Will Roslin Frey die in childbirth?

Actually, there is doubt, and I'm sure GRRM meant there to be doubt. Why have Roslin cry through the wedding, when he could have had her act just like Marg at the PW? Why make a point of Edmure forgiving her? I think that Roslin has far less culpability than Jaime or Tyrion. You could certainly argue that she was an accomplice to the Red Wedding, but she did not physically kill or hurt anyone the way Jaime or Tyrion did. Comparing her to Lancel is closer, as both were under the influence of very powerful older relatives who had a lot of control over them.

Now, though GRRM makes Westeros to be like the Wild West of lore, and gives the impression that there were no codified laws or punishments for anything and "justice" was just a free-for-all, however this is not true of the historical times he based Westeros on. In modern law courts, there are many, many gradations of "unlawful killing". (1st vs 2nd degree murder, degrees of manslaughter, etc.) Providing every killer with the exact same sentence (life imprisonment in most countries) would not be just at all, me thinks. Not that I'm a lawyer (though I've served on juries), and GRRM isn't either, but the idea that "anyone who could be linked to any crime deserves as much punishment as the actual active perpetrators or the masterminds" seems way too simplistic to me.

Of course there are graduations and differences in culpability. But while Roslin may only be judged for high treason and being an accomplice to mass murder while Lord Frey himself would be judged for high treason, the instigator of mass murder and a couple crimes more, there is no difference between judging somebody to deserve the death penalty two times and 6,000 times. Dead is dead.

And of course being pregnant should spare Rosling that fate.

Nevertheless, the arguments made are that those people should get of scot-free. And it's stated to be "justice", not an undeserved mercy.

Roslin herself is an especially grey case, Jaime and Tyrion are far more obvious examples.

My own personal theory is that Lady Stoneheart, on her neverending quest to murder all Freys, will eventually hunt Roslin down and have her murdered for her part in the Red Wedding, and kill the child too because she is a cold unfeeling zombie and that's what they do. Edmure, who seems to actually love Roslin despite all reason not to, will hate her forever, and will go on to sire different children by another mother and teach those children to hate the Starks as the bring nothing but death and strife. Thus Houses Tully and Stark, which were once bound by the closest of ties, will in the next generation become the most bitter of enemies.

Since Roslin dying in childbed mucks up my above theory I don't want it to happen. It just seems a little too convenient and cowardly for this serious. We haven't shied away from showing tough moral decisions and their ramifications on characters before, and I would hate to start now by taking an easy out with regards to a good Frey.

But. LS was a Tully first, and why should one Stark make the rest pay, most people including Edmure think House Stark is dead in the male line, which it's not. My personal theory is that Edmure will see what his sister has become, and put her out of her misery

Archived