Did Jon find the Horn of Winter?

HashRouge

I don't know about it being mentioned, but a friend of mine had just that theory.

(I must admit I kinda missed it and only noticed the, well, horniness of the horn - whoa, that came out way wrong :P - when it was pointed out to me. :blush: )

I'll have to reread that part again. I remember them finding the cache but not a horn. Interesting idea!

Inside this cache, they also found an obsidian horn, which was obviously broken. Jon gave it to Sam, and

Sam had to give it to the Captain of the swan-ship to pay for his and Gillies voyage.

(was that even ADwD?)

I don't think that it is the horn of winter. If there is to be a horn used at all, it will be to bring the wall down. That can't happen if the horn is broken and forgotten down in Old town. I guess Sam could bring it back up, but with all the politics in Old town, that may be a while. The wall will fall early in the next book unless Grem has plans for a surprise 8th book, so it just doesn't fit. However, that isn't to say the horn isn't somewhere else. It could still be north of the wall, it could be in the Stark cryps, and it could even be on Shakkos with Ricken. After all, there must be a reason why he gets sent there and Davos has to go get him. If Shakkos wasn't important, Ricken would have just gone to white harbor in the first place.

Sam still has it when he makes it to the Citadel? It is obviously important for several reasons. First, it was with rather useful and powerful things in the box ( the dragon glass ) that Ghost found by the first of the first men.

Second, it is still in play, meaning it is being mentioned as in Sam's possession. Why, if not an important element to come ( unless a red herring)?

It is broken, but does the text say it was ever tried or did it just look broken? Maybe it will be repaired in all Sam's spare time learnign to forge a chain or two.. Sure would be a drag if someone was just trying to signal to the watch that night watch folks were trying to return to the wall and accidentally blew the horn that brought it down. Even worse would be if someone needed to signal others by blowing three times, but the first one collapsed the wall (bringing all those othe top down with it).

It is broken, but does the text say it was ever tried or did it just look broken? Maybe it will be repaired in all Sam's spare time learnign to forge a chain or two.. Sure would be a drag if someone was just trying to signal to the watch that night watch folks were trying to return to the wall and accidentally blew the horn that brought it down. Even worse would be if someone needed to signal others by blowing three times, but the first one collapsed the wall (bringing all those othe top down with it).

I agree that it must be used. Yes, it seems to be broken. Jon tried to sound it after he found it. Only after finding out it was useless, he gave it to Sam. But I think it's possible that it can be sounded only when special conditions are met. Exactly to prevent accidental blowing.

Hmm, there was also the saying that the Wall will not fall as long as the NW is true. And can we really argue that they still are true after all that happened? One way or another I'm sure we'll see the end of that structure and soon.

The horn is not obsidian. It's a horn. A horn is made of horn. You would need to find an animal made of obsidian to get an obsidian horn.

I also think the small one Jon found is the real deal. And it would have been hilarious if they had been able to make it sound and had heard a certain big rumble... Sam still has the horn, but he is not able to make it sound. So I guess he will be the one to find out what it is and how it works. I think it will be more about giants than about the Wall, though.

Also it's difficult to find out which horn could bring down the Wall if you don't really want to. No other chance than to make it sound and see what happens, much like red wire/blue wire in a movie with a bomb. Anyone else thinks those horns have become a little silly by now?

Maybe the horn will not bring down the wall, but have something to do with controlling the Others or the wights or the magic held by the Wall?

not sure it's a spoiler but

Like Eurons horn supposedly controls the dragons - and you die from sounding it

Archived