took a knee saying, “My Queen, I’m sorry I left your service and joined the bad guys for a while and to make up for my many faults I humbly offer this gift of these two droids, er um dwarves”. Dany looked the dwarfs up and down and frowned. She had hoped for something or someone useful. She pouted her lips and when she spoke she said, “Plum, you honor us with these gifts but I must point out that one of your dwarves is damaged. In fact he is missing a nose.” Standing Plum replied, “Your Grace is most observant. I do think you will, however, find him useful.” She pondered then asked, “How does he smell?” Plum smiled and lit up because he could finally use the punch line that has been on his lips for days, “He smells like whore spit, hot sex, and sour wine, if it please your grace.” The hall burst into laughter and Dany joined in too once Ser Selmy explained the joke to her.

Tyrion Lannister stood and stepped closer to the Queen passing the mark so as to speak confidentially with the Queen but Stong Belwas picked him up by the collar of his tunic and held him there legs dangling. Dany interposed saying, “Strong Belwas, I am only a little girl and not familiar with dwarves but I think I can defend myself from any mischief that this one could cause. You may place him down now or after I insist that you do and ask you three times and remind you that I am your Queen.” Belwas was not convinced. In point of fact she had to remind him twice who was Queen and even had to place a reassuring hand on his shoulder before the giant released the dwarf to fall to the floor and sprawl out. Disgusted, Dany asked, “Dwarf, how could you possibly be useful to me?” Tyrion stood and rubbed the scar at the stub of his remaining nose and said, “I’ve already been of use to you. I sent your late husband a gift of boot-shrooms and my appearance in your POV serves as a way to draw a break between your breaking of your fast and your sending for nibbles as you hold court. In a few minutes I will explain to you how pointless the great fortress of the Eyrie is to anyone without dragons but is most excellent for someone who has them.” Dany patted the floor at her feet and motioned for Tyrion to join her. Then she turned to a serving girl and said, “I’ll have some nibbles now and we can eat olives while the dwarf tells me all about how we’re going to get from here to Westeros and stay in the most defensible and pointless fortress in the world.”

R’hllas – Chapter Three

R’hllas stood atop the great wall of the island fortress of the Shadow Atoll gazing out across the deep bluegreen waters of the Jade Sea. “Iaha, come tell me what you learned from your tutor today.”, he said. “Father, we reviewed the linages and customs of the great houses of Asshai.” Iaha was almost old enough to count 14 name days and was very serious for one so young. R’hllas pointed across the water and said, “Look son, soon the night fires of Asshai will be lit in the north and I want you to name the towers and families of each fire as they become clear in the night.”, R’hllas said. Iaha cleared his throat and squinted his eyes as he tried to remember all his tutor had told him about the mystical city beyond the waves.

“No no no no no a thousand times no!”, Dany said in a most perturbed voice.

“W-w-wwwhat?”, GRRM asked astonished.

“George no! you’re not going to introduce another city another culture another group of families and their customs and their foods and the little intrigues of their politics. I won’t have it!!!”, Dany said insistently.

“Dany, I am the author of your fate. Remember in ASoIaF anyone can die at any time!”, GRRM said.

“True but I am your QUEEEEEEEN. You are on what now, your sixth book of this trilogy and that’s not counting the prequel with Dunk and Egg that will be combined and added to then sold as a separate volume. It is far far too late in the telling of this tale to introduce new characters.”, Dany proclaimed.

“But my readers have come to enjoy the full emersion into the world of Ice and Fire. They get me you never did. That’s why I gave you small tits.”, GRRM argued.

“I am just a small girl with small tits and don’t know about writing an epic novel spread across two decades and seven volumes but I am your Queen and I command you to move the plot along. Look at this thread! Look at the title of this post! This is the story of how Arya and Sansa are reunited. You gave us a little blurb of Arya and then a whole long bit about me, thank you. But you can’t expect us to think that south of Asshai across the Jade Sea in the walled Atol fortress that the story of Arya and Sansa will conclude.”, Dany sighed.

“Dany, life happens all over the place all at once and it never truly begins or ends. If you’re expecting a clean neat tale of a man who meets a woman and at first they don’t get along then they fall in love, overcome adversity then live happily ever after then you’re in the wrong book.”, GRRM said.

