Best Character Introduction?

Biffyc7

Ramsay Bolton - I honestly had no idea it was him disguised as Reek. "The wretch is dead." And BANG! Smashes Theon in the face with a mailed hand and captures Winterfell.

So much this. That was a chilling intro, and really sets the tone for meeting this monster in other capacities.

Asha's was great.

I'm also a fan of the Greatjon throwing a fit about leading the vanguard, getting his fingers ripped off and then laughing about it. Badass.

:agree:

also Jojen and Meera. loved their oath.

and Ygritte. I vaguely already knew about her and Jon so when he found out the person he was about to kill was actually a girl I pretty much whispered "yeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss"

Brienne of Tarth, "A Beauty!" Loved her intro, kicking ass.

Asha was funny.

I know this is not really an "introduction" because Vic was in ACoK(very briefly though!), but he had no lines so I will count this...his Reaver chapter in AFfC was fucking hardcore. I think that was his first chapter, AFfC is the only book I don't have handy right now so I could be wrong.

Oberyn was by far my favorite. After two and a half books of just waiting and wondering when I'll finally get to see some Martells that's how you make an appearance.

Also, it's not really an introduction as much as it was a reveal, but Aemon Targaryen. That scene was awesome in the books and brilliantly acted in the show.

Asha's was fantastic, and the bit where she introduces her husband and child to Theon was almost as good.

I think my favorite character introduction though, just for how chilling it is and how it tells you absolutely everything you need to know about a character, is Gregor Clegane's when he rides out for his first match in the joust tournament. Ned sees him and thinks about how he kinda sorta fought with him during the Greyjoy rebellion, and then he goes through all the things he remembers about Gregor. He's 7 and a half feet tall. People call him The Mountain That Rides because he's so big. He's the lord of his household ever since his father's sudden death. He's had 3 wives -- all of whom have died under mysterious circumstances -- and no children. And his little brother Sandor left home to become a warrior as soon as he was of age and has never gone back home once, not even to visit. Its obvious, from Ned's choice of words, that everyone knows Gregor killed them himself.

One paragraph inside Ned's head and you know this guy is an utter monster, someone who stands head and shoulders above even these brutal people living in a violent culture.

Asha, as already said numerous times, by far the best.

I think I also like Eddard's, in his own way, in Brandon's chapter, beheading a deserter. And "the man who passas the sentence should swing the sword". The whole Eddard.

Lord Tywin. He wasn't at Winterfell, so you don't see him at first. Then everyone just builds him up as being the coolest, most imposing person, for most of the first book. Ned summoning him to King's Landing makes people nervous. Then he shows up and is awesome. Also in the show, the first thing you see him do is field dressing a stag (a real stag, too). That was awesome, and while doing so he was berating his own son and talking about how to bring the Lannister's glory.

Gregor's first appearance was cool in that it showed how powerful he was, decapitating a horse and all, but it was kind of lame and over a game, rather than for what I feel would be a good reason. That makes it less cool in my book.

Walder Frey. From the minute Catelyn started talking to this guy, I knew I liked him for some reason. That only increased after the Red Wedding, but even in his first apperance, when he was a sleazy old man who had been widowed 7 times and has 20 sons, I liked that.

Gregor Clegane's intro really established just what a crazed prick he is.

Barristan's re-introduction in the Dany storyline was awesome. I was one of those knuckleheads that totally let the "Arstan Whitebeard" thing go over my head, so his reveal made me "Squeee!" a little bit lol.

The absolute coolest entrance however was Melisandre's. The prologue chapter in ACoK is one of my favorites. Perfectly written. A great sense of urgency and dread was established throughout and then at the end you realize that the Red Witch is NOT to be fucked with.

Ditto on Asha - a charming surprise.

Lady Stoneheart. Definitely a "Whooooaaa" moment there.

Dany. The anticipation of a betrothed young girl just about to get married to a warlord whom she never met before...not sure about ayone else, but it drew me in. I wanted to quickly read on and hope for the best, and also tie in to all her subtle growth for independence and strength.

Missandei. I loved her calm intelligence! And then the whole scene transfered to Dany's best moments of outsmarting the slave dealers and taking the Unsullied.

The Reed Kids. There was just something oddly touching/empowering to see a long time family friend of the Starks show up to show their support and loyalty during a dire time. And then you get to see the early bond Bran had with them.

Shagga Son of Dolf.

Sandor. First giving off the impression of being nothing more than a brute, but then turned out to have more character to him than percieved.

Others include Queen of Thorns, The Others/Night's Watch and Syrio.

Archived