Did Jon find the Horn of Winter?

HashRouge

This is excellent! I swear sometimes I can be so daft! Of course, his mother was a Blackwood and they worshiped the old gods because they are descendants of the First Men! This entire thread is fascinating. I really need to finish AFFC, so that I can reread ADWD and check out the boards. However, instead of reading I spend most of my time here lol.

You're not daft! You have too high standards if you hope to remember 5000 pages of text in detail :stunned:

I haven't reread at all yet, I just started with aGoT a few days ago. But then again I try to stay away from the nitpicker threads :)

I was kind of put off by some of the posts in one of the earlier threads and I have no intention to have discussions with people who can't accept difference in opinion. I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong but I don't want my head bitten off for having a different view. Maybe I will make an appearance again when I have reread and feel like a good fight! :tantrum:

See ya!

You're not daft! You have too high standards if you hope to remember 5000 pages of text in detail :stunned:

I haven't reread at all yet, I just started with aGoT a few days ago. But then again I try to stay away from the nitpicker threads :)

I was kind of put off by some of the posts in one of the earlier threads and I have no intention to have discussions with people who can't accept difference in opinion. I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong but I don't want my head bitten off for having a different view. Maybe I will make an appearance again when I have reread and feel like a good fight! :tantrum:

See ya!

Oh I know exactly what you mean. I have had a few of those experiences too. Don't let it get to you. Take a break if you are disgusted but come back whenever you are ready. Especially since there are those who think you are a genius...namely me :)

I am not flattering you, honestly, for some reason I look at things from all angles after having discussions with you. I love your perspectives and even if I don't agree sometimes I still think they are damn good ideas. So don't disappear completely.

...yes... :crying:

I really hope the horn can't be used, it would be very weird if it enslaved the giants. But I have no idea what it's suppose to do. What Do you think it will do?

I don't particularily like the magic horns and all that, but it is the deal we've been dealt by GRRM :)

I for one have a hard time sleeping if I can't figure stuff out, so bear with us.

Be strong and patient and we will all cope :D

I really hope the horn can't be used, it would be very weird if it enslaved the giants. But I have no idea what it's suppose to do. What Do you think it will do?

I don't particularily like the magic horns and all that, but it is the deal we've been dealt by GRRM :)

I for one have a hard time sleeping if I can't figure stuff out, so bear with us.

Be strong and patient and we will all cope :D

:)

Right now the paper I am supposed to work my way through tonight is so upsettingly boring that magic horns seem suddenly so very, very nice! Wish I had one. As to what the Horn of Winter is supposed to do: wake giants from the earth, of course. Who will be awesome, wild, and free, and fight beside the Stark in Winterfell and the once and future King-beyond-the-Wall against the Others or dragons. More like a force of nature, fury of the wild-style. If we are lucky, GRRM will do something more with his Dunsinane-scene in Deepwood Motte and have some 'trees' march with them, too. As long as they shut up, I don't like talking trees so much.

But something is up with the seasons here, some crazy shrill magic seems to inhabit dragons as well as wights, so we need some force of nature/wilderness against that. The children of the forest are creepy little fellows and I hope they can provide something like that. I also like that tree-network notion. All we need now are some ancient sleeping giants to wake up and join the fun and help to restore some balance. I think the giants are like nature, neither good nor evil, but I hope they kick ass.

Did I mention I like wilderness romanticized? ;)

Right now the paper I am supposed to work my way through tonight is so upsettingly boring that magic horns seem suddenly so very, very nice! Wish I had one. As to what the Horn of Winter is supposed to do: wake giants from the earth, of course. Who will be awesome, wild, and free, and fight beside the Stark in Winterfell and the once and future King-beyond-the-Wall against the Others or dragons. More like a force of nature, fury of the wild-style. If we are lucky, GRRM will do something more with his Dunsinane-scene in Deepwood Motte and have some 'trees' march with them, too. As long as they shut up, I don't like talking trees so much.

