Theon Greyjoy; Azor Ahai Reborn?

Its jon snow, melisandre is keen on him why?, he is the (unconfirmed) son of rhaegar and ned sister(forgot her name) meaning he would be a prince and of the dragon bloodline(which is a pre-requisite i think), jon snow dreams of fighting the others with a red sword in his hand. Next book melisandre will do a "beric" and bring him back to life, mark my words

she's just horny , stanis doesnt satisfy her enouff

• 2 years later...

Theon was born on Pyke in amidst Salt and smoke ( the Sea and the war torn Iron Islands), he died as Theon, once in Winterfell, then he became Reek and in the face of fear, showed courage. He is with Stannis and what if, somehow, he gets hold of the flaming sword and SAVES the North. After all there is potential in Theon Greyjoy. He is easily my favorite character who is completely Grey, reflecting his name... Theon GREYJOY, Son of Balon

Its jon snow, melisandre is keen on him why?, he is the (unconfirmed) son of rhaegar and ned sister(forgot her name) meaning he would be a prince and of the dragon bloodline(which is a pre-requisite i think), jon snow dreams of fighting the others with a red sword in his hand. Next book melisandre will do a "beric" and bring him back to life, mark my words

Nope, she will do a "MMD" and bring his body back to life, not a "Beric"...

Nope, she will do a "MMD" and bring his body back to life, not a "Beric"...

Up till now the Red Priest's 'kiss of life' is the only unexplained phenomenon in the books. MMD paid for life with life, and it was still not enough to revive Drogo with his soul intact. One would assume that any Red Priest/ess with enough magic ability would be able to perform it, otherwise Thoros is a truly exceptional character. Plus he was presumably taught how to do the magic CPR in red mage school, so there's a probably precedent there.

Up till now the Red Priest's 'kiss of life' is the only unexplained phenomenon in the books. MMD paid for life with life, and it was still not enough to revive Drogo with his soul intact. One would assume that any Red Priest/ess with enough magic ability would be able to perform it, otherwise Thoros is a truly exceptional character. Plus he was presumably taught how to do the magic CPR in red mage school, so there's a probably precedent there.

Thank you for bringing this up! I think Thoros is a truly exceptional character. He is the only one who can... you know...raise the dead!! Not really a minor ability, not like Mel's tricks for example. He also apparently learns to see in the flames, and the fake fire sword is no longer fake at least when Beric uses it (he lights it with just his blood before he fights the Hound).

So I nominate Thoros to be tossed into the pool of potential AAs, and here's why:

1) It's too soon for AA to have already been identified. This was supposed to happen "when the stars bleed" (stars, plural - not one comet. Might fit the starry knight killed on the Wall, which puts the right time frame at about the present time in the books) and darkness lies heavy on the world. During this "dread hour"... Again, things have been bad but it's not dark yet- in fact, winter has just now officially begun (again confirming AA should be appearing any day now). Things were still warm and cheery (relatively speaking) when Dany woke her dragons

2) As far as the whole rebirth thing, Thoros has certainly changed A LOT, both physically and as a character, since the first book. He now truly believes in his faith, and has some pretty amazing abilities.

3) Yes, about those abilities... He can RAISE THE DEAD. As far as we know, he is the only one who can do this. How do we know? B/c he resurrected Beric by saying standard funeral rites- words that are presumably spoken by red priests planetos-wide all the time (virtually every funeral of a R'hllor believer) - and we haven't heard anything, not one peep, about any dead being raised anywhere, by anybody other than him (well, anywhere south of the Wall ;) ). So it seems highly unlikely that this ability has come to anyone but Thoros, making him extremely special.

Even more so due to this here description of AA (from the wiki, Haldon talking to Tyrion):

Benerro has sent forth the word from Volantis. Her coming is the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy. From smoke and salt was she born to make the world anew. She is Azor Ahai returned ... and her triumph over darkness will bring a summer that will never end ... death itself will bend its knee, and all those who die fighting in her cause shall be reborn

Why do we tend to ignore this description of a KEY AA identifier? Surely Benerro is not less trustworthy than Mel- in fact, he seems like a leader of the church of R'hllor, and is likely very well versed in prophecy. The "raise the dead" criterion is one met by Thoros, and only Thoros, among all our potential candidates.

