[BOOK/TV SPOILERS] Arstan Question

Paladinmesser

I think the majority of new viewers will probably not recognize Barristan as Arstan, especially if he's given a beard. There are so many new characters coming into season 2, and by the time Arstan even appears, it will have been around ten episodes since he walked out on Joffrey. And he was only really in four or five scenes in the show in the first season--they really should have kept him on the small council.

For the tv show I don't think there's a real benefit to hiding that Barristan is Arstan. If viewers don't recognize him off the bat, that probably means they forgot about the character, so the reveal that he is Barristan won't really have much of an impact. I think they should show Barristan storming out on Joffrey in the "previously on" segment before whatever episode he appears in; that way most viewers know who he is and are probably excited that a character has come back.

I think they should show Barristan storming out on Joffrey in the "previously on" segment before whatever episode he appears in;

Yes. Very possible.

Those who don't remember him won't get the dramatic surprise when he reveals his identity. The others will recognize him from the start (even if it's not due to the credits), so in both cases, where is the point in hiding his identity to viewers ? It's just ridiculous on screen.

They can do a "previously on GoT" segment but even that wouldn't make it obvious to some people. So how do you make it obvious to people without wasting time on it? The whole Barristan = Arstan question is not that important to the plot. Even when he reveals who he is, you don't actually need to know that the old guy with Dany who said that he used to guard her father, was with Robert in S1. It adds a nice layer to the story but you don't lose much by not knowing.

So you might talk about things been ridiculous but (IMO) the only silly thing would be spending a lot of time explaining who Barristan is.

Those who don't remember him won't get the dramatic surprise when he reveals his identity.

The others will recognize him from the start (even if it's not due to the credits), so in both cases, where is the point in hiding his identity to viewers ?

It's just ridiculous on screen.

The first case is no different than the book was for those of us who didn't realize Arstan was Barristan. People who forgot the character will be reminded upon the reveal, and be like OH RIGHT!! That badass knight from book 1! Awesome!

As for the second case, like I said earlier, even many casual viewers who liked and remember the character of Barristan won't remember exactly what he looks like more than a season later, especially in disguise. They will be especially thrilled by the reveal.

Its only a "problem" for 10% of viewers and most of them have read the books. The rest will be happy that they're soo far ahead of everyone else.

People who forgot the character will be reminded upon the reveal, and be like OH RIGHT!! That badass knight from book 1!

I will be curious to see how they'll remind people. Lots of people wouldn't know his name right now, so that wouldn't be enough. Even a "previous on" probably wouldn't be enough. But maybe they will not worry about that minority who don't work it out even with clues.

I will be curious to see how they'll remind people. Lots of people wouldn't know his name right now, so that wouldn't be enough. Even a "previous on" probably wouldn't be enough. But maybe they will not worry about that minority who don't work it out even with clues.

Hmm. They could do it through dialogue, just like in the books. Upon being revealed, Barristan talks about how Joffery banished him as an explanation for why he was there. Once the scene is described most people should remember it. I suppose to make it more obvious, they could voice that over a clip showing a bit of the banishment (though so far they've avoided any flashback so...).

The first case is no different than the book was for those of us who didn't realize Arstan was Barristan. People who forgot the character will be reminded upon the reveal, and be like OH RIGHT!! That badass knight from book 1! Awesome!

As for the second case, like I said earlier, even many casual viewers who liked and remember the character of Barristan won't remember exactly what he looks like more than a season later, especially in disguise. They will be especially thrilled by the reveal.

Its only a "problem" for 10% of viewers and most of them have read the books. The rest will be happy that they're soo far ahead of everyone else.

The first case is not at all like in the book for those that didn't realize Arstan was Barristan. Not realizing that character A was really character B in disguise is COMPLETELY different than completely forgetting character B even existed. "Who is he again? Barristan? Oh, that one guard guy who took off his armor that one time? I think I remember him... So now he's with Dany? Ok, cool." NOT the same.

Some lessor percentage will remember the character and not realize that Arstan is not Barristan (if they made the attempt to conceal it, but many would realize it. Enough so that it really isn't worth it to try.

The first case is not at all like in the book for those that didn't realize Arstan was Barristan. Not realizing that character A was really character B in disguise is COMPLETELY different than completely forgetting character B even existed. "Who is he again? Barristan? Oh, that one guard guy who took off his armor that one time? I think I remember him... So now he's with Dany? Ok, cool." NOT the same.

Some lessor percentage will remember the character and not realize that Arstan is not Barristan (if they made the attempt to conceal it, but many would realize it. Enough so that it really isn't worth it to try.

I think I saw a picture of the actor on twitter and he had a beard , so maybe they will keep that part as in the books ?

I think I saw a picture of the actor on twitter and he had a beard , so maybe they will keep that part as in the books ?

Well, they can't cut the beard. It's plot driven, he needs to hide from Jorah for example.

He explains that he wanted to study Daenerys before.

We were debating the hiding but from viewers' point of view.

Archived