How to kill a knight in full plate armour?

The Red Lion

If you can't piece a weak spot by the joints the best bet is to knock them down or get the Knight out of their armor.

Red hot sand was used for this and could be hurled at men in armor. All it takes is 1 grain of sand to slip underneath their armor and reach their skin and the Knight wouldn't be able to get it away without taking off his armor. Even if they didn't take off their armor and toughed it out, they would be distracted making them easier to knockdown and kill.

Everything has been said already but personally i would think aim for his horse first. Take that down and youv stopped his momentum, hurt him and made him far more vulnerable.

Reign up ,have a cup of tea, and then finish the bugger off

Everything has been said already but personally i would think aim for his horse first. Take that down and youv stopped his momentum, hurt him and made him far more vulnerable.

Reign up ,have a cup of tea, and then finish the bugger off

A man in plate on foot is still very dangerous, if hurt by the fall he might be out of the fight, but if you let him get back up your in for one hell of a time.

The way the TV show depicts Bronn killing Ser Vardis Egan, who was wearing plate-armour, is this believable?

ETA I don't mean the tiring him down bit, I mean the spot where Bronn put his sword in when Ser Vardis was on his knees.

The way the TV show depicts Bronn killing Ser Vardis Egan, who was wearing plate-armour, is this believable?

ETA I don't mean the tiring him down bit, I mean the spot where Bronn put his sword in when Ser Vardis was on his knees.

In the tv show ser vardis was not wearing plate, but an odd amaglamation(spelling?) of leather and mail. I was disapointed with this scene.

The armour ser Vardis wears in the TV series is not full plate.And yes with his armour the way he was killed is plausible.

In the tv show ser vardis was not wearing plate, but an odd amaglamation(spelling?) of leather and mail. I was disapointed with this scene.

Aha. Thanks for that answer. This explains why Bronn could get his sword so easily into that particular vulnerable spot.

Aha. Thanks for that answer. This explains why Bronn could get his sword so easily into that particular vulnerable spot.

Oh, dont get me wrong at the armpit is a vulnreable area, defended by mail its vulnerable to a thrust. Its hard to get at but even if vardis was wearing plate the move bronn uses would have worked, once he is dazed and beaten go for the kill and thrust at a joint. what vardis should have done was thrown himself at bronn and gotten him to the ground were a man in plate has the advantage and stabbed him with a dirk.

Just reread the bit in AGOT. There Ser Vardis is down. Bronn kicks the rondel aside to expose the weak spot between arm and breastplate and drives his sword under the arm and through the ribs, while in the show Bronn seems to go for the shoulder, for the spot near the subclavian vena / artery.

If Ser Vardis was wearing full armour I suppose this would not have been possible.

A man in plate on foot is still very dangerous, if hurt by the fall he might be out of the fight, but if you let him get back up your in for one hell of a time.

haha i know!The reign up and have a cup of tea was my unsuccessful attempt at wit. Duly noted i wont try again

Oh, I thought it was funny as well. Dont feel bad.

Ha dont worry i wouldnt take it to heart!!

This place is actually a pretty handy repository for information on a wide range of things. Trying to begin to write a book that iv had in my head now for a long time and questions like this keep popping into my head!! Very handy indeed

Historically there were 3 things that killed mounted knighthood:

1. Longbowmen/arbalesters;

2. Pike formations;

3. First firearms.

Bloodraven fought with a bow on Redgrass field, and killed Daemon Blackfyre, the strongest knight in the realm at that time.

Pod manages to put down Mandon Moore with a spear. From behind, but he was a tiny page and Moore the most dangerous of the Kingsguard.

I need not remind you of wildfire.

In a duel situation, however, it's all very subjective. Armor is both strength and weakness - though as a guy who actually trained in medieval swordsmanship I have to say it's far more of a strength, especially in a duel or melee. Pike or spear is very weak 1 on 1, it is only for large and dense formations.

And against longbows, arbalests and first firearms there developed a special kind of "proofed" armour which these weapons couldnt penetrate (although it was very expensive so only nobility could afford it). That's why armour remained in use, at least in cuirass form, until firearms developed so that no metal could compete. But very soon the bulletproofed vest and flak jacket appeared, so the race is still on.

With all said and done, If I had to fight an armored knight in an Asoiaf setting, I'd take a page from Aerion Brightflame's book and use a pot of wildfire.

Couldn't English longbows pierce plate? Likewise, something Jorah said in aGoT made me think that Dothraki bows could possibly kill a knight in armor.

They would only pierce the armour at ver close range. Long range they wouldn't pierce, but they would bruise and cause fatigue. There are some really good documentaries you can find on youtube about armour and weapons such as the long bow, lance etc.

Archived