4) Lightbringer. Let's see, Thoros can already set swords on fire, and it appears he no longer requires wildfire to make this happen. Also, for those of us who believe Oathkeeper will be Lightbringer (a nice theory that I tend to agree with), Thoros is about to be 'in a room' with this sword. He needs to draw it out of a fire. Ok, so Brienne is killed, and her body burned (we are, after all, in the company of R'hllor followers, of course they burn the dead), and for whatever reason, Thoros reaches in there and takes the sword. Maybe it starts doing funky things in the fire, and he remembers the prophecy from his early training. Or he just doesn't want to let a cool red sword go to waste. Either way, it's not super far fetched that he could end up with Oathkeeper/Lightbringer very soon, and he already has the 'technology' / magical ability to control when it burns.

5) AA is supposed to be a warrior. Dany is a queen and a conqueror, but I wouldn't call her a warrior. (Also there is no sword anywhere near her). Jaime, perhaps. He too could take the sword when Brienne dies. (He's my backup pick ;) ) Davos, not really. I sometimes pray it'll somehow be Arya, and Needle will be Lightbringer, but unfortunately the evidence really doesn't point in that direction. So for the warrior description too, Thoros seems best. He has won multiple melees at tournaments, and has been fighting with the BwB for years now.

(Jon? Perhaps, but his followers don't rise from the dead, and he has the wrong sword. He may, however, be the dragon that Thoros, as AA, "wakes from stone" when he is resurrected later on, perhaps after having been placed in a stone tomb)

What's missing are the salt and smoke. But since those seem to be interpreted pretty loosely here, Jamie might cry while Brienne's body is burned. Voila, salt and smoke. Or maybe that part has already happened, when he led the attack on Pyke during the Greyjoy rebellion. There was salt from the sea, and smoke from the war (and his sword was burning). Or, option 3, they have smoked salted ham for dinner. :P

So, even more than Dany who can't raise the dead and who doesn't have a sword and isn't a warrior (she really doesn't fit that well, does she), I say Thoros fits the description quite well! Thoughts? :)

ETA: this doesn't mean Dany or Jon are not the PWWP, if he and AA are not one and the same. Thoros obviously is not of Valyrian/Targ descent, or of Aerys and Rhaella's line.

• 6 months later...

So is Ramsay still Ramsay Snow when Melisandre looks for a glimpse of AA and sees only Snow? Because if so, this explains why. Also explains why she sees uncapitalized snow the second time, Theon being in the snow outside Winterfell. Not sure if the timelines match however.

• 1 month later...

Theon Greyjoy should at least  be an accepted theory for being AA

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Azor_Ahai/Theories

quoting one part from A Clash of Kings

Theon had never seen a more stirring sight. In the sky behind the castle, the fine red tail of the comet was visible through thin, scuttling clouds. All the way from Riverrun to Seagard, the Mallisters had argued about its meaning. It is my comet, Theon told himself, sliding a hand into his fur lined cloak to touch the oilskin pouch snug in its pocket. Inside was the letter Robb Stark had given him, paper as good as a crown. 

later on in the same chapter, the bold bit is formatting

"Bow your head." Lifting the skin, his uncle pulled the cork and directed a thin stream of seawater down upon Theon's head. It drenched his hair and ran over his forehead into his eyes. Sheets washed down his cheeks, and a finger crept under his cloak and doublet and down his back, a cold rivulet along his spine. The salt made his eyes burn, until it was all he could do not to cry out. He could taste the ocean on his lips. "Let Theon your servant be born again from the sea, as you were," Aeron Greyjoy intoned. "Bless him with salt, bless him with stone, bless him with steel. Nephew, do you still know the words?"

"What is dead may never die," Theon said, remembering. 

Archived