MLB: Offseason Sweepstakes Edition

Myshkin

I hope this Papelbon signing backfires on the Phillies. Madson was doing great this year; really stepped up when he was needed. And since Madson had the gall to ask for just a bit less than Papelbon did, it means Madson effectively got screwed by the Phillies and used as leverage. They truly have become the new Yankees, all the worse for Mets fans, since one Yankees-like team in the area is enough to contend with.

But who knows, maybe we'll steal Madson away. Not for Papelbon money though, which would probably kill it for us.

I don't understand spending that kind of years on a closer, let alone money. They don't have another reliever they can have close games for them, and spend less money on another bullpen guy?

Also, I thought the Phillies didn't have a lot of money to spend this year. I guess they have a secret money tree somewhere. I'm jealous.

It's weird because Madson was asking for the same thing, only $1.5M less a year. And they're saying that Nathan and Lidge are also in the running to get somewheres around $8-9M a year. Definitely, for those two guys, I would never sign them for 4 yrs, even if it was for that kind of money. Each are in their late 30s and coming off injuries.

Papelbon and Madson are 30 and 31 and I guess that makes it ok to go 4 years with either of them? I dunno.

Heck... until Cliff Lee, Philly wasn't even willing to go more than 3 yrs on a starter, let alone a closer. That they would do so now is just that much closer to Yankees-type spending which will ultimately backfire on them, as it has the Yankees. Well, one can hope.

Change the name to "Miami Marlins"...is it because alliteration is easier on Ozzie...?

but, look at these fucking uniforms! http://tampabay.sbnation.com/florida-marlins/2011/11/11/2554718/miami-marlins-new-uniforms-leaked-images wow. that logo is awful. it is almost like the art department was like 'arizona, you think your logo and uniforms look ridiculous? not a chance! wait until you see what we have!'

pujols will not wear that.

their new stadium looks amazing though. yet in the end miami will still not likely give a half a shit about baseball.

I don't understand spending that kind of years on a closer, let alone money. They don't have another reliever they can have close games for them, and spend less money on another bullpen guy?

Also, I thought the Phillies didn't have a lot of money to spend this year. I guess they have a secret money tree somewhere. I'm jealous.

they are banking on him being the next Rivera and closing 40ish games a year for the next decade. I think it is mildly insane, but hey....not my money.

but, look at these fucking uniforms! http://tampabay.sbna...s-leaked-images wow. that logo is awful. it is almost like the art department was like 'arizona, you think your logo and uniforms look ridiculous? not a chance! wait until you see what we have!'

Oh I don't know. The home whites aren't THAT bad...however, those alternate Orange ones seem like they'd be more at home on a college campus...Syracuse might get jealous.

And you're right, Pujols won't want to wear that...

Finally some good news. And under $200 million. I didn't have high hopes for this deal since Dave Stewart is still super mad about the '88 WS.

you really think he is still ticked off over 1988? yeah. cause i am still living it like it was yesterday. i get a rush of endorphins every single time i see gibby take it over the wall and hear vin calling it. it is just one of those things that brings true happiness to my life.

As a Cards fan, I'm glad they choose someone "in house." Giving an interview to Sandberg is sacrilegious. I still say if it weren't for him, Tommy Herr would be in the Hall of Fame. Also, it grinds my gears that the only Cardinal game ever shown on ESPN Classic is when Willie McGee hit for the cycle only be upstaged by Sandberg's HRs in the 9th and 10th innings off Bruce Sutter.

As a Cards fan, I'm glad they choose someone "in house."

As a Cards fan, I like the Matheny hiring. If it works out and they contend for / make the playoffs, it's a great move. If it doesn't work out, then he's a transitional manager until a better hire can be found.

Giving an interview to Sandberg is sacrilegious. I still say if it weren't for him, Tommy Herr would be in the Hall of Fame.

Let's not get silly here. I was a huge fan of Herr's growing up, but he's no Sandburg, just like Ken Oberkfell and Terry Pendleton put together are no Mike Schmidt.

Also, it grinds my gears that the only Cardinal game ever shown on ESPN Classic is when Willie McGee hit for the cycle only be upstaged by Sandberg's HRs in the 9th and 10th innings off Bruce Sutter.

Hey, I've seen them show Game 6 of the 1985 World Series on ESPN Classic, too. :dunno:

Archived