Season 2 Budget and VFX

hamiltox

So, we know that season 1 was a hit (thanks god), and now HBO is more confident in the success of Game of Thrones.

Having this in mind, I want to know if you guys think HBO is considering spend more money in season 2 ( looks like season 1 was 45 milion budget) and if the production should spend more in the VFX area, like 3d castles and armies (dothraki twelve guys khalasar, I am looking at you)

Thanks for any reply...

Season One definitely suffered from a real lack of Direwolves, which is understandable yet still disappointing.

One of the things I'm looking forward to most is a more visible role for the Stark Wolves. I remember reading some news awhile back, somewhere on these forums, that HBO already hired someone else to do the CGI for Season Two, someone with the resources to handle complicated Dire Wolf and Dragon stuff, which was something the smaller group couldn't do.

So I think we'll definitely be seeing some more money spent in that area.

They've definitely got a bigger budget for season two. I heard a few rumours while working as an extra but duno if I can say anything or not but it's definitely more than 45 million. Can't wait to see the backwater episode! (the one I'm in) It's gona be class!

So it's not going to be a Tyrion get knocked on his head and wakes up after the battle?

I guess they can create the direwolfs with the technology that Peter Jackson used to change the hobbits size. Like, using the dogs in real set, but altering their size on pos-production. It's cheap and look great on screen.

On the battle topic, I think it would be awesome if they could create a battle much or less like Rome's Philippe, on season 2 episode 6. It lasted twelve minutes, but those were twleve good minutes!

Ser Crickard, I wonder myself if you can spare with us simply mortal beings some extras and crew rumors :D Well, at least the budget rumor!

Thanks for any reply.

I guess they can create the direwolfs with the technology that Peter Jackson used to change the hobbits size. Like, using the dogs in real set, but altering their size on pos-production. It's cheap and look great on screen.

What's interesting about LotR is that there's like only half a dozen shots in the entire trilogy that require CGI to alter the hobbits' sizes. The rest of the time it's all false perspective or scale doubles with wigs. Erm, which wouldn't really work with the direwolves.

I haven't personally heard, about the budget getting raised for Season 2. But if Season 2 is like Season 1, then it should get renewed for a third season following it's first episode. And lets face it, theres a hell of alot more hype around Season 2 now, then there was around Season1. Because of the worldwide phenomenon, the series has become.

I just hope the budget is large enough, to truly capture the great moments of the second book, the way they deserve to be captured. And that Season 3 gets a big budget boost, with everything that happens in ASOS, its gonna cost some serious coin to do it right.

The Hobbit-scale in LOTR was mostly done using very simple, tried-and-true camera techniques (forced perspective, simple green screens, scale doubles, background-foreground shots) that are easy to implement with people but would be next to impossible with animal actors, especially considering the dogs were not the easiest to work with even by animal standards. They're gonna have to use a lot of CGI, which could mean less direwolf awesomeness than we would like. I personally would prefer it that way, I came to terms with the lack of tons of direwolf shots by mid-season 1 and didn't even really miss them all that much. I'd rather them put more effort into the dragons, the battles, and the sets (1 and 3 already look fantastic, #2 should be seeing an improvement if our resident Extra is telling the truth ;)).

It sounds like HBO is going to town in order to recreate the Battle of Blackwater Bay, and judging from Rome's Battle of Philippi, they have the resources to pull it off, although one can argue that shooting infantry on the move is easier than shooting a naval battle. There's a reason why they didn't show the Battle of Actium, after all. What I'm wondering is how they are gonna bring Harrenhal to life. I was dissapointed to see what they did to the Eyrie, and I'm afraid they'll downscale Harrenhal, also.

It sounds like HBO is going to town in order to recreate the Battle of Blackwater Bay, and judging from Rome's Battle of Philippi, they have the resources to pull it off, although one can argue that shooting infantry on the move is easier than shooting a naval battle. There's a reason why they didn't show the Battle of Actium, after all. What I'm wondering is how they are gonna bring Harrenhal to life. I was dissapointed to see what they did to the Eyrie, and I'm afraid they'll downscale Harrenhal, also.

I thought ROME's Battle of Philippi looked ok, but a might bit thin.

Was thinking it would have been better to put a lot of effort in the Battle of Actium since that was final decisive event of that Roman civil war.

I agree, Boojam, but we also have to be realistic. Rome was already the most expensive show on premium cable WITHOUT shooting any major battle scenes. It would have been epic to see Actium brought to life, but that would have gone way over the budget. One huge battle per season was already more than these people bargained for, I think. Hell, you ask me, we were lucky to get a second season of Rome. That's why I'm not holding my breath for Harrenhal or Blackwater. :crying: :crying: But I've been wrong before, so let's hope for the best. ^_^

I'm looking forward to the Blackwater episode as much as the rest of you and I hope they do it really well. At the same time I just hope that they don't over do it. I was rewatching the LOTR trilogy on blu ray this weekend and I couldn't help but notice how badly the CGI in the battle scenes has aged in less than 10 years. The tighter shots that feature a ton of extras hacking and slashing at eachother still look amazing. But when they intercut these amazingly filmed battles loaded with costumed extras and stuntmen with those long-view aerial shots of CG armies charging at eachother... the difference between live-action and CGI is staggeringly bad.

I know a lot of people were let down that the Battle of the Green Fork wasn't shown on camera and so was I. But in the choice between nothing and a CG fest... I'd rather have nothing. All I would have needed to be happy with that battle was Tyrion battling with some Northmen for a few minutes while we see 25 extras going at in the background with no major CG to mess things up.

My hope for Blackwater is that they only use CGI to show the amount of ships that are battling eachother, kind of like that amazing shot of all the approaching ships in Troy(that shot is amazing because the focus is on the ships, not the rendered figures rowing them) but otherwise keep the CG to a minimum. I'm expecting to see a bunch of extras battling eachother while you can see ships on fire behind them with green screen/CGI. If they do any overhead shots of CG armies charging at eachother I'll be a bit disappointed, actually.

Edit: Not sure why people are worried about Harrenhal. The wide shots will look amazing, as did the Eyrie when Cat was approaching and you see the castle for the first time from a distance. As for the indoor sets... what is there to possibly screw up there?

Archived