“George I love ASoIaF. I only joke about repeated phrases and such. But I am serious that you need to focus! Especially here this is a moderated forum! Just answer the guys question about Arya and Sansa reunited. OK?”, Dany smiled and winked putting all her charm into her request.

“Oh as to that well, Arya and Sansa are never going ‘home’ again. That place existed in the past and was unique and it is gone. They meet they swap stories. They remind each other of just how wrong they were about a great many things. Then they reach an understanding and move on with their lives.”, GRRM said.

“But that’s not a very interesting way to tell a story, George.”, Dany pouted.

“Well then let me tell it my way. And pray that my D&D dice don’t roll low numbers on your next death roll or you're done”

The End?

No. Sansa is partly respon sible for Neds death.

Wrong, Joffrey is solely responsible for that execution.

As to Sansa and Arya I remember that they have thought about each other in a positive manner several times through the nobles and sibling love is a strong thing. There's no reason to think they will have anything negative to think or say to each other when they are united again. For all the world I can't possibly see them going against each other for real.

I don't see the big problem, Arya and Sansa would probably be overjoyed to see each other again. They might have bickered a lot in the past, but many siblings do that. Mycah's death was very serious and drove them apart, but years have passed and so many horrible things happened in the meantime...I don't think Mycah will stand between them.

As for Ned: Sansa is not responsible for his death. Ned went to Cersei and told her exactly what he was about to do - if that is not a death sentence right there, I don't know what is. Granted, Arya could see it differently. But I don't think she will ever harm Sansa in any way ("don't stab your sister with Needle").

No. Never! They'll die at each others' throats.

I can only hope – I will die of boredom if they have some happy Hallmark all-is-forgiven-and-forgotten reunion. Those endings negate all the suffering and conflict that made the damn story interesting in the first place. I want to see a girl fight, preferably with blood.

And good lord, talk about fan whitewashing with blinkers on.

According to many active posters, Sansa is She without Fault or Blemish, Our Lady of the Vajayjay. She need not fight or do her sums or engage in any activity that would wrinke her brow or stain her satin slippers. Nay, Sansa will triumph over all just because she's so damn good at being a girl. And when Saint Sansa is finally pierced by the arrow shot by her chosen beloved, rainbows will shoot out of her lady-wound,* she will be hailed as Queen of the World and the Long Summer will descend upon Westeros at last.

It seems to me that certain readers' idealization of Sansa as the perfect Lady Whose Womanhood is the Only True Womanhood (Cursed Be All Those Who Disagree For They Be Misogynist!) is exactly what Arya hated about Sansa in AGOT. There is little to indicate that Arya is more tolerant of girly-girl worship by the end of ADWD, or that Sansa wants a leather-clad hoyden for a sister, rather than, say, the girl who leads mules down the mountain, by the end of AFFC.

If GRRM writes his characters consistently, and should he somehow have a brain fart and indeed make Sansa Queen of the World, I can imagine a scene with her sitting on her tufted throne, looking down with ladylike disdain at her leather-clad sister and gently chiding Arya for appearing in The Presence uncombed. For surely it is known that no rainbows will shine from the lady parts (wherein all true power resides) of a woman with a lifetime of bad hair days. And if my fondest wish comes true, Arya will say, "No wonder you couldn't hold onto your wolf, you stupid ****," give her the Westeros equivalent of the finger and storm out of the throne room, killing a few guards on the way out just to show Sansa what she thinks of her decorating. Then Arya will hop onto Asha's ship and they will sail away to have girl adventures targeted for a niche audience tomboy fans, and said fans will never have to read about her stupid sister again.

*For all y'all wanting a scene of Sansa's sexual awakening, would you please remember that that GRRM will be writing it? Although, perhaps in Sansa's case he'll bypass the Northern swamp and go straight to the perfumed garden. Right.

I believe that if they meet again, big sis' involvment in their father's capture and death is going to come up at some point, and someone is going to add a new name to her list, right between dunser and raff the sweetling.

Yeah. Mycah and Lady are one thing - the death of their father is quite another.

Sure they're sisters, and Sansa would be genuinely sorry for her naive mistakes, and Arya may fully see that.

But then again, Michael Corleone once warned his brother Fredo against ever taking sides against the family again, too.

Archived