NFL Thread #5

BLU-RAY

Well, looks like the Skins are going with Beck against Carolina.Think it's the only logical move at this point contrary to what Santana Moss might think. Sexy's had 11 turnovers in 5 games which just kills a defensive oriented team. And he's successively played worse in each game this season. The Eagles game was rock bottom of a trend that's been building for awhile. And as we learned from his time in Chicago, once Bad Rexy gets rolling ain't nothing stopping that trend.

Solid Sexy Rexy post from KSK this morning...

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/10/a-cannon-is-silenced-in-dc.html#more-40596

1. Its a crying shame that after 6 HILARIOUS weeks, the Rex Grossman era has ended in Washington. Best part? He was STILL an upgrade over McNabb who is still win-less in Minnesota.

Similarly, when Ocho went out with an injury Carson Palmer put up the best numbers of his season throwing to Shipley and the like.

2. Seeing Ocho's problems doing the right things at the right time I really wonder whether or not he was a big liability. It's much better to have a WR running the right routes than having someone running random routes.

Just to point out that currently Ocho is doing neither in New England; he's completely clueless. He is rarely targeted by Brady for many reasons, most notably that he's usually on the bench. He simply does not get the offense at all. He's lost.

And now seeing the actual condition in the Palmer deal, its obviously not as bad; Palmer will most likley be a first and a second (unless the Raiders make it to the AFC Championship game). I still think that is too high, but the Raiders keep some draft-potential if Palmer is not amazing.

And now seeing the actual condition in the Palmer deal, its obviously not as bad; Palmer will most likley be a first and a second (unless the Raiders make it to the AFC Championship game). I still think that is too high, but the Raiders keep some draft-potential if Palmer is not amazing.

There's also the argument (weakened but not eliminated by the new CBA) that the Raiders draft so poorly anyway in the higher rounds that they really don't hold much value to them. They could even be considered a liability.

I'd love to look at teams drafting in consecutive years and see how good those 1st round picks are. Because let's say Palmer is a starting QB and is better than average for four years. Is that worth what value most teams get out of two first round picks?

My gut feeling is that 1st round picks are way, way overrated and the value of a franchise QB is way, way underrated.

I think this is one of the few situations in which you can go after a replacement and potentially not piss off the guy you are replacing. He's out due to injury, the backup sucks eggs, the season hangs in the balance, etc, etc.

If Palmer doesn't work out, I think they could go back to Campbell with a straight face. It's not like the Cutler/Cassel thing.

Can you though? Regardless of whether he stinks the joint up, don't you have to stick with Palmer regardless? You've just mortgaged a chunk of your future in a panic move.

My gut feeling is that 1st round picks are way, way overrated and the value of a franchise QB is way, way underrated.

Even taken at face-value, the problem with this comparison is that we are immediately upgrading Palmer to a "Franchise" QB. I don't think he deserves that; the Raiders may get "value" out of Palmer, but will it really be franchise-worthy? I don't see it. Again, bad knee, bad elbow, 32 years old, in a new "system." That's not franchise; its getting a once talented QB on the back-nine of his career. I don't understand how that's worth a first round pick, much less a first and a second.

Can you though? Regardless of whether he stinks the joint up, don't you have to stick with Palmer regardless? You've just mortgaged a chunk of your future in a panic move.

In the NFL you can. Sure, they burnt the picks if he stinks, but they can cut him at any time and go back to Campbell. NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and Palmer already got his upfront money from Cincy.

Even taken at face-value, the problem with this comparison is that we are immediately upgrading Palmer to a "Franchise" QB. I don't think he deserves that; the Raiders may get "value" out of Palmer, but will it really be franchise-worthy? I don't see it. Again, bad knee, bad elbow, 32 years old, in a new "system." That's not franchise; its getting a once talented QB on the back-nine of his career. I don't understand how that's worth a first round pick, much less a first and a second.

The knee is fine. He had ACL surgery and he hasn't had any knee problems since 2005. It's like saying Tom Brady has a bad knee.

Elbow is a whole other issue. His arm strength definitely decreased but ultimately, that wasn't the reason for his failure. It was due to bad decision making and errant throws. Now, I don't know if this had to do with the offensive line, bad receiver routes or Palmer's deteriorating skills but I do know this, when he had time and new receivers, he looked good. I don't think the system will be much of an issue as it's the same terminology he used in Cincy.

I like the weapons he has around him, I like the head coach and most of all, I like the weather. I think part of the issue Palmer had was the fact they were practicing in the freezing cold and when you have minor ailments, they don't get better in the cold. I suspect Palmer will revert back to pre 2008 form next year.

In the NFL you can. Sure, they burnt the picks if he stinks, but they can cut him at any time and go back to Campbell. NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and Palmer already got his upfront money from Cincy.

That fine in theory, and might even be common practice...but it sure doesn't send the right kind of message to Campbell who, regardless of his eventual upside, has been under the impression that he's the guy in Oakland...it doesn't help his psyche at all and to go back to him if Palmer falls flat?

It's a complete cluster.

Jaxom! Hi! How are you? Good? Nice. And the family? Good, good...

Oh, have you met my neighbor the Oakland Raiders?

:lol: I know right? Overstate the obvious much, right?

(But I love the delusions of grandeur you San Francisco fans are having this year...it's so like last year's Bears...) :P

If by "delusions of grandeur" you mean "holy shit! we don't actually suck right now? Seriously?" I love it too. If you meant "delusions of grandeur" as in the Bears are a blind Han Solo happy to see the 49ers, well that's pretty cool as well.

More in the sense that, "Hey, we're not too bad and the rest of our division really kinda blows, and hey, we play them each twice! Let's pad those stats and find ourselves in a two seed and way over our heads..." :P

OK. So you hold the 49ers in higher regard than I do? This could get awkward. You should probably talk to Manhole or trickster or something.

I'm still on record as being unconvinced until after week 12.

ETA: None of these facts will prevent me form talking smack to Zadok if he ever gets the fortitude to come back here.

Solid Sexy Rexy post from KSK this morning...

http://kissingsuzyko...html#more-40596

I'm so glad I can laugh at these posts much easier now.

1. Its a crying shame that after 6 HILARIOUS weeks, the Rex Grossman era has ended in Washington. Best part? He was STILL an upgrade over McNabb who is still win-less in Minnesota.

I seriously doubt the Grossman era is over - this is merely how it starts. Just wait until there are some injury problems or concussions. The Sex Cannon will be there to fill in!

OK. So you hold the 49ers in higher regard than I do? This could get awkward. You should probably talk to Manhole or trickster or something.

ETA: None of these facts will prevent me form talking smack to Zadok if he ever gets the fortitude to come back here.

Actually, I don't. But I can't argue with the fact that they're playing somewhat well in a division where they get the Rams twice, the Cardinals twice and the Seahawks twice...I guess I'm overstating again :P

I don't know that I'll be convinced even after week 12...

And hey, in regards to Zadok: That just goes without saying... :lol:

I admit that yours is the smarter take. It's too early to be talking playoffs or seeding. That being said, I am having a hard time curbing my enthusiasm. I find myself humming this God awful abortion of a tune when I'm all by myself...

WE DON'T TAKE NO STUFF, EVERYBODY KNOWS WE'RE TOO TOUGH!

Actually, I don't. But I can't argue with the fact that they're playing somewhat well in a division where they get the Rams twice, the Cardinals twice and the Seahawks twice...I guess I'm overstating again :P

Yet they've only had one divisional game so far this season, so you can't use that excuse yet. 3 tough road wins have got to mean something.

Archived