NFL Thread #5

BLU-RAY

You're a huge bandwagon fan. It's not an implication, it's a direct statement. From my recollection you've said that you like Chicago, Indy (but don't now that they suck), Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Tebow, the Packers, the Lions, the 49ers and possibly the Jets. Your fandom is about as fickle as a Real World reunion show.

I don't think that's what fan means. I like the Lions this year because they have been so bad for so long that it's nice to see them win a little. I'm not a Lions fan, it's just a passing thing with little investment. But without this kind of interest, the league is boring.

I can say I like Rodgers because he is a good player who is fun to watch. He increases my enjoyment of watching football. I'm not a fan of his, and I certainly hope he has a bad game whenever it will benefit the Skins.

Also, has anyone noticed that Peyton isn't appearing in as many ads this year? I figured that with him hurt, he could be devoting more time to advertising, and that would be a good thing because his commercials are usually pretty funny. I still think that grin after he yells "best arm in the neighborhood!" to the paperboy is hilarious.

A million athletes before Tebow have done the inappropriate displays of worships. Like pretty much every Hispanic in MLB. Burress has been doing the go down to one knee and pray TD celebration for years.
Does he do it after every catch? How about at the end of the first quarter? How about on every kickoff? On every field goal? Does he have a commercial for it?

Because that's what Tebow has done in various games.

Also, has anyone noticed that Peyton isn't appearing in as many ads this year? I figured that with him hurt, he could be devoting more time to advertising, and that would be a good thing because his commercials are usually pretty funny. I still think that grin after he yells "best arm in the neighborhood!" to the paperboy is hilarious.
HE actually appeared in one that looked horrible; he didn't move at all and he had this hideous rictus grin the entire time. I think that he has been in severe pain.

The two most memorable Peyton commercials for me are "Cut that meat! Cut that meat!" Actually I don't even remember what product this one was for, but at the end Peyton was outside of a restaurant trying to high-five employees: "Great buffet today, fellas!" and he flipped out when someone tossed him an apron.

OK, this is the internet and you can find anything... it was this:

I guess the buffet line was a different Mastercard commercial.

Then there was that Sony Bravia one where he had to hold back the chicken...

OK, that one isn't as much of a Manning-focused masterpiece, but it still cracks me up.

Okay, sorry. I didn't mean to imply you're a bandwagon fan, Sivin.

You're a huge bandwagon fan. It's not an implication, it's a direct statement. From my recollection you've said that you like Chicago, Indy (but don't now that they suck), Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Tebow, the Packers, the Lions, the 49ers and possibly the Jets. Your fandom is about as fickle as a Real World reunion show.

Hmmm... With your nonsensical statement, you managed to get quite a few things horribly wrong about me.

First off, I am a Colts fan, and will always be a Colts fan. However, it is certainly difficult to be happy-go-lucky about them right now. As I said before, I've never seen the Colts doing so poorly and it's new territory for me.

Secondly, I am not just a Colts fan, I am a Football fan. I love the game, and there are teams besides the Colts that I like to see do well. Those teams are; The Bears (because I like Jay Cutler, and a geographical influence), The Jets (mostly because they are the greatest New England Patriots deterrent, but also because I really like Rex Ryan who I believe is a breath of fresh air), and I want to see the Lions and 9'ers do well because their fans deserve something to cheer for.

Thirdly, I've already detailed why I like Tim Tebow.

And Finally, I've never said that I like Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or the Green Bay Packers. Now, I've said that Aaron Rodgers is playing the best football in the league right now, but that is a statement on how good a player is, not how much I like him, in fact I'd love to see him throw 5 interceptions a game. I hate Tom Brady, though I do respect him. And nothing would make me happier than to see the Packers miss the playoffs, I absolutely hate that team.

And this makes me a bandwagon fan?

The fact that I happen to like more than one team, as well as a certain quarterback who isn't very good, makes me a bandwagon fan?

I became a Colts fan because I live less than 2 hours away from Indianapolis, and the first football game I ever saw in person was the game where Peyton Manning threw his 49th touchdown pass of the season.

I started to like the Bears because I (once again) live fairly close to Chicago, which results in me seeing them play on most weekends. Combined with several of my friends being Bears' fans, which has influenced my interest in the team.

I want to see the Jets win because (as I said above) they are the best defense against continued New England (and by extension Tom Brady) Superbowls. Not to mention that Rex Ryan is a welcome relief from all of the stoic-type head coaches in the NFL.

Now, you dislike Timmy T. That's quite okay with me. As I said up thread, I'm a fan of his. But it's more a passing interest than it is a fervent devotion. I want to see him do well because I think that he's interesting, but I don't weep at his failures. In the end, it means little to me. So, perhaps saying that I am a 'fan' of Tim Tebow was a rash mistake on my part.

So do me a favor. You hate Tim Tebow, I don't really care. I just think that the guy is interesting and I want to see him do well. Do me a favor and don't take your hatred of one player out on me by making wild insults that hold no merit.

So do me a favor. You hate Tim Tebow, I don't really care. I just think that the guy is interesting and I want to see him do well. Do me a favor and don't take your hatred of one player out on me by making wild insults that hold no merit.
Uh...okay.

You're a fan of three teams. You're a fan of one team entirely because of one player on another team. You're rooting for two other teams. You're a fan of the Colts and the Bears; tell me Sivin, who were you rooting for in the superbowl then?

Maybe it's verbiage, because I don't think you quite get it. I like the Manning-led Colts, but I'm not a fan of them. I like the Jets with Rex Ryan, but I'm not a fan. I even like the Seahawks being in Seattle.

And this really has nothing to do with Tebow; it's just the icing on the cake. We've been making fun of your fandom polygamy for a while now.

But I'm a fan of the Bears. I follow the Bears. I care about other games, but I'm only a fan of the Bears. Same goes for college football; there are a number of teams I like, but I'm only a fan of one. I only own clothing from one team.

So maybe you're a fan of just the Colts. Or the bears. or the Jets. And you just meant that you like those teams. But the way it's been portrayed? You're a fan of 3-6 teams at any given time.

There's nothing wrong with liking more than one team. I'm a Pittsburgh fan, but I am happy that the Lions aren't doormats anymore and I've been known to enjoy other teams' successes from time to time. I like to see bad teams do well for a change and I like anyone that beats the Patriots.

And Kal, in the post above, Sivin very specifically says he likes the Bears and Jets, not that he's a fan. I lurk a lot in this thread, since I don't get to watch many games, I don't say a lot. Sivin has said several times that he's a Colts fan, even though they're bad this year. I think even fans are allowed to say their team is terrible.

Archived