What Country Does Each Kingdom Represent Historically?

I.Know.Nothing

As I'm sure others have said, I don't think there are any direct parallels. There might be hints of certain nations or regions, but overall it's plucked from George's imagination with a hint of historical pick-and-mix.

Though I do have a hunch the Westerlands is based in part on California and GRRM's negative memories of Hollywood. Tywin's the annoying producers. Tyrion's the abused and overlooked writers. It's got hills aplenty, it's heavily populated, it (used to be?) full of gold, and it's the wealthiest state in the US.

I always think of the north as Scotland and the riverlands England with the rest of Westeros parts of continental Europe.

But the war itself makes me think of the entire Middle East of recent years and shudder...

• 11 months later...

Westoros:

- The North = Nords (Those that invaded and settled in Scotland) notice how they have many similarities to Norse mythology? Like the White Walkers = Frost Giants.

- The Riverlands = Northern England

The Reach = France

- Dorne = Spain/ Mediterranean (Rhoynar Blood = Moorish etc)

- The Westerlands = Germany (Basically Aryan)

- The Iron Islands = Scandinavian (Your Basic Danish/ Jete Viking culture)

- The Vale = Scandinavian

- Kings Landing = Modern Day Southern England

- High Valyria = Is more EGYPTIAN than Roman, most advanced technology and culture once upon a time. Actively encouraged brother - sister incestuous marriage among the nobility, Damascus Steel (Not Egyptian exactly but DEFINITELY not Roman). Which also conveniently makes:

- The Summer Isles (located beneath Old Valyria) mainland Africa, the inhabitants of the Summer Isles are said to be darker thank any other race.

- Braavos = Syria/ Persia (Note the Faceless Men are The Hashishin of Syria, high priced fanatics of their god)

- Free Cities = Pretty much a mixture of Everywhere Else

- Ashai: A mix of the Russian Steppes and Armenian Caucas mountains (Hence Melissandre's light complexion

- The Stormlands = Mercia

Archived