MLB: Offseason Sweepstakes Edition

Myshkin

Ryan Braun has tested positive for PEDs. So sad. I hope they take away his MVP.

the thing that is fishy about the statement made about his appeal is the use of "intentional" in his quote.

and demonstrate there was absolutely no intentional violation of the program.

that just rings of Barry Bonds attempt at plausible deniability. It's too bad since there was hope the league was coming out of the roid era.

Someone on ESPN was doing a stat. breakdown on how much Albert is likely to help the Angels. The answer was sort of like "a little, but not as much as you might think, and conversely you shouldn't imagine St. Louis being hurt as much as you might think." He was making the case that landing Jimmy Rollins would be a really good move for St. Louis.

The problem with this statement is that it came from someone from ESPN. More and more in recent years, I'm finding ESPN to lacking in baseball acumen in general. I don't dispute the Jimmy Rollins thought, but the idea that Pujols won't help the Angels? That's rich.

What St. Louis needs to still be in contention:

To remain in the NL Central with Milwaukee weakened, the Astros leavning, the Cubs finding their way, the Reds continuing to employ Dusty Baker and the Pirates to be the Pirates.

This things up for grabs, man.

aramis ramirez to the brewers.

interesting. he will provide a bat to fill in for a possible departing prince fielder and a suspended braun.

but, what of the cubs (summon caliban?) they have this shiny new gm, some cash but have not even tried to really do anything with it pujols is off the market. will they make a play for fielder? or will they just sink into the mire as they have for the last several years?

Glad to see the Brewers are not freaking out like I am. I like the Aramis pick-up...that guy is GOOD.

I need the board's help for some perspective here....I am reading all about Braun and his claims of innocence and that there is something really weird with the test result, he deserves privacy for the appeal to go through, he is confident his innocence will come out. Also some of the tweets by other pros about tests that were overturned that you never hear about. Etc etc...

Is this all bullshit? Am I hoping against hope that the golden boy of Wisconsin (with pardons to Aaron Rodgers) is actually innocent? Fuck, I hope he is, but I think I am just fooling myself.

Help a guy out.

aramis ramirez to the brewers.

interesting. he will provide a bat to fill in for a possible departing prince fielder and a suspended braun.

but, what of the cubs (summon caliban?) they have this shiny new gm, some cash but have not even tried to really do anything with it pujols is off the market. will they make a play for fielder? or will they just sink into the mire as they have for the last several years?

I'm not Caliban, but I'll have to do. (And maybe this will be with a modicum of sanity too.)

They'll make a call on Prince, but he unless something happens on his end, I can't see the Cubs getting him.

And sink in to the mire? I'm delighted with the minor moves that Theo's made so far. He's done nothing that he hasn't said he wouldn't do. He's using his metrics to bring in guys to play to the strength of the park, all the while knowing (and tactitly admitting) that he's not going to work a miracle this year. Not with Zambrano and Soriano's money on the books. Both the DeJesus deal and the Stewart trade could be good as Theo seems to be pretty decent at identifying players who aren't as bad as their previous season would indicate and are bound to bounce back.

There are a couple other players out there I hear would be good in a Theo system on the North Side, but with those two contracts binding things up...so come on, Miami! Pony up and take Zambrano off our hands!

I don't expect the world next season, but I do know that without Albert and probably not Prince in the NL Central, it's totally up for grabs. Even for the Pirates.

Glad to see the Brewers are not freaking out like I am. I like the Aramis pick-up...that guy is GOOD a hitter.

Fixed that for you. I loved Aramis and hated to see him go, but I understand why they did. When he's on, he's a spectacular hitter. He's never been more than average with some flashes here or there in the field, especially after the hand injury a couple seasons ago.

I wondered why the Brewers went for him until I realized they'd traded McGehee to Pittsburgh...

There's nothing wrong with the signing, but remeber it won't be all roses with him is all...

Glad to see the Brewers are not freaking out like I am. I like the Aramis pick-up...that guy is GOOD.

I need the board's help for some perspective here....I am reading all about Braun and his claims of innocence and that there is something really weird with the test result, he deserves privacy for the appeal to go through, he is confident his innocence will come out. Also some of the tweets by other pros about tests that were overturned that you never hear about. Etc etc...

Is this all bullshit? Am I hoping against hope that the golden boy of Wisconsin (with pardons to Aaron Rodgers) is actually innocent? Fuck, I hope he is, but I think I am just fooling myself.

Help a guy out.

Well's there a chance its nothing.

However no drug testing appeal in MLB has ever been successful, so history is not on his side. Also his agent's statement didn't mention a false positive, instead he was talking about "unusual circumstances" without ever delving into them, and that doesn't sound good either.

It's such a shame too. Everything was looking so good for MLB over the past few months.

It's so hard to say. The instinct is towards complete cynicism, but it's not entirely certain until we hear more. Maybe he was taking a hair loss drug (still banned but not performance enhancing).

I want to hear if it's true that St. Louis offered Albert 5 years for $130 million. On the one hand, that's insane money per year, but he supposedly took it for an insult.

Insane? $26 million/year is high, but not much more then what he signed for in the end and is less then A-Rod's $30 million/year. If St. Louis wanted to do the short years but high payout they should've done 3 years for $120 million or something like that, where he'd smash threw the record for annual salary to take the sting out of the short deal. Considering his market value and what the other teams were offering 5 years for $130 million really is something close to an insult.

Speaking of Pujols, it's a terrible P.R. move to have your wife be the one to spill the supposed negotiations after the fact.

Can't Pujols and his crew just ignore the nimrods who don't get how baseball in the 21st Century works and pay attention to the fans who have said, "Sorry it didn't work out, but we get it why the move is good for Albert and for the Cardinals."

I don't want hard feelings, but apparently in Jordanesque way, Pujols thrives on that kind of thing. Feeling slighted and wanting to prove everyone wrong. Joe Posnanski put it pretty well in his blog post today... http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/12/12/the-real-albert-pujols/?sct=mlb_wr_a2

And the Barry Bonds saga comes to an end with a lol.

How much money was wasted on this shit?

Way way way too much. Actually been trying to find out how much was spent on his trials, etc and I can only find anecdotes that list it as over $10mm.

I do find it very funny/ironic that the thing he ended up being found guilty of is "evasive answers" - not even lying.

Twins are employing a bold strategy this offseason: Let everyone leave. I know it seems strange to let your best two offensive players leave, taking 1/3 of your homeruns with you while only losing 16% of your at-bats, but that's actually a bad deal!

Cuddyer and Kubel weren't going to be superstars, but they were about the best thing on the poo stain of our 2011 season (unless we count the stadium). I am unhappy.

If Mauer and Morneau combine to play more than 200 games, we might manage something. And if Liriano can figure out why he's awesome sometimes and a complete train wreck other times.

If not, I suggest us and the Sox have a sack race to determine who is the division's worst.

Granted. But at least the Twins still Gardy. He should be able to manage rings around Ventura. The Twins and Sox might fight for the cellar, but the Twins will still have a nice winning record agains Chicago this season. Just you watch.

Archived