Comic of ASOIAF

vmstat

I'm just collecting the Mike S. Miller covers. They had that one on hold for me. And I picked up another basic Ross cover for reading. I really wanted the "virgin" Miller cover. But the shop wasn't shipped any.

Ive been quite disappointed in the interior artist, Tommy Patterson. And the writer that adapted the story spent to much time in issue one on the prologue, which meant the beheading scene and direwolf finding scenes were cut and crammed into one or two pages, and spent more time on Dany. I felt the writer boiled down the direwolf and beheading scene down to just to much. Leaving little way to introduce the Starks. As that chapter really told a lot about the Starks. But I guess we'll get some more about them in the next two issues. Tommy Pattersons rendition of Winterfell was really really bland and not in that bleak wintery northern westeros way, just lacked any detail.

Ive seen the next few covers from Mike and I tell you they look gorgeous. I'm almost completely sure the only reason issue #1 sold out was because of hype. Now that everyone seen the inside and the adaptation sales will slow down.

There are NINE variant covers so far for #1:

Six you can see in this auction:

Link

A Dynamic Forces "Black & White" cover:

Link

A New York Comic Con exclusive cover which will be out at the con in a few weeks. It's pictured in the back of the first issue.

And a second printing variant cover is coming:

Link

Ive been quite disappointed in the interior artist, Tommy Patterson. And the writer that adapted the story spent to much time in issue one on the prologue, which meant the beheading scene and direwolf finding scenes were cut and crammed into one or two pages, and spent more time on Dany.

Yup. I read Daniel Abraham's adaptation of Fevre Dream and found the pacing extremely awkward.

And Patterson's art is just too generic - in the books, every character feels unique, no matter how minor. But with Patterson they all look like Cloned Fantasy Californians.

Don't think I'll bother with #2, to be honest.

There are NINE variant covers so far for #1:

Ouch! They are making money, aren't they?

I've purchased 3, but won't be collecting them, sounds like a joke to me, and most are not new art at all.

Thank you for the replies.

recent interview of Tommy and Daniel on making the comics:

http://www.tfaw.com/blog/2011/10/03/daniel-abraham-tommy-patterson-take-us-into-a-game-of-thrones/#comments

Here's the part that really had me just *facepalm*

TFAW.com: Tommy, you’ve done a lot of cool fantasy and science-fiction work in the past, like BOOM!’s Farscape comics and Grimm Fairy Tales for Zenescope. Did you ever think you’d be drawing A Game of Thrones?

Tommy Patterson: To be honest I wasn’t aware of the series until I was trying out for the job. It took about a week of research to realize how huge this thing really is.

**Note**Tommy has a incredibly hard time drawing emotion in characters faces. All of them have practically emotionless faces. Costuming is very bland...

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to get all the versions of #1, but after that I'm only getting the regular covers (and the eventual HC collections). Dynamite just does too many variants.

Yeh, I've got all the #1's, and pre-ordered the 4 variants of #2.

Guess I'll try to get all of them until I can't afford it any longer.

The first collection will be published in March 27th by Bantam.

You’ve read the books. You’ve watched the hit series on HBO. Now acclaimed novelist Daniel Abraham and illustrator Tommy Patterson bring George R. R. Martin’s epic fantasy masterwork A Game of Thrones to majestic new life in the pages of this full-color graphic novel. Comprised of the initial six issues of the graphic series, this is the first volume in what is sure to be one of the most coveted collaborations of the year.

Key Selling Points:

SECOND SEASON ON HBO: HBO’s Game of Thrones premiered on April 17, 2011, and has drawn 8.7 million viewers. This graphic novel will further expand the A Song of Ice and Fire series into a new medium. The second season of Game of Thrones will begin in Spring 2012, with Season One releasing on DVD a month before.

COMPILES THE FIRST SIX ISSUES OF THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED GOT COMICS: Renowned comics publisher, Dynamite, will be publishing 24 total Game of Thrones comics. Comic volume 1 was published on 9/21/11. Volumes 2- 6 will follow at one month intervals, and will be compiled in this Bantam hardcover graphic novel edition.

MORE TO COME: 3 more Bantam graphic novel compilations complete the story, each collecting 6 comic volumes, publishing at 6-month intervals.

CONTAINS ORIGINAL BONUS MATERIAL: Each hardcover compilation will have unique content from George R.R. Martin, in addition to a making-of section.

TARGETED AUDIENCE: For both collectors and readers new to the series—especially for comic book fans and those drawn in from watching the show.

HE’S #1: Martin has entered the exclusive ranks of #1 bestselling authors—a standout achievement for any author. And A Dance with Dragons still tops the charts.

SUCCESS OF THE NOVEL: To date, A Game of Thrones alone has almost 4 million copies in print, and over half a million in e-book sales. There are almost 12.5 million copies of A Song of Ice and Fire series in print, and close to 2 million in e-book sales.

A WINNING TEAM: The novels are being adapted to graphic format by acclaimed fantasy author Daniel Abraham, and gorgeously illustrated by the highly talented Tommy Patterson, with initial covers by Alex Ross.

TEASERS: Samples from the graphic novel already exist in the Game of Thones ebook.

http://edelweiss.abo...&sku=044042321X

• 2 weeks later...

So there's going to be a 2nd print for issue #2... I'm actually kinda surprised by this; I thought #1 may have only sold out because of the hype for the first issue. I'm glad this series is doing so well, it really deserves it.

Does anyone know if the 2nd print of #2 will have the "non-inked" Mike Miller cover? As far as I'm aware it hasn't been available yet, and I've only seen pictures of this cover pop up since the 2nd printing was announced.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived