Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, One Final Moment of Appreciation

ICE CROW

Well, season 1 has come and gone, in fact it's been gone for quite a while now. Season 2 is in production and none us can wait for April. So i thought we would take one final moment, to appreciate The performance of Sean Bean as Eddard Stark.

I just finished yet another run, of the entire first season. No man could have been Ned Stark, but Sean Bean. When you watch his performance, its all in his eyes and facial expressions. When you watch him act a scene its as if we can see whats on his mind. Those of us who have read the books, know that there way several memory flashbacks of Neds, that never made it into the show. There are a few scenes, like when Ned says goodbye to Jon and when he is talking with Robert, on the Kingsroad. Where if you wach the emotion in His eyes and face, its as if we can see him having the very flashbacks that they weren't able to show.

I think it truly was a shame, Sean Bean didn't get an Emmy Nomination. So here is our final Salute to Eddard Stark and Season 1. Here are 2 Videos from youtube in Honour Of Ned/Sean and another for all the Cast.

And heres a an HD screenshot, of what i consider one of the best scene's in the series. The last time we see the Starks together all season.

Starks

Bean did well to bring over the general sense of unease I got from Ned, who seems to have always felt as someone who shouldn't be Lord of Winterfell or the Hand of the King, a guy who still feels second to his brother and father.

Loosing Ned was hard, i had just ordered all the books from Amazon then i accidentally got spoiled by reading about his death online after episode 8. I almost canceled my order for the books, knowing Ned was gone. In the end though, as horrific as it was to lose Ned, without his death the great story that comes after wouldn't have happened without it.

The casting for Season 1 was superb, with so many of those actors now gone for good. The new actors coming up in Season 2, have got some serious shoes to fill. Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Viserys and Jason Mamoa are hard acts to follow. They need to hurry up and release the Blu-rays already.

I really think he should've won an Emmy. He totally got snubbed; Mark Addy as well, but Bean really stood apart from the other actors he shared the screen with. He was, and will forever be Ned Stark from this point forward. No matter if the series is remade over and over for the next hundred years to come; as Sean Connery is to James Bond.

But, looking back

he should've been cast as Beric Dondarrion so he could've been killed 7 or 8 more times. The characters he plays really seem to have a knack for getting killed.

the emmys are very hollywood. and in that scene those who get noms are either industry faves (see how most of the noms were noms last year and year before, etc) or a freak of some sort (no doubt to show that they're all pc and equal opportunity... yada yada yada). that means morbidly obese, deaf, retarded, dwarf, or whatever else is the other of the week.

sean bean is an established actor, but not seemingly in the hollywood establishment. and he's most definitely not sideshow material. so, no emmy for sean. *tear*

Where the emmy's needs to reevaluate and really look back on at how they screwed up this year, is not only how amazing he did portraying his character. But if the emmy's supposedly also tries to factor in Fan love for a character, they really screwed up. He did something no major character in television has ever done, was killed off in the first season. Because of how he portrayed Ned, after his death the world went crazy, all you have to do is look on youtube and see the fan reactions to this truly once in a lifetime moment in television history. Here at Westeros, after Neds death the Wiki had over a million hits, because people needed to know if the character they loved was truly gone. You show me any other actor who was up for an emmy this year, who would have had that kind of out pouring from fans had their character been killed in their first season. Sure after 6 seasons of House, if he got killed people would care alot, but no one woulda have cared if he died in season 1. Sean Bean turned the world upside down in 9 episodes, that takes other actors seasons to accomplish.

The emmys though is a farce, im glad Peter Dinklage won, he deserved it. But Sean Bean was robbed as well as the composer for the show Ramin Djwadi. i haven't heard anything on any other show this year, that more perfectly fit the content of the series, than the score in Game of Thrones.

another thing not in got favour is that the emmy's have traditionally favoured broadcast network shows and, more recently, basic cable programming. got is on hbo, a pay cable network which seems to put it in the tv ghetto so to speak. if dinklage had not been a little nugget he would not have been considered at all. when one thinks of it, there are quality shows on hbo that have been largely snubbed by the emmys for years now, so got won't be any different imo.

I really think he should've won an Emmy. He totally got snubbed; Mark Addy as well, but Bean really stood apart from the other actors he shared the screen with. He was, and will forever be Ned Stark from this point forward. No matter if the series is remade over and over for the next hundred years to come; as Sean Connery is to James Bond.

But, looking back

he should've been cast as Beric Dondarrion so he could've been killed 7 or 8 more times. The characters he plays really seem to have a knack for getting killed.

he's reprising his role from silent hill in the sequel, silent hill:revelations in which his character disappears. shit. the one role where his character survives to another installment. he's like kenny from south park. he dies in every movie.

I think Sean did a fine job, though to me he wasn't one of the standouts. I think it's a problem with me, though, not with him. I've seen him in too much stuff, so he's much more "Sean" than he is "Eddard" - it's hard for me to get past that. Also the writing and therefore the material for his character was... only OK. For others it was amazing (Tyrion, especially).

Anyway, great job Sean!!

He was amazing. Just amazing. Still can't believe he wasn't nominated. She should have been, and should have won too. But what about the Golden Globes? I'm trying to discover whether GoT would be eligible, but I think it should be as it fits the criteria. Maybe fans should start a massive campaign to get him nominated.

I agree with who said the Emmys are too biased. But the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is quite different, IMO.

Golden Globe for Sean Bean!

campaign? i'm not sure how one outside of the studios would do that but i'm in if there is a way.

and i'm hoping that we'll get to see him in flashbacks in the later seasons.

Oh, I have no idea how to go about it, but if fans flood the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (they make the nominations and vote) with e-mails, tweets, etc they might 'listen'. I've been trying not to stalk them, but at least every other day I send them a tweet saying '#GoldenGlobeforSeanBean #GameofThrones', or something like that.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived