Did Cersei murder Melara?

Jamie Lannister

This always intrigued me.

We know that Melara died on the same night as that encounter with Plot Device the Frog, though the details are conspicuously absent. Maggy tells her that her death will be "tonight," and that her death is "near." She asks whether Melara can "feel her breath," even. We know that Melara falls down a well, and Cersei even recalls her wailing in agony.

But as far as I can tell, it's never explicitly said one way or another... so what do you think; did Cersei kill little Melara?

This always intrigued me.

We know that Melara died on the same night as that encounter with Plot Device the Frog, though the details are conspicuously absent. Maggy tells her that her death will be "tonight," and that her death is "near." She asks whether Melara can "feel her breath," even. We know that Melara falls down a well, and Cersei even recalls her wailing in agony.

But as far as I can tell, it's never explicitly said one way or another... so what do you think; did Cersei kill little Melara?

I think it's strongly implied that

Cersei pushed Melara down a well, but I don't think it happened the same night they visited Maggy the Frog. Maggy tells Melara that: "Your death is here tonight, little one. Can you smell her breath? She is very close."

But Cersei herself states that:

"This maegi made certain prophecies. I laughed at them at first, but . . . she foretold the death of one of my bedmaids. At the time she made the prophecy, the girl was one-and-ten, healthy as a little horse and safe within the Rock. Yet she soon fell down a well and drowned." Melara had begged her never to speak of the things they heard that night in the maegi 's tent. If we never talk about it we'll soon forget, and then it will be just a bad dream we had, Melara had said. Bad dreams never come true.

Note that Cersei says that Melara soon fell down a well and drowned. To me, that indicates that it didn't happen that same night, but shortly thereafter. Maggy the Frog was simply saying to Melara that her death was in the room with her. That is, Cersei, who was standing right next to her (Melara).

Cersei thinks, cryptically, that Melara "was not so silent in the well, though. She screamed and shouted." I'm one of those who thinks Cersei pushed her in.

My suspicions too,

or at least she made no move to save her, since she apparently just stood and listened to her screams

though I'm not sure about the exact reason - jealousy about Jaime perhaps? We do know Melara was into him, and it royally pissed Cersei off...

Well, it's certainly implied that she murdered Melara, or at any rate did nothing when she fell into the well, although it is ambiguous. For a motivation, I would imagine that Cersei thought that the prophecy could be averted if there was no one else left to talk about it.

Cersei does actually have quite an impressive list of murders to her credit:-

King Robert, Robert's bastard, Senelle, numerous dwarves, the puppeteers, and Lady Stokeworth, and she is surely responsible for the death of Hamish the Harper.

My suspicions too,

or at least she made no move to save her, since she apparently just stood and listened to her screams

though I'm not sure about the exact reason - jealousy about Jaime perhaps? We do know Melara was into him, and it royally pissed Cersei off...

I thought that's what was being very strongly implied.

Cersei thinks to herself

that Melara had "turned out to be a greedy little schemer with ideas above her station."

There's also her thoughts when thinking about the bedmaids and companions she'd had when she was younger. "None had pleased her, and few lasted very long.Little sneaks, the lot of them. Vapid, weepy creatures, always telling tales and trying to worm their way between me and Jaime."

Interesting. Either the megalomania started earlier than I thought and/or there's a slight timeskip afoot. She'd still be a child though, at that point, surely?

Cersei thinks that she was 10 when she first met Rhaegar at the tourney in Lannisport. This is the same tourney at which she, Melara, and Jeyne went to see Maggy the Frog. Cersei later says that Melara was 11 when she died and that this death occurred "soon" after they'd seen Maggy in her tent.

Interesting. Either the megalomania started earlier than I thought and/or there's a slight timeskip afoot. She'd still be a child though, at that point, surely?

Oh the megalomania started early indeed. She goes to Maggy's tent and wakes her from sleep, demands a fortune, and tells her she will have her father whip Maggy for insolence unless she obeys. She was exactly like Joffrey it seems.

Wouldn't she be helping the prophecy along by doing that (sort of self fulfilled prophecy)? She seemed rather frightened by it, but then again, it's Cersei so it's possible she killed her.

Well, Martin wouldn't be the first author to treat prophecies in this manner. Cersei's own actions in attempting to prevent/forestall this prophecy may have guaranteed that it will come true.

At first I wan't entirely convinced, but in ADWD

During her naked parade, she sees all around Robert, Ned, Lady, Tyrion and Sansa - all the people she hurt. And alongside them there was Melara Heatherspoon. I don't see any reason why GRRM would include Melara along side all the other aforementioned characters unless Cersei actually did kill her.

At first I wan't entirely convinced, but in ADWD

During her naked parade, she sees all around Robert, Ned, Lady, Tyrion and Sansa - all the people she hurt. And alongside them there was Melara Heatherspoon. I don't see any reason why GRRM would include Melara along side all the other aforementioned characters unless Cersei actually did kill her.

Good point. I completely forgot about that.

Cersei does actually have quite an impressive list of murders to her credit:-

King Robert, Robert's bastard, Senelle, numerous dwarves, the puppeteers, and Lady Stokeworth, and she is surely responsible for the death of Hamish the Harper.

Let's add to that list:

Everyone who died in The War of the Five Kings. At the very least, all of Ned's household guards and staff that died in the aftermath of Ned's arrest.

I don't think so, these quotations are taken from Cersei's thoughts, her mind in other words. She was basically recalling the past for herself, why would she try to cover this up in that case? Doesn't make sense to me at all.

That doesn't necessarily mean that she killed her. Melara was the person who died, her prophecy was fulfilled and she was watching (or rather Cersei imagined it) another part of prophecy becoming real. Her being there just reminded Cersei her fear about Maegi.

Archived