Unpopular opinions III

brashcandy

I'll start:

The Hound and Sansa would make a really nice couple

Catelyn and Ned got their children caught up in a shitstorm

Hoster Tully did his daughter Lysa a great injustice

Tyrion Lannister is not that bad a man as I've seen him portrayed on the last thread

Hmmm, maybe these opinions aren't so unpopular....

House Targaryen is the most interesting house. The insanity aspect just makes them more complex. The mentally ill can do terrible things as well as great things. Some of my favorite artists and writers were unstable.

The Starks are also Usurpers. Ned let Jon take the black and didn't support him or Dany and Viserys. He's loyal to House Baratheon.

House Baratheon are Usurpers no matter how you slice it. The only reason this house exists is because of Aegon the Conqueror. The Targaryens made them and should be able to break them. I hope Jon or Dany extinguishes this house.

I don't think that Jaime has been redeemed. He has performed one selfless act in a lifetime of selfish acts; saving Brienne was laudable, but does not pay for his crimes against House Stark - while a guest in Winterfell, he attempted to murder a Stark child and crippled the boy for life.

I don't believe that Jaime's killing of Aerys was done out of a desire to save King's Landing so much as a desire not to be blown up with the rest of King's Landing. In other words, it was self-preservation.

Jaime is an interesting character, but he is more villain than hero.

In the last thread, the possibility was raised that if Tyrion had consummated his marriage to Sansa and sired children on her as Tywin wished, Tywin would have eventually killed Sansa. Much as I despise Tywin, and find his disposition of Sansa odious (remembering how odd he found Tyrion's notion about Sansa's feelings), I don't think Tywin would have been reluctant to have Sansa killed. She would be essential to Lannister control of the North. If Tyrion showed up in Winterfell with Lannister troops and a child he claimed was Ned Stark's grandson, I think there would have been quiet rebellion and deaths and not even a pretext of continuity of rule. If Sansa had come along as Tyrion's wife and the mother of Tyrion's half-Stark son, the bitter pill of Lannister conquest might have gone down smoother; though much would depend on how Tyrion ruled. Sansa's participation in the farce would have been necessary, not just for a year or two, but for many years.

On the other hand, I think that if Sansa had been forced to consummate the marriage and ended up bearing Tyrion's children, she would have been emotionally devastated. To have children who carried the blood of the people who killed her father and orchestrated the deaths of her mother and brother would have been horrifying; especially if Sansa felt love for those children. I don't think she would have gone mad, but she could have become an alcoholic or severely depressed (as she was for two days following her father's execution)....

I'll start:

The Hound and Sansa would make a really nice couple

Catelyn and Ned got their children caught up in a shitstorm

Hoster Tully did his daughter Lysa a great injustice

Tyrion Lannister is not that bad a man as I've seen him portrayed on the last thread

Hmmm, maybe these opinions aren't so unpopular....

Yeah, I don't really think any of these are unpopular. There are a lot of Sansa/Sandor shippers. Plenty of people think Ned and Catelyn contributed greatly to the downfall of House Stark. I've never read a post in which anyone thinks Hoster Tully did right by Lysa. And Tyrion remains one of the most popular characters.

The Targaryens are like the neighbours that everyone loves to hate:

They live in the biggest house on the hill, they have the flashiest rides (dragons, natch), and the prettiest hair. Everyone gossips about them mercilessly (incest! burnings!), but they don't give a shit. Everyone hates them, but secretly want to be them.

Yeah, the Targs rock. :)

I don't think any of my strongly held opinions about ASOIAF can fairly be considered unpopular.

Or, alternatively: I'll just throw this out there not knowing if it's a view others generally share vel non. Who knows, maybe it's been the consensus view all along and I just didn't realize.

Potentially Unpopular View: Khal Drogo is an asshole, and I'm glad he died so pitifully. Indeed what the entire Dothraki culture needs is a sound thrashing. I wish somebody would come along and just destroy - just totally wreck - a bunch of khalasars. Maybe the Lhazareen could finally say enough is enough and reduce Vaes Dothrak to cinders.

The Ironborn have earned this as well. All that clap trap about reavers and thralls etc. needs to be utterly crushed.

Unpopular opinions? Let's see...

I find the Sansa/Sandor ship disturbing.

I like Roose Bolton (I don't know if it's really unpopular, tho).

I think the supposed "great love" between Dany and Drogo is a pile of bullshit.

The Starks are also Usurpers. Ned let Jon take the black and didn't support him or Dany and Viserys. He's loyal to House Baratheon.

House Baratheon are Usurpers no matter how you slice it. The only reason this house exists is because of Aegon the Conqueror. The Targaryens made them and should be able to break them. I hope Jon or Dany extinguishes this house.

Yeah, Ned and Robert should definitely have let Aerys kill them for no reason other than his own madness. Dishonorable assholes.

House Targaryen is the most interesting house. The insanity aspect just makes them more complex. The mentally ill can do terrible things as well as great things. Some of my favorite artists and writers were unstable.

It's one thing for a mentally ill person to be an artist or a writer, but it's something else entirely for them to be absolute monarchs of an entire kingdom. Not only is it a bad idea, it's unsustainable.

I think this is a somewhat unpopular view, but also hard to support unless it comes out of a belief that the Targs have some kind of divine right to rule Westeros for all time, no matter what crimes they commit against their people.

I don't think that Jaime has been redeemed. He has performed one selfless act in a lifetime of selfish acts; saving Brienne was laudable, but does not pay for his crimes against House Stark - while a guest in Winterfell, he attempted to murder a Stark child and crippled the boy for life.

I don't believe that Jaime's killing of Aerys was done out of a desire to save King's Landing so much as a desire not to be blown up with the rest of King's Landing. In other words, it was self-preservation.

Jaime is an interesting character, but he is more villain than hero.

:bowdown:

Thanks for bringing sanity back to the ASOIAF fandom, Raksha. I've been saying this forever.

The man was the original Walder Frey - violates the guest right by trying to kill a kid.

As for loving his sister - please please gimme a break. It was sexual obsession - plain and simple. If he loved her his ass would have been back in KL to help her.

He's also a neglectful father - at least Robert's bastards have a memory of him.

And umm, anyone who's not suicidal would have tried to stop Aerys - even Barristan Selmy

It's one thing for a mentally ill person to be an artist or a writer, but it's something else entirely for them to be absolute monarchs of an entire kingdom. Not only is it a bad idea, it's unsustainable.

Tell that to the Hapsburgs. :lmao:

Is it unpopular to see Sandor/Sansa as canon....but ultimately a mangled and problematic relationship that is more tragic than sexy/happy/romantic.( I see the attraction between 'em, but even as they grow I still can't see their relationship working well. Of course, it is a relationship between a disfigured and mentally scarred warrior who has grown so reliant on hatred and so dissillusioned with the world that he laughs after cutting kids in half, and a young girl who has grown up in a mangle of mistrust, abuse, more abuse, sexual attacks, extreme fear, violence, guilt, and extreme power dynamics....). Is this unpopular? (I mostly see their relationship either glorified or stated as nonexistent).

I think this is a somewhat unpopular view, but also hard to support unless it comes out of a belief that the Targs have some kind of divine right to rule Westeros for all time, no matter what crimes they commit against their people.

There are different degrees of mental instability. It doesn't affect everyone the same. I don't consider Dany or Rhaegar to be completely sane. Modeling your life around a prophecy seems unstable yet it was said that he would have made a great king.

There are different degrees of mental instability. It doesn't affect everyone the same. I don't consider Dany or Rhaegar to be completely sane. Modeling your life around a prophecy seems unstable yet it was said that he would have made a great king.

of course, it's easy to praise a dead man, but, as you pointed out, Rhaegar seems more like something in between his two descriptions. He is well-meaning, competent, and kind, but also extremely unstable ("so now I'll just base my life on a prophecy, and start kidnapping to better make secure humanity by trying to engineer perfect children based on vague poetic lines to fight some vague possible menace...why are you guys looking at me so strange?")

of course, it's easy to praise a dead man, but, as you pointed out, Rhaegar seems more like something in between his two descriptions. He is well-meaning, competent, and kind, but also extremely unstable ("so now I'll just base my life on a prophecy, and start kidnapping to better make secure humanity by trying to engineer perfect children based on vague poetic lines to fight some vague possible menace...why are you guys looking at me so strange?")

I wouldn't say extreme. Maybe bipolar but I don't have a degree to be diagnosing anybody. He could still function but at times he made rash decisions. Many characters in the series have done that as well.

Archived