Best Character Introduction?

Biffyc7

I'm just done re-reading the series, and was trying to decide what was the best introduction any of the characters got during their debut appearance in the books? For me, it had to be Oberyn. The chapter when Tyrion goes out to greet him has to be my favorite in the book altogether, but that's a different matter. I also loved the Daario Naharis first glimpse, the arrogant peacock he is. But Oberyn didn't become a fan favorite despite his limited exposure, for naught.

I like Tyrion's introduction. Where he hops off the ledge, spins around, lands on his hands and vaults backwards. Quite the agile imp.

No offense, as I like Tyrion very much but imo that was a retarded introduction for him especially as it barely comes again in the novels and yes I know about ADWD but it's still stupid . I think the show did it better .

No offense, as I like Tyrion very much but imo that was a retarded introduction for him especially as it barely comes again in the novels and yes I know about ADWD but it's still stupid . I think the show did it better .

Yeah I agree, I remember when I started reading the series I always wondered why Tyrion did nothing like it ever again, always thought it was sort of strange.

As for the topic; Melisandre's intro in the CoK prologue was pretty hardcore, at first you think she is just some evil woman manipulating Stannis and the queen, but then she drinks almost all the poison Cressen gives her without so much as a grimace, from then on I knew she was the real deal.

Asha takes the cake imo thought but it's already been said.

I thought it was an odd way to introduce a character, and quite the opposite of how I thought he'd be. But really the speech that he gave afterwards is what made the whole thing memorable.

Euron- Gets the classic 'everyone goes silent once he enters' entrances.

Tywin- You hear about him all through GoT. Then once you meet him he does not disappoint. You feel the steely eyed authority he exudes.

Mance Rayder- The opposite of Tywin. I loved the anti-climax. I expected him sitting on a ice throne with some badass armor having a big booming voice. Instead you get a friendly chap entertaining people with songs. Ladies and gentlemen, Mance Rayder- The King Beyond the Wall.

Once I saw the title of the thread I knew people would cite my least favorite character Oberyn Martell.

I liked the emmon frey/genna lannister combination. Asha, as mentioned, Brienne.

Mance Raydar was probably the best though. Much more interesting than I expected him to be after the first two books.

Asha's intro kinda gave me a creepy vibe, given all the incest in the books already, but that's just IMO. It was kinda funny to see Theon humiliated at that point (being a pompous self-important arrogant prick then).

I liked Brienne's intro - first you just see a knight kicking everyones' asses in the melee staged by Renly, then you find she's a woman. I kinda liked that.

Lady Stoneheart (for all the flack she gets) had a pretty sweet intro, too. The hooded woman, pointing.

Alleras gets a cool intro - mad archery skills!

and it's really Oberyn's daughter Sarella, even better!

The Mountain that Rides has a cool intro at the Hand's tourney (I remember thinking "OMG, this dude is not only an asshole [for killing his poor horse, I've a soft spot for horses], but frightening"). I loved the awesome swordfight between Gregor and Sandor.

Archived