Am I missing something about Mistborn? I'm really not seeing where all this praise is coming from...

Jaerid

I do find Sanderson somewhat overrated (not on this board, but on others I frequent and generally round the 'net he seems to get huge amounts of love) but even his most ardent fans are generally aware of the flaws in his work and anyone describing him as the James Joyce of fantasy is just insane.

If you're looking for the high king of fantasy literature, look no further than Gene Wolfe.

Gene Wolfe is the king of literature. Period.

I used to think Sanderson was a rising star. Not great, but he was improving and I was hoping for good (if perhaps not great) things from him.

After Way of Kings though, I'm not so sure. Thank god I loaned that one before buying.

Sanderson gets way more love everywhere else on the internet than here. Personally I'm glad I listened to sffworld, GameFAQs, MalazanEmpire, Goodreads, etc, because I love the hell out of his books. Honestly I think people here a lot of times are more concerned with judging books like a critic than actually enjoying them, but that's just my opinion.

"written first" in what sense?

I know he's had the idea for the series for a long time. I've never heard anything about it being actually written before though.

I always was under the impression it was a novel he wrote before that he took out and polished up. Honestly, I've been up for days writing about Shakespeare sonnets, so I'm kind of loopy, and I could be pulling this out of my butt.

Sanderson gets way more love everywhere else on the internet than here. Personally I'm glad I listened to sffworld, GameFAQs, MalazanEmpire, Goodreads, etc, because I love the hell out of his books. Honestly I think people here a lot of times are more concerned with judging books like a critic than actually enjoying them, but that's just my opinion.

/facepalm

Not me. I love a good fun-and-enjoyable book to turn off the overly critical brain bits, and WOK is JUST NO FUN. I could go on with a wordiness that might rise to Sanderson's own ankles, but I won't. Unless prompted.

Sanderson is the book equivalent of a good Spielberg summer film. Its fun and there's cool stuff and there no boobies but you don't really think about ti afterwards. Keeping in mind I havn't read WoK yet, I think his writing has been improving as he goes along. Warbreaker is definitely my favorite of his so far. I don;t get hwre the OP got the idea that he was worshiped around here or something, and honestly the tone of it makes me think someone is trying to start something.

Doesn;t Sanderson post on these boards.

Fuck it. Nap time.

I remember him posting back before he got the WoT gig. He even started a thread asking what we thought about this Warbreaker novel that was getting published. At the time, I figured he was just another wanna be writer, like me. How ever many years later, he is a major force in the fantasy fiction world (he is, regardless of your view of his writing) and I'm still tinkering, still a wanna be writer. :)

Aside from his WoT books, I've only read Elantris. It was a fun read. I plan on trying out Mistborn one of these days, but I'm not starting anymore multi volume epics. Wot and ASOIAF have burnt me out.

He did a while ago, though he pretty much has stopped posting on all boards. You can be that his assistant Peter is reading this thread though.

Honestly I think people here a lot of times are more concerned with judging books like a critic than actually enjoying them
Do you mean critics don't enjoy anything? I don't think it's the case. I think most of the critics around here actually criticize stuff they didn't enjoy in the first place.

But I guess it's a sign of the times, that not stopping to think critically when reading would be implied to be bad, on a board untitled "literature".

(And I don't even dislike Sanderson or Mistborn, it was just mediocre and forgettable in my eyes)

Way of Kings was likely written prior to Elantris. It was a book meant to be published in place of Mistborn, I think, and they went with Mistborn instead.

This talks a bit about an Amazon page that provided some laughs and had been up for years in 2009, to give you an idea of how long the book had been planned and announced prior to release.

Do you mean critics don't enjoy anything? I don't think it's the case. I think most of the critics around here actually criticize stuff they didn't enjoy in the first place.

But I guess it's a sign of the times, that not stopping to think critically when reading would be implied to be bad, on a board untitled "literature".

(And I don't even dislike Sanderson or Mistborn, it was just mediocre and forgettable in my eyes)

I think it's just a different mindset around here than other sites I go to. See any Dresden Files thread for example; people are constantly admitting it's not high literature but justifying their enjoyment by saying it's like a mindless, fun, summer blockbuster. People here just seem more critical.

Amen brother. I love all the trash talk about a PUBLISHED author from a bunch of would be, some day, soon to be authors/critics on this site.

If you don't like him don't read him. If you can do better than DO IT and stop bitching.

Archived