But something is up with the seasons here, some crazy shrill magic seems to inhabit dragons as well as wights, so we need some force of nature/wilderness against that. The children of the forest are creepy little fellows and I hope they can provide something like that. I also like that tree-network notion. All we need now are some ancient sleeping giants to wake up and join the fun and help to restore some balance. I think the giants are like nature, neither good nor evil, but I hope they kick ass.

The question is, who's ass will they kick? I think whoever blows the horn will dictate that...in other words...dare I say it?...they are....ENSLAVED! :lol:

I'm so lucky I had not found this board and read the books when I was a student, I would not have gotten much work done!

So you think there might be other giants lurking somewhere? The ones we've seen, could they be only half-giants then, or another race completely? Or perhaps does "giants" simply refer to something being really big or mighty.

I really enjoy the notion of the Force of Nature as opposing the magic! I hope you are right about that, we don't need more magic, quite the opposite.

The trees should stay put if you ask me, I don't need an Ent poetry-slam in Westeros on the march :P

He he, I saw the Childrens use of their intranet refered to as tree-o-vision somewhere, that was a good way to put it.

The question is, who's ass will they kick? I think whoever blows the horn will dictate that...in other words...dare I say it?...they are....ENSLAVED! :lol:

You are walking on thin ice here my friend :D

This might be right, but the horn could also possibly be a summons to the old species, like a call to arms to protect the earth from the magic that could destroy it. That wouldn't necessarily have to make them enslaved. I guess you would want to be on the same team, so the right person is still aquired to sound the horn, or you kind of blew it. (Forgive me I can't help myself from making puns) ;)

This has been my assumption from when i first read it, it makes sense. I also am in the belief that Sam who now has possession of the broken horn will find a way to mend it during his Maester training. What purpose will this horn play in the grand scheme of things who knows.

You are walking on thin ice here my friend :D

This might be right, but the horn could also possibly be a summons to the old species, like a call to arms to protect the earth from the magic that could destroy it. That wouldn't necessarily have to make them enslaved. I guess you would want to be on the same team, so the right person is still aquired to sound the horn, or you kind of blew it. (Forgive me I can't help myself from making puns) ;)

It just doesn't make sense to me that we need a magical horn to summon giants that will fight magic? No, I am afraid I have to stand by the enslavement theory! Whoever blows the horn (every time I say this I giggle like a schoolgirl :lol: ), will be in control of the giants.

This has been my assumption from when i first read it, it makes sense. I also am in the belief that Sam who now has possession of the broken horn will find a way to mend it during his Maester training. What purpose will this horn play in the grand scheme of things who knows.

Yeah, Eira also thought Sam would play a part in the fixing of the horn. It's a good theory imho.

i think perhaps that is part of what Sam is to learn

:thumbsup:

That was my original thought as well, but I thought I was stupid for thinking it. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

(Not in being stupid, but in thinking Jon found the horn...) :)

Not stupid ....but....VERY SMART! :)

It just doesn't make sense to me that we need a magical horn to summon giants that will fight magic? No, I am afraid I have to stand by the enslavement theory! Whoever blows the horn (every time I say this I giggle like a schoolgirl :lol: ), will be in control of the giants.

Ah you are right of course! :D This would be incredibly weird, but still...

Now I'm going to get really creative to try this theory to the max...

Do you know anything on hunting elk (moose)? Well, the hunters make sounds (almost like a moooing sound) to attract the elk-bulls.

They sound like the elk-cows in heat and the bulls come a runnin'.

So the horn could be a little less magical than we think! It could be a she-giants horn calling the boys to their feet :)

No but seriously... The old species use some magic obviously, like the CotF and the warging and tree-o-vision. But they probably know that it's dangerous if the magic grows too strong, and the balance is disturbed. So I'm thinking the horn is magical but not like sorcery R'hllor crazy magical. It seems to be a disposable horn (one use only, like paper-cups) so it can't be used when it's not a life and death situation, maybe it can be repaired but it's very hard to do, so you wont bother unless there is no other solution.

So magical yes, but not... I can't find the word... Melisandre-R'hllor-crap. Instead it's natures own magic. (I'm sounding like a hippie I know)

Ah you are right of course! :D This would be incredibly weird, but still...

Now I'm going to get really creative to try this theory to the max...

Do you know anything on hunting elk (moose)? Well, the hunters make sounds (almost like a moooing sound) to attract the elk-bulls.

They sound like the elk-cows in heat and the bulls come a runnin'.

So the horn could be a little less magical than we think! It could be a she-giants horn calling the boys to their feet :)

No but seriously... The old species use some magic obviously, like the CotF and the warging and tree-o-vision. But they probably know that it's dangerous if the magic grows too strong, and the balance is disturbed. So I'm thinking the horn is magical but not like sorcery R'hllor crazy magical. It seems to be a disposable horn (one use only, like paper-cups) so it can't be used when it's not a life and death situation, maybe it can be repaired but it's very hard to do, so you wont bother unless there is no other solution.

So magical yes, but not... I can't find the word... Melisandre-R'hllor-crap. Instead it's natures own magic. (I'm sounding like a hippie I know)

lol, I love the She-giants horn thing. Okay I agree its not the Melisandre sort of magic but it's still magical. You can't use a magical instrument to summon something and expect it to work against the magic. It's sort of like Aladdin's magical lamp. He rubs the lamp and a genie shows up. The genie is a magical being and gives you three wishes which will be fulfilled through magic. Whoever rubs the lamp is the one the genie belongs to and who's wishes he needs to fulfill.

The same with the horn...whoever blows the horn...controls the giants ;)

haha, good genie-reference.

I suppose I couldn't make a wish for all magic to disappear? Wonder what the genie would say at that. He would probably check the users manual and show me the fine-print. No, no wishing against lamp-magic, that will short-circuit lamp, says right here in manual

haha, good genie-reference.

I suppose I couldn't make a wish for all magic to disappear? Wonder what the genie would say at that. He would probably check the users manual and show me the fine-print. No, no wishing against lamp-magic, that will short-circuit lamp, says right here in manual

:lol:

There is no way to get around the magic. If anything it is increasing with each book. I am dreading fassreiter's reaction to these post :wideeyed:

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

But nah. You need the Horn of Winter to WAKE the giants. That's the magic part. You don't need to control them because they are on your team anyway. Mance had already convinced those who had been left so far to fight for him, even if from what Osha told Bran, men and giants are usually not on friendly terms. They might not be intellectuals, but those we have seen have their own culture, they have even invented jokes already ;) You can talk with them. They are not as fierce as the dragons maybe, which are more like flying nuclear weapons, but have no brain at all. So you can easily enslave THEM. We have a dragon horn already.

Enslaved dragons, a slave army, fiery unnatural magic and crazy dragon riders on the one side - free people, trees and giants and the fury of the wild on the other. How about that? Let's keep up some cliches! Wise old Ents Pissed off, aggressive giants kicking the asses of some random firedemon's/Sauron's R'hllor's minions, minus all the funny Oxford talk and annoying little people crawling about, that would be nice. Who needs deconstructionism all the time? And the fate of Jorah and the Hardhome slavers proved the point that GRRM doesn't tolerate slavery in the north, by the way.

I thought it was nice that Jorah got a spoonful of his own medicine in ADWD. Slavery is definitely not promoted by the story so far so I agree it is less likely that the giants will become... enslaved.

Fassreiter: so do you think that in making peace with the giants, and by convincing them to join him, Mance has already done what the horn could have helped in doing? That there is no other purpose to the horn?

I really like the idea that it raises the old species in the north but I'm not sure this team will fight only the dragons, the Others may well be foes as well, resulting in war on two fronts.

I did picture R'hllor something like a mindless Sauron... I thought that R'hllor is probably more a concept and a rally-point than an actual evil-eye-dude. It still works for the comparison.

I liked that Wun Wun was a vegetarian :)

I'm still thinking that "giants" in "waking giants from the earth" means something else than actual giants, as we've seen them. Something else could be meant. Waking something giant from the earth, the giant powers of the earth, something like that.

Archived