NFL Thread 6. Fanatics unite!

Lord O' Bones

Not to butt into the thread o' hate, but I was wondering if anyone else could see this happening:

Colts finish the season with the #1 overall pick. They draft Luck. The Broncos, having completly colapsed due to the suckitude of Tebow at QB, have the #3 pick. They then trade a bunch of picks to the Colts for Luck.

It could be Elway all over again.

I think Bill Barnwell did a good piece on who is going to get Luck. And the answer is Miami.

Yes, the Colts could get Luck, but chances are they'll either want to trade him immediately for a boatload of pics to get another couple tries at a superbowl or they're going to go into full rebuild mode - which means trading Manning (if he's healthy). Of the two, Manning is going to be harder to trade thanks to his contract. So it may come down to that they can get more now for Luck than Manning and still try to win now while setting themselves up down the road.

Miami doesn't have a QB issue and is almost certain to be able to give up enough value (3 #1s + a couple other picks) to get him if the other team is offering. So even if they don't get the first pick they have the power to move up to get him.

What makes the NFL interesting for me is loving/hating teams. I mean, I can appreciate a good game of football, but I can't get into unless I care about one of the teams.

So I understand having a semi-rotating roster of teams that you want to win--it gives you someone to root for! Same goes for hating teams--love to hate 'em and watch their woes!

But I am a Patriots Fan. First, foremost, and always. They could sacrifice a kitten before every kickoff and I'd still be a fan. I've gotten in more arguments about being a "bandwagon" fan than I care to remember, but what it comes down to is I don't really give a fuck what other people think about my team. They're my boys, win or lose.

My number two team--that I'll always cheer for unless they're playing the Patriots--is the Packers, because I was born in Wisconsin. But it's a distant, distant second.

Other teams I like and want to win: Lions (I remember one of my brothers being a Lions fan when I was really little, and also, they sucked), Bills (can't explain this one, and yeah I cursed 'em to hell when they beat us, but still. actually this may go back to one of my brothers again.), random teams make it onto this list for various reasons...

I went through a season where I tried tried tried so very hard to like the Chargers because I knew I was going to live in San Diego. I couldn't fucking do it. I fucking hate the Chargers!!!

Other teams I loathe: Steelers, Ravens, Jets, Dolphins, Colts (the whole Manning vs. Brady thing), Raiders (self-explanatory), Cowboys (America's Team, puke), Vikings.

So if it's like a game between the Jags and Browns or something I probably am not going to bother watching as anything more than background noise.

Of the two, Manning is going to be harder to trade thanks to his contract. So it may come down to that they can get more now for Luck than Manning and still try to win now while setting themselves up down the road.

The Colts could decide to go on full rebuilding mode. Given the aging roster and this years debacle, this is a distinct possibility. I don't think the Colts are capable of contending even with a healthy Manning and the treasure trove of picks they will get for trading Luck. Just too many holes.So they could trade Manning for a boatload of picks; contracts can be restructured. Also they could try to get value for other aging players like Wayne. I would like to think they will want to trade Peyton to a contender as a show of respect and gratitude. In fact only a contender would probably want to trade for manning at any cost. He has about 3 years of elite level play left in him (if he is healthy). So a team that wants to win now and has the roster sans QB (e.g. Ravens, Jets, even 49ers) could mortgage their long term future for Manning. A team with too many holes (e.g. the Seahawks) may not want to trade for Manning.

As for the Colts, if they opt for complete overhaul around Luck they will not probably be planing on winning SBs in the next couple of years. So they don't have to worry about getting their path to SB blocked by Manning and his new team.

If the Colts get the number 2 or 3 pick they could still try to draft a franchise QB (e.g. Landry Jones, Matt Barkley).They know the value of a franchise QB.

Everyone hates my team... Envious whiners, all of ya'.

ME, that was a touching story. My brother had something like that happen with our father and the Bears, but my dad's more of a bandwagon fan than most, so it didn't take as deeply. But the beer, that's been with my brother all these years.

Everyone hates my team... Envious whiners, all of ya'.

ME, that was a touching story. My brother had something like that happen with our father and the Bears, but my dad's more of a bandwagon fan than most, so it didn't take as deeply. But the beer, that's been with my brother all these years.

Yeah, my pops is pretty much responsible for laying the foundation of my sports loves and hates.

Love the Giants (S.F.) Niners and Warriors. Hate the Dodgers, Yankees, Cowboys, Rams and Lakers. And pretty much any L.A. franchise just on general principle.

Since I grew up in the northeast suburbs of Philadelphia, I am an Eagles fan, though I tend to pay more attention to college football and usually enjoy watching that a bit more.

I have a little fondness still for the Giants since my grandfather used to take me to games at the Meadowlands when I was a kid, though I'll still root against them when Philly plays them.

Hate the Cowboys, Redskins, and the Ravens. Don't like the Jets all that much, but I'm pretty indifferent towards the rest of the AFC (including the Pats). Rooted for the Steelers in Super Bowl XL only because I wanted Bettis to get a ring.

"This is Bob Barker reminding you to help control the pet population....cheer for the Patriots."

:lol:

a team that wants to win now and has the roster sans QB (e.g. Ravens, Jets, even 49ers) could mortgage their long term future for Manning.

Ravens, maybe. I could see it happening. Jets, maybe, but I really doubt it.. 49ers, no fucking way. Not unless the 49ers make it deep into the playoffs and lose in a manner that is unquestionably almost entirely Smith's fault. And that is not going to happen.

holy parity

11 of 32 teams have similar records clogging up the middle. I'm not sure what you're trying to point out here.

ETA: Aha! They are all AFC teams. That makes more sense as far as mentioning it. Still, more clarification is always appreciated.

Ravens, maybe. I could see it happening. Jets, maybe, but I really doubt it.. 49ers, no fucking way. Not unless the 49ers make it deep into the playoffs and lose in a manner that is unquestionably almost entirely Smith's fault. And that is not going to happen.

The 9'ers have Kapernick, and they're apparently very excited about him.

Halfway through the season, and one loss separates the top 11 teams in the AFC

Halfway through the season and I feel like I know less about teams than I did at the quarter pole.

The Chargers were good... then they weren't.

The Raiders were not terrible... then they were.

The Chiefs were awful and their coach needed to be fired... then they weren't and they have the coach of the year.

The Lions were awesome... and then they weren't... and then maybe they were again.

Tony Romo blows games at the last minute... oh wait, well some things stay the same.

My point is that after four games in, many of the trends that seemed like they were being established have now been turned upside down. Man I love the NFL!!!

There would be a certain poetic quality to Manning finishing his career in Baltimore. If he has game left when he comes back from the surgery, I might not hate this, although that's a hell of a contract, so I hear. Might help some old Baltimore people exorcise the demons of the Colts leaving at last, though.

Although a better scenario would be Flacco getting out of game manager territory.

Archived