Whose death would surprise you the most?

ZacharyB

At this point, no one would surprise me. GRRM has broken my heart 10 times over. I kind of have my own personal Jacquen, I say the name and they die.

At the same time, it's a good change from most of the other series I have read. I am tired of everyone living happily ever after, and authors who afraid to write the book that is their head because it might anger fans.

Not really surprised, but I would be upset if GRRM died before the next book.

Seriously, Sansa. She is the only Stark I'm sure will survive the series.

Yeah, I hope Martin does finish the series before he goes the way of the long shadows.

One of my friends says that he's just reached too high - and can't push it any further - a bit like how the writers of LOST and DEADWOOD got.

In that case I hope he gets some assistance and not end up like George Lucas squirming to finish the draft of Phantom Menace when the movie production of said movie was already in full swing.

I'm actually growing to like Sansa - and thats the good thing about the book - it draws you to the characters. Initially I hated her esp. when she told Cersei - the person who ordered the execution of her precious direwolf - about her father's plans and doomed the fate of House Stark.

Sansa, Arya, Bran, Rickon. I think that they're all super safe. Maybe Arya will die near the end of the last book but she's the only one I have that feeling about of the above four.

For non-Starks I say Daenerys, Tyrion, Arianne, and Asha.

Cersei's death might shock me if it isn't at the hands of Jaime or Tyrion...or another little brother.

Similarly, Littlefinger's could surprise me if it isn't at the hands of a Stark.

Basically, I've started to come around to the camp that says GRRM isn't quite as daring when it comes to character deaths as some people think he is. ASoS shocked the hell out of me I fully admit (I was spoiled for Ned in AGoT) but I'll be suprised (and happy) if he'll get me to feel that level of 'what the hell did I just read?' again.

Tyrion. He gets into loads of bad situations, but his plot armor is the strongest of anyone's considering GRRM likes Tyrion the most (at least its not a thrall Metzen relationship XD)

Dany is also unlikely to be killed since i would say she is one of the three "main" characters and it would be really ridiculous for her to be killed off in anything but the last book and only in a really finale type way.

• 5 weeks later...

The only characters who seems safe to me are:

• Sansa Stark, I won't understand how she could die, as she becomes cleverer through the time and the books, and she has with her the cleverer and wiser man in Westeros: Littlefinger (I hope he won't die either)
  • Jon Snow (and yes, I've read ADWD) and Bran.

I don't think I would be surprised if Dany dies (because I'm bored to death with this character), or even Arya.

If Arya was supposed to die, she would've already, given everything she's been through and the dozens of life-threatening situations she's been in.

I don't know what killing her off would accomplish.

I could see Tyrion finally getting reunited with Tysha and dying immediately afterwards, either killed by Tysha herself or by some yet unknown character.

I'd be surprised if Brienne dies. Same as Arya, if he wanted to kill her, he would've already, but there's plenty unfinished business there and killing her would just mean she's been a completely useless character from the start.

Well nobidies safe but i cant see him killing off that many. Rickon cant die anyway. Thats a definate. Id be surprised if Jaime or Sansa died. Also Tyrion although im not his biggest fan. I can see Arya dieing at the climax of the action

Arya, fer sure, or Bran. The reason? Plot armor actually works. And GRRM wrote these characters since Book 1, and still haven't contributed anything crucial to the plot. Sansa qualifies, too, although she can easily make her contribution early in Book 6, and die soon thereafter. Arya and Bran will get dragged along till Book 7, hopefully to some meaningful resolution. That also gives some plot armor protection to Dany.

The same reasoning doesn't apply to Rickon, since he's always been an extra.

I forgot Brienne :blushing: I would be really surprised if she dies.

Hmm a lot of people think Brienne died when she got hanged and got turned into unBrienne by Thoros. When we list people we think wont die, does that include people who will become unPeople? I mean there is the Jon situation, and I personally think Victarion is going down that road as well.

Hmm a lot of people think Brienne died when she got hanged and got turned into unBrienne by Thoros. When we list people we think wont die, does that include people who will become unPeople?

Brienne is my favourite female character, so I hope she will not die. I would be very surprised by her death

I'd like to talk about ADWD but I still don't know how to do a spoiler :huh:

